Water Loop - High CPU Temp

I recently finished my new build with a custom loop (I'll attach a pic so you can see the loop) and it runs Distro > GPU > CPU > RAD > RAD > Distro. My water temperature sensor is at the bottom of the distro-plate.

I've been watching temps and noticed that my CPU seems to run a bit hot. In gaming it's not too bad, so perhaps it doesn't matter but thought I'd explore a bit so I started running Aida64 stress test on CPU/GPU.

During the stress test, the temps seem to shake out like this:

CPU immediately spikes to ~70c then climbs gradually to ~80c

Water temp reported as 28c and seems to stay there

• GPU/CPU running 100%
  • GPU steady around ~50c
  • CPU steady around ~80c
  • Water temp says 27c

Because of the way the CPU temp seems so much higher than the GPU in the loop (granted, the GPU is BEFORE the CPU and after two radiators in the loop so maybe it makes sense) that perhaps I need to re-seat the CPU block or something, although I feel pretty confident the paste and seating is fairly solid but we all make mistakes.

Very possible I could be nitpicking here too as again, during gaming it seems relatively fine with CPU temp closer to the 60c mark. Idle temps are typically under 40c

IMGP5035.jpg

I guess indeed GPU pre-warms water and CPU gets warm water to begin with so doesn't cool down that much. At what point of the loop is water temperature measured?

System looks cool!

Just now, RageTester said:

I guess indeed GPU pre-warms water and CPU gets warm water to begin with so doesn't cool down that much. At what point is water temperature meassured?

The water sensor is down at the bottom of the distro plate, you can kind of see it in the picture inbetween where the radiator goes back into the distro plate and then the inlet for the pump.

8 minutes ago, mrmeeseeks84 said:

The loop is fine, I think the mounting is also fine. Probably more to do with voltages and frequencies. CPU temp is almost always much worse than GPU temps which is down to IHS vs direct die, and small die vs big die.

PS The order of components doesn't matter, the GPU is not sending warm water to the CPU. 

9 minutes ago, For Science! said:

PS The order of components doesn't matter, the GPU is not sending warm water to the CPU. 

Of course it is, lol. 

But you are right, it doesn't matter because the temperature in the loop levels out and the water flow is too fast to make a notice. 

What CPU are you running btw? Is it OC'ed? What settings? 

Gaming HTPC:

R5 5600X - Cryorig C7 - Asus ROG B350-i - EVGA RTX2060KO - 16gb G.Skill Ripjaws V 3333mhz - Corsair SF450 - 500gb 960 EVO - LianLi TU100B

Desktop PC:
R9 3900X - Peerless Assassin 120 SE - Asus Prime X570 Pro - Powercolor 7900XT - 32gb LPX 3200mhz - Corsair SF750 Platinum - 1TB WD SN850X - CoolerMaster NR200 White - Gigabyte M27Q-SA - Corsair K70 Rapidfire - Logitech MX518 Legendary - HyperXCloud Alpha wireless

Boss-NAS [Build Log]:
R5 2400G - Noctua NH-D14 - Asus Prime X370-Pro - 16gb G.Skill Aegis 3000mhz - Seasonic Focus Platinum 550W - Fractal Design R5 - 
250gb 970 Evo (OS) - 2x500gb 860 Evo (Raid0) - 6x4TB WD Red (RaidZ2)

Synology-NAS:
DS920+
2x4TB Ironwolf - 1x18TB Seagate Exos X20

Audio Gear:

Hifiman HE-400i - Kennerton Magister - Beyerdynamic DT880 250Ohm - AKG K7XX - Fostex TH-X00 - O2 Amp/DAC Combo - 
Klipsch RP280F - Klipsch RP160M - Klipsch RP440C - Yamaha RX-V479

Reviews and Stuff:

GTX 780 DCU2 // 8600GTS // Hifiman HE-400i // Kennerton Magister
Folding all the Proteins! // Boincerino

Useful Links:
Do you need an AMP/DAC? // Recommended Audio Gear // PSU Tier List 

You have poor thermal conductivity between the chip and the cold plate, for whatever reason.

6 minutes ago, FloRolf said:

Of course it is, lol. 

Yes, definitely at a true molecular level. Though the more practically correct way of looking at it is that the pump is circulating water that is gradually getting heated up by the heat generating components as a whole.

1 minute ago, Chen G said:

Thermal barrier, probably a CPU with paste under the IHS

It's a 3700X

Correct, 3700x - just running it stock. No overclocking or messing with the voltages at this time.

4 minutes ago, mrmeeseeks84 said:

Correct, 3700x - just running it stock. No overclocking or messing with the voltages at this time.

I think the recent X570 boards will push the voltages and frequencies quite hard, perhaps have a look using HWinfo64 during the stresstest to see whats being requested for Vcore? Either negative offset or manual voltages (effectively undervolting) may get you better temps with no expense of performance. Just watch out for Zen2 there is some strange behaviour when you undervolt too much.

9 hours ago, For Science! said:

I think the recent X570 boards will push the voltages and frequencies quite hard, perhaps have a look using HWinfo64 during the stresstest to see whats being requested for Vcore? Either negative offset or manual voltages (effectively undervolting) may get you better temps with no expense of performance. Just watch out for Zen2 there is some strange behaviour when you undervolt too much.

Attached screenshot is what I'm seeing for voltages during stress test. VCORE says it's hanging around 1.256 with a peak of 1.312 I've seen it hit 1.328 as well after taking the screenshot. Guess I'll try and see what others are running for VCORE and what their temps are for this processor.

Also, an observation: My office is a bit cooler now in terms of ambient temperature, and the water temp is now 24c vs 27c and the CPU temp is hanging out at a more reasonable ~73c - 75c.

Room temp is 64f degrees vs it must have been around 74f in here when I was testing earlier

Maybe this is all normal, I guess just the vast difference in temp between my GPU and CPU makes me wonder if something is off with the block or something. *shrug*

voltages.PNG