Random crashes while playing games

amsga
Go to solution Solved by TOPET3,

Has to be the card. I have a Sapphire Pulse 5700xt. I got a lot of random black screens with sound and then nothing. Sometimes when installing or updating drivers something fail and they are not stable. At least that is what Hardware Unboxed said.You must already read this but get latest bios version, unistall the drivers with DDU on safe mode and reinstall, in my case version 20.1.3 seems to do the trick.

Hi All,

I think there is something wrong with my graphics card or something related to it.

I am running with the following hardware:

• Ryzen 7 3700X
  • ASUS ROG Strix X570-F
  • G.Skill Trident Z Neo 32GB DDR4-3600
  • Power Color Radeon RX 5700 8GB Red Dragon
  • Seasonic PRIME Gold 650W

If I am doing anything light like watching YouTube or surfing the web, there doesn't seem to be a problem.

However, if I am playing games, there will be a random crashes.

Either my screen blacks out and nothing is responsive,

Or I am able to see an error about DirectX and I can go back to windows but I cannot load any videos from YouTube or any Audio as I am running Audio and Video from HDMI.

Any advice is greatly appreciated.

32 minutes ago, amsga said:

screen blacks out and nothing is responsive

Sounds like a failing power supply perhaps.

Have you looked in the Event Viewer logs for anything that might give you more clue as to what's going on behind the scenes?

NOTE: I no longer frequent this site. If you really need help, PM/DM me and my e.mail will alert me. 

8 hours ago, amsga said:

Hi All,

I think there is something wrong with my graphics card or something related to it.

I am running with the following hardware:

• Ryzen 7 3700X
  • ASUS ROG Strix X570-F
  • G.Skill Trident Z Neo 32GB DDR4-3600
  • Power Color Radeon RX 5700 8GB Red Dragon
  • Seasonic PRIME Gold 650W

If I am doing anything light like watching YouTube or surfing the web, there doesn't seem to be a problem.

However, if I am playing games, there will be a random crashes.

Either my screen blacks out and nothing is responsive,

Or I am able to see an error about DirectX and I can go back to windows but I cannot load any videos from YouTube or any Audio as I am running Audio and Video from HDMI.

Any advice is greatly appreciated.

1. Check the temperatures to make sure they're alright while gaming

2. Check if you don't have any overclocks running that could be tampering with stability

3. It doesn't have to be your GPU, it could also be ram or motherboard or anything really. You should test all the parts individually in other known good systems to check if they work alright.

Probably has something to do with that video card. I have a rx5700 and it’s going back to amazon. I’ve had more issues with this card then I have in all my years of using nvidia cards. 
Im talking about back to the 8800gt days 

No cpu mobo or ram atm

2tb wd black gen 4 nvme 

2tb seagate hdd

Corsair rm750x 

Be quiet 500dx 

Gigabyte m34wq 3440x1440

Xbox series x

14 hours ago, Radium_Angel said:

Sounds like a failing power supply perhaps.

Have you looked in the Event Viewer logs for anything that might give you more clue as to what's going on behind the scenes?

Just bought the PSU in December 2019.

Any idea what should I look out for the event logs?

6 hours ago, ZzLy said:

1. Check the temperatures to make sure they're alright while gaming

2. Check if you don't have any overclocks running that could be tampering with stability

3. It doesn't have to be your GPU, it could also be ram or motherboard or anything really. You should test all the parts individually in other known good systems to check if they work alright.

1. Any idea how to check the temps?

2. Running factory overclock, not sure if there is a base clock profile or not.

3. Sold my last system for this new complete overhaul. Gonna be tricky to test each part individually.

4 hours ago, Gohardgrandpa said:

Probably has something to do with that video card. I have a rx5700 and it’s going back to amazon. I’ve had more issues with this card then I have in all my years of using nvidia cards. 
Im talking about back to the 8800gt days 

I don't think I can get a refund from my local PC hardware shop.

At best I can only do an RMA for it and hope for the best?

5 hours ago, amsga said:

3. Sold my last system for this new complete overhaul. Gonna be tricky to test each part individually.

There are plenty of progrems to check temps. Google is your best friend here

12 hours ago, amsga said:

1. I use Hwinfo to monitor all my temps. 
2. Shouldn’t have to worry about that, just in case tho you can go into Radeon settings and try auto undervolting the card 

3. That sucks, most people only have 1 pc. 

No cpu mobo or ram atm

2tb wd black gen 4 nvme 

2tb seagate hdd

Corsair rm750x 

Be quiet 500dx 

Gigabyte m34wq 3440x1440

Xbox series x

Used Radeon Software overlay to show temperature readings.

My worst case was around 80 degrees C, but there was no signs of it crashing.

It did crash once at around 55 - 60 degrees C, so I don't know what to make of it.

Have you tried to change the PCIe setting in BIOS (if your motherboard has that setting) from Auto to Gen 3. I did it and that actually fixed all the BSOD I got on 5700 XT

SILVER GLINT

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X || Motherboard: Gigabyte X570 I Aorus Pro WiFi || Memory: G.Skill Trident Z Neo 3600 MHz || GPU: Sapphire Radeon RX 5700 XT || Storage: Intel 660P Series || PSU: Corsair SF600 Platinum || Case: Phanteks Evolv Shift TG Modded || Cooling: EKWB ZMT Tubing, Velocity Strike RGB, Vector RX 5700 +XT Special Edition, EK-Quantum Kinetic FLT 120 DDC, and EK Fittings || Fans: Noctua NF-F12 (2x), NF-A14, NF-A12x15

1 hour ago, Sakaki_Makio said:

Have you tried to change the PCIe setting in BIOS (if your motherboard has that setting) from Auto to Gen 3. I did it and that actually fixed all the BSOD I got on 5700 XT

Indeed, many motherboards are having trouble with the PCI-e 4.0 standards trying to connect when it's not able to.

CPURyzen 7 5800X Cooler: Arctic Liquid Freezer II 120mm AIO with push-pull Arctic P12 PWM fans RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws V 4x8GB 3600 16-16-16-30

MotherboardASRock X570M Pro4 GPUASRock RX 5700 XT Reference with Eiswolf GPX-Pro 240 AIO Case: Antec P5 PSU: Rosewill Capstone 750M

Monitor: ASUS ROG Strix XG32VC Case Fans: 2x Arctic P12 PWM Storage: HP EX950 1TB NVMe, Mushkin Pilot-E 1TB NVMe, 2x Constellation ES 2TB in RAID1

https://hwbot.org/submission/4497882_btgbullseye_gpupi_v3.3___32b_radeon_rx_5700_xt_13min_37sec_848ms

On 2/4/2020 at 10:56 PM, Sakaki_Makio said:

I'll go try that tomorrow. Not sure I have that setting though.

• 3 weeks later...

Finally tested with PCIe 3.0.

Still getting the crashes.

Interestingly enough, SWTOR does not seem to crash my PC after a good 12 hour play session.

Has to be the card. I have a Sapphire Pulse 5700xt. I got a lot of random black screens with sound and then nothing. Sometimes when installing or updating drivers something fail and they are not stable. At least that is what Hardware Unboxed said.You must already read this but get latest bios version, unistall the drivers with DDU on safe mode and reinstall, in my case version 20.1.3 seems to do the trick.

6 hours ago, TOPET3 said:

So far I don't see any BIOS updates for both the GPU or the motherboard in recent weeks.

I'll try the DDU trick. Previously I only used the factory reset option when installing the drivers.