question about RAM

Go to solution Solved by ZzLy,
1 hour ago, SirTexas said:

so i just buy another stick of the same type of ram i have and i got duel channel?

Yes.

Just now, SirTexas said:

why arnt you suggesting i fill the entire thing with sticks and go full 32 from 8gb?

As you will not be using the full 32GB so you are wasting money if you do.

1 minute ago, SirTexas said:

why arnt you suggesting i fill the entire thing with sticks and go full 32 from 8gb?

$$$ saved, you can always upgrade later if you choose to

Because from what I read they said your mobo is dual channel. So it'll run better with two sticks instead of four last time I checked. And it cost more money for 4 sticks if it isn't needed.

Leonidas Specs: Ryzen 7 5800X3D | AMD 6800 XT Midnight Black | MSI B550 Gaming Plus | Corsair Dominator CL16 3200 MHz  4x8 32GB | be quiet! Silent Base 802

Maximus Specs: Ryzen 7 3700x | AMD 6700 XT Power Color Fighter | Asrock B550M-Itx/AC | Corsair Vengeance CL 16 3200 MHz 2x8 16 GB | Fractal Ridge Case (HTPC)

Just now, RageTester said:

$$$ saved, you can always upgrade later if you choose to

you said two would make my ram faster wouldent 4 make it 4 times faster?

Just now, GreatnessRD said:

Because from what I read they said your mobo is dual channel. So it'll run better with two sticks instead of four last time I checked. And it cost more money for 4 sticks if it isn't needed.

then why does my motherboard have 4 slots for 4 ram sticks and not just two?

2 minutes ago, SirTexas said:

you said two would make my ram faster wouldent 4 make it 4 times faster?

Read about what "DUAL CHANNEL" is, maybe use translate.google.com if it's language you can't understand...

then why does my motherboard have 4 slots for 4 ram sticks and not just two?

Lets say you need max capacity of ram that you can use in your slots. Wich would prob be 64.
And your motherboard only supports up to 16GB per slot, then now you are able to upgrade it to the full capacity.

Just now, RageTester said:

Read about what "DUAL CHANNEL" is, maybe use translate.google.com if it's language you can't understand...

why do i have 4 ram slots if can only use two what idiot thought that would be a good idea?

6 minutes ago, SirTexas said:

why do i have 4 ram slots if can only use two what idiot thought that would be a good idea?

You can still use all four slots. Dual-channel doesn't mean you can only use two out of the four slots.

God, this is infuriating.

9 hours ago, RageTester said:

dualRAM.jpg.642cfe56dc8b0f9e459937b3e9110ea6.jpg

so if i put ram in all 4 of them ill get double double channels?

37 minutes ago, SirTexas said:

so if i put ram in all 4 of them ill get double double channels?

no you will have 2 sticks using 1 channel and 2 sticks the other channel, there are just two channels max!

30 minutes ago, RageTester said:

no you will have 2 sticks using 1 channel and 2 sticks the other channel, there are just two channels max!

i heard of a thing called quad channel why cant i get quad channel with 4 ram sticks?

42 minutes ago, SirTexas said:

i heard of a thing called quad channel why cant i get quad channel with 4 ram sticks?

I am talking about most common motherboards... You never even said what motherboard you have, but your CPU 8700 only supports up to dual channel memory...

11 hours ago, RageTester said:

I am talking about most common motherboards... You never even said what motherboard you have, but your CPU 8700 only supports up to dual channel memory...

i have an 8700k most of the most amazing CPUs intel has ever created in recent history your saying an 8700k one of intels prime CPUs cant do quad REALLY?!

On 2/2/2020 at 10:40 AM, SirTexas said:

i have a stick of 8GB DDR4 RAM and someone says its impacting my performance badly why is that exactly i have 8gb the recommended amount needed to play the game

You're running in single channel mode, if you had two sticks (so 2 sticks of 4gb) you would have better performance because the cpu could write to two sticks at the same time, so more bandwidth. I'm not saying you should go out and buy 2x 4gb sticks, that would be stupid. Instead, save up for another 8gb stick so you can have 16gb while also running in dual channel mode. 8gb is becoming a bit of a minimum these days so 16gb will be a nice upgrade

41 minutes ago, ZzLy said:

You're running in single channel mode, if you had two sticks (so 2 sticks of 4gb) you would have better performance because the cpu could write to two sticks at the same time, so more bandwidth. I'm not saying you should go out and buy 2x 4gb sticks, that would be stupid. Instead, save up for another 8gb stick so you can have 16gb while also running in dual channel mode. 8gb is becoming a bit of a minimum these days so 16gb will be a nice upgrade

so i just buy another stick of the same type of ram i have and i got duel channel?

1 hour ago, SirTexas said:

Yes.