question about RAM

Go to solution Solved by ZzLy,
1 hour ago, SirTexas said:

so i just buy another stick of the same type of ram i have and i got duel channel?

Yes.

i have a stick of 8GB DDR4 RAM and someone says its impacting my performance badly why is that exactly i have 8gb the recommended amount needed to play the game

Having 2 RAM sticks in dual channel configuration is better, but you should have 2 sticks with same clock speed.

"Doing so, the maximum bandwidth of the memory doubles, because both modules are accessed simultaneously. Tests prove that, in memory-intensive applications, the dual-channel mode can improve the computer performance."

Just now, RageTester said:

Having 2 RAM sticks in dual channel configuration is better, but you should have 2 sticks with same clock speed.

"Doing so, the maximum bandwidth of the memory doubles, because both modules are accessed simultaneously. Tests prove that, in memory-intensive applications, the dual-channel mode can improve the computer performance."

how so exactly how would it effect gaming?

4 minutes ago, SirTexas said:

I only play old games, mostly one, guess it wouldn't matter on lightweight apps..., but other user said he had 15-20 % higher fps and he felt it got worse when one of RAM sticks died...

Not telling you must go and buy anything...

I only play old games, mostly one, guess it wouldn't matter on lightweight apps..., but other user said he had 15-20 % higher fps and he felt it got worse when one of RAM sticks died...

Not telling you must go and buy anything...

ops wrong button what if i went full 32 gb 4 sticks?

3 minutes ago, SirTexas said:

Is this the minimum requirements?
Aswel if you do not notice anything then it should be fine. RAM should not impact gaming, unless you have slow or not enough RAM.
You could check how much you are using by opening task manager while having the game running. Check at what capacity it is, and then evaluate if you should get more RAM.

Hope this was usefull to you :)

2 minutes ago, SirTexas said:

ops wrong button what if i went full 32 gb 4 sticks?

That would be overkill, still dual channel, but with 2 sticks per channel... 16 GB is plenty to run emulators and game at the same time...

Just now, Minymind said:

Is this the minimum requirements?
Aswel if you do not notice anything then it should be fine. RAM should not impact gaming, unless you have slow or not enough RAM.
You could check how much you are using by opening task manager while having the game running. Check at what capacity it is, and then evaluate if you should get more RAM.

Hope this was usefull to you :)

i know ram allows me to open more chrome/brave tabs

You have given minimal context, so I can only give a general answer.

With two sticks of memory, they work together at theoretically twice the speed.

Certain CPU platforms (mianly Ryzen and all integrated graphics CPU's) benefit a lot from it. I would consider dual channel memory a necessity and high frequency (faster than 2666Mhz) a highly wanted feature too.

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

That would be overkill, still dual channel, but with 2 sticks per channel...

i dont get it what does that mean?

2 minutes ago, SirTexas said:

i dont get it what does that mean?

You will not feel a difference if you go from 16 GB to 32 GB, unless you keep loads of RAM heavy things open...

You will not feel a difference if you go from 16 GB to 32 GB, unless you keep loads of RAM heavy things open...

what if i go from 8 to 32?

euler3d-ram-results2.jpg

wait shouldent that be double from 5000 to 10000?

100% boost only in theory...

img.jpg

how do i make my ram stick do that?

Just now, SirTexas said:

how do i make my ram stick do that?

Well you need 2 RAM sticks as I said b4... That image is confusing...

21 minutes ago, SirTexas said:

depends on what CPU you have and which game you play

But generally with a Ryzen CPUs having 2 sticks of RAM in Dual Channel significantly improves the performance.

wait shouldent that be double from 5000 to 10000?

depends on the application and the CPU.

You will basicaly never see 2x the improvement but it can often be around 20-30% and even more in some specific cases.

There, edited it myself...

dualRAM.jpg.fa50e4d6dd3832f817b39d13b9904b0e.jpg

ok so i got an 8700k

What we mean is 4 GB + 4 GB would work better than just one stick of 8GB, but as you already have that 8 GB, you could buy same one to use them both in dual channel setup.

What we mean is 4 GB + 4 GB would work better than just one stick of 8GB, but as you already have that 8 GB, you could buy same one to use them both in dual channel setup.

why is that shouldent one stick of 8gb ram be just as good as two 4 gb sticks?

7 minutes ago, SirTexas said:

Running memory in single-channel will cut your bandwidth in half, basically. In your case, 4+4 would be better than just 8 because it would be dual-channel vs single-channel. It wouldn't have any benefit if you already had two 8GB sticks, because 4+4+4+4 would still be dual channel like 8+8.

In short, adding in another 8GB stick, similar to the one you already have, should give you a noticeable performance improvement in most tasks, most likely including playing "the game".

Also, if you are just gaming, you don't need 32GB. 16GB will be more than enough for gaming and having a good bit of other apps open in the background without issue.

Desktop: Intel Core i9-9900K | ASUS Strix Z390-F | G.Skill Trident Z Neo 2x16GB 3200MHz CL14 | EVGA GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER XC Ultra | Corsair RM650x | Fractal Design Define R6

Laptop: 2018 Apple MacBook Pro 13"  --  i5-8259U | 8GB LPDDR3 | 512GB NVMe

Peripherals: Leopold FC660C w/ Topre Silent 45g | Logitech MX Master 3 & Razer Basilisk X HyperSpeed | HIFIMAN HE400se & iFi ZEN DAC | Audio-Technica AT2020USB+

Display: Gigabyte G34WQC

32 minutes ago, minibois said:

You have given minimal context, so I can only give a general answer.

With two sticks of memory, they work together at theoretically twice the speed.

Certain CPU platforms (mianly Ryzen and all integrated graphics CPU's) benefit a lot from it. I would consider dual channel memory a necessity and high frequency (faster than 2666Mhz) a highly wanted feature too.

He explained in the bolded part. Works faster together than with one stick of RAM. Just get another stick of the same ram you currently have. Then you'll be at 16 and life will continue to be great. ?

Leonidas Specs: Ryzen 7 5800X3D | AMD 6800 XT Midnight Black | MSI B550 Gaming Plus | Corsair Dominator CL16 3200 MHz  4x8 32GB | be quiet! Silent Base 802

Maximus Specs: Ryzen 7 3700x | AMD 6700 XT Power Color Fighter | Asrock B550M-Itx/AC | Corsair Vengeance CL 16 3200 MHz 2x8 16 GB | Fractal Ridge Case (HTPC)

Just now, GreatnessRD said:

He explained in the bolded part. Works faster together than with one stick of RAM. Just get another stick of the same ram you currently have. Then you'll be at 16 and life will continue to be great. ?

why arnt you suggesting i fill the entire thing with sticks and go full 32 from 8gb?