Boot Windows 10 from a raid of floppy disks?

ItsDan

Maybe have a bunch of pcie to sata adapters or something, slap a bunch of floppy disks and readers in the computer, get a raid card, get a raid going, and wam bam, got windows 10.

Are you suggesting someone try this? It sounds good on paper, but (assuming raid 0 for speed) it would be crazy unreliable and still not that fast if you were going to use old flops

Optical Drive Poll: https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/1006309-optical-drive-survey/

Main Rig (Pulsar)

CPU: Ryzen 7 5800X MOBO: MSI MEG X570 Unify RAM: Corsair Dominator Platinum RG(4x8gb) 3200Mhz 16-16-16-32 GPU: EVGA GTX 1080 FTW ACX 3.0 Cooler: Noctua NH-U12S Chromax (LTT Edition) Storage: Intel 6000p 128gb boot drive, Intel 665p 1tb (x2), Samsung 850 EVO 1tb, Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro M Tempered Glass PSU: EVGA SupeNOVA G1+ 750W OS: Windows 10 Pro 64 bit  

FreeNAS Server (The Vault)

CPU: Xeon E5-2603 v3 MOBO: MSI X99 Tomahawk RAM: G.Skill Aegis (4x8gb) 3000Mhz 16-18-18-38 GPU: EVGA GT 710 Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 LED Storage: Intel S3520 x2 for boot, x16 in RAIDZ for storage, Seagate Ironwolf 2tb (Striped will be a steam cache) Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro Tempered Glass PSU: Corsair CX750 750W

2 minutes ago, Bitter said:

No?

My first thoughts too

Optical Drive Poll: https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/1006309-optical-drive-survey/

Main Rig (Pulsar)

CPU: Ryzen 7 5800X MOBO: MSI MEG X570 Unify RAM: Corsair Dominator Platinum RG(4x8gb) 3200Mhz 16-16-16-32 GPU: EVGA GTX 1080 FTW ACX 3.0 Cooler: Noctua NH-U12S Chromax (LTT Edition) Storage: Intel 6000p 128gb boot drive, Intel 665p 1tb (x2), Samsung 850 EVO 1tb, Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro M Tempered Glass PSU: EVGA SupeNOVA G1+ 750W OS: Windows 10 Pro 64 bit  

FreeNAS Server (The Vault)

CPU: Xeon E5-2603 v3 MOBO: MSI X99 Tomahawk RAM: G.Skill Aegis (4x8gb) 3000Mhz 16-18-18-38 GPU: EVGA GT 710 Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 LED Storage: Intel S3520 x2 for boot, x16 in RAIDZ for storage, Seagate Ironwolf 2tb (Striped will be a steam cache) Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro Tempered Glass PSU: Corsair CX750 750W

I was wondering if it was possible, I was thinking of trying it, but couldn't find anything related to the topic, so I didn't want to waste money until asking around.

theres so Much “why” here I don’t know where to start.  This is a bad idea even with something 100x as large and much faster. Like Zip disk.

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

Guys, can I run Windows 10 on my RAID 0 array of VHS tapes?

Ryzen 5 2600 3.9Ghz all cores 1.175V | MSI X470 Gaming Pro | 16GB ADATA Gammix D10 @ 3000C16 | Sapphire RX 5700 XT Pulse | Samsung 970 EVO Plus 250GB & 2x Samsung 860 EVO 500GB | Super Flower Leadex II 650W | Phanteks P350X

Asus VG245HE 24" 1080p 75hz | Logitech X-540 5.1 | Logitech G710+ MX Brown | Logitech G502 Hero | Logitech G440

Just now, rares495 said:

VHS : **Video** Home System I'm sure you could record yourself using windows 10 and watch it that way. Thanks for trying though!

*waits for the “thousand dudes with abacuses” question*

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

45 minutes ago, rares495 said:

Actually I'm fairly sure you can store digital data on a VHS tape.

44 minutes ago, ItsDan said:

VHS : **Video** Home System I'm sure you could record yourself using windows 10 and watch it that way. Thanks for trying though!

https://www.popularmechanics.com/technology/gadgets/a27752/vhs-backup-hard-drive-90s/

Ah hem.

58 minutes ago, rares495 said:

Actually, there is a way to store data on VHS https://youtu.be/TUS0Zv2APjU it's basically just like storing data on LTO tapes.

18 minutes ago, Bitter said:

Actually I'm fairly sure you can store digital data on a VHS tape.

https://www.popularmechanics.com/technology/gadgets/a27752/vhs-backup-hard-drive-90s/

Ah hem.

I stand corrected, however, I believe pci(e) to isa might not be as stable as I would need, but that is an option.  I would still prefer to go the floppy disk route though..

23 minutes ago, ItsDan said:

I stand corrected, however, I believe pci(e) to isa might not be as stable as I would need, but that is an option.  I would still prefer to go the floppy disk route though..

3.5” 5.25” or 8”?  Not that it will really make that much of a difference speed wise.  I’m under the impression this is about the Rube Goldberg aspect rather than the practicality aspect.   Have you thought about data connectors?

3 minutes ago, Bombastinator said:

3.5” 5.25” or 8”?  Not that it will really make that much of a difference speed wise.  I’m under the impression this is about the Rube Goldberg aspect rather than the practicality aspect.   Have you thought about data connectors?

Looking at 3.5" options. I've actually been looking into Superdisk's but I'm not sure if that counts as a floppy disk, though it is technically the same technology if i understand it correctly. I'm thinking my biggest limitation will be the amount of disks i can have hooked up to one machine.

8 minutes ago, ItsDan said:

Looking at 3.5" options. I've actually been looking into Superdisk's but I'm not sure if that counts as a floppy disk, though it is technically the same technology if i understand it correctly. I'm thinking my biggest limitation will be the amount of disks i can have hooked up to one machine.

I would worry about port connections.  There may be adapter weirdness required.  My memory is floppy disks had a very different port type than usb.

3 hours ago, ItsDan said:

Maybe have a bunch of pcie to sata adapters or something, slap a bunch of floppy disks and readers in the computer, get a raid card, get a raid going, and wam bam, got windows 10.

This is not going to work. At best you could do this with LS120 drives. You would still need far too many SATA and power connections if you could pull that off.

The closest thing you might get away with are SCSI Jaz drives, you'd still need 8 of them.

1 hour ago, ItsDan said:

I would worry about port connections.  There may be adapter weirdness required.  My memory is floppy disks had a very different port type than usb.

another thing to think about is the issue Linus discussed in his 24 drive setup where he started running into weird issues.  Don’t know if they apply or not.

You would literally need somewhere around 25,000 floppies to hold an image of Windows 10. So no, unfortunately that's not going to happen. 

...not to mention the 25k floppy drives and non-existent 25k connector floppy interface.

MacBook Pro 16 i9-9980HK - Radeon Pro 5500m 8GB - 32GB DDR4 - 2TB NVME

iPhone 12 Mini / Sony WH-1000XM4 / Bose Companion 20

Well i watched Metal Gear Solid 2 on VHS.. unsure of same thing...

Ryzen 3600 4.33ghz . CM Hyper 212 Turbo. MSI X470 Gaming Plus Max. Crucial Ballistix Sport LT 3200 @ 3200 CL 15 (OC). Powercolor RX 5700XT Red Dragon. FD Meshify S2. Crucial P1 M.2 1TB. Corsair Vengeance 650W 80+ Silver.

Core 2 Duo 3.4ghz . WenjuFeng cooler . ASUS P5G41C-M LX . Crucial 1066mhz 3GB DDR2 . Gainward Golden Sample HD 4850 . Coolermaster Elite 430 . Seagate 160GB IDE 7200RPM . BeQuiet System Power 9 400w 80+ Bronze

-= Locked =-

I believe this has run its course.

The amount of Floppy disks you would need to install Win10 is enormous.

Attempting to boot Win10 from a floppy disk would a task of grand proportion and quite frankly not worth the cost/time/and most likely not succeed.

Posts like this, though may create "interesting" conversation but open up the OP to portions of the community that could/would redicule, and possible attacks.

Let keep these types of fantastic questions to a minimum.

COMMUNITY STANDARDS   |   TECH NEWS POSTING GUIDELINES   |   FORUM STAFF

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ   |   F@H & BOINC Badge Request   |   F@H Contribution    My Rig   |   Project Steamroller

I am a Moderator, but I am fallible. Discuss or debate with me as you will but please do not argue with me as that will get us nowhere.

Spoiler

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

Reputation is a Lifetime to create but seconds to destroy.

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

Docendo discimus - "to teach is to learn"

CHRISTIAN MEMBER