Can I turn an old PC into a NAS with Windows Instead of FreeNAS OS?

Go to solution Solved by Nick7,
On 1/31/2020 at 4:41 AM, InsaneFire10YT said:

1. Is there a quick easy way to turn a Windows PC into a NAS server

2. Can I store games onto said laptop NAS and run them off of it?

1) In short: yes, just make a share, and off you go. However, usually you want redundancy with NAS, in case HDD dies or similar.

2) Mostly - yes. Some games/programs might have issues with using share. I'd suggest you map share to letter on your windows client.

There is 2nd option though, but more complicated - and that's iSCSI.

I've seen someone commented 'it will be bad' - which is not really the case. You will generally be limited to 1Gbit, so max speed you get is at best 110Mbytes/sec - this isn't that bad compared to standard HDD.

In my case - I have similar scenario. Currently running my VM's and games over iSCSI disks from my NAS. I do have SSD caching (bcache) for those iSCSI volumes, and honestly - it works really good, even over 1Gbit network.

Want to turn an old HP laptop with gigabit Ethernet into a NAS server for storing large files that I access infrequently (Mostly ISO files and gameplay recordings)

1. Yes, just create a folder to store thinks and share it. 

2. Yes but no, you can store some games onto the NAs but running them from it will be bad.

1 minute ago, Danioki said:

1. Yes, just create a folder to store thinks and share it. 

2. Yes but no, you can store some games onto the NAs but running them from it will be bad.

Can I set AMD ReLive to record to a NAS and have no problems or will it be bad?

Just now, NZgamer said:

Why do you want to use Windows and not FreeNAS?

I dont really know how to use FreeNAS and I felt that it would be easier using some software in windows

I tried researching your map network drive thing, and Im gonna try that tomorrow sometime

1 minute ago, NZgamer said:

I use FreeNAS, honestly it's simple to use and it will make transfer times a lot shorter over using windows since FreeNAS is dedicated software, and will not waste the computer's resources on unnessesary background tasks or a GUI that you won't need as a nas.

Only program I have installed on that laptop is Mcafee and Chrome. Plus I set the PC to "Do nothing" when I close the lid so no displays are connected, but the PC still runs in the background. Will it still affect speed?

23 minutes ago, InsaneFire10YT said:

Only program I have installed on that laptop is Mcafee and Chrome. Plus I set the PC to "Do nothing" when I close the lid so no displays are connected, but the PC still runs in the background. Will it still affect speed?

well mcafee will tank your speeds if it starts a disk scan.

Good luck, Have fun, Build PC, and have a last gen console for use once a year. I should answer most of the time between 9 to 3 PST

NightHawk 3.0: R7 5700x @, B550A vision D, H105, 2x32gb Oloy 3600, Sapphire RX 6700XT  Nitro+, Corsair RM750X, 500 gb 850 evo, 2tb rocket and 5tb Toshiba x300, 2x 6TB WD Black W10 all in a 750D airflow.
GF PC: (nighthawk 2.0): R7 2700x, B450m vision D, 4x8gb Geli 2933, Strix GTX970, CX650M RGB, Obsidian 350D

Skunkworks: R5 3500U, 16gb, 500gb Adata XPG 6000 lite, Vega 8. HP probook G455R G6 Ubuntu 20. LTS

Condor (MC server): 6600K, z170m plus, 16gb corsair vengeance LPX, samsung 750 evo, EVGA BR 450.

Spirt  (NAS) ASUS Z9PR-D12, 2x E5 2620V2, 8x4gb, 24 3tb HDD. F80 800gb cache, trueNAS, 2x12disk raid Z3 stripped

PSU Tier List      Motherboard Tier List     SSD Tier List     How to get PC parts cheap    HP probook 445R G6 review

"Stupidity is like trying to find a limit of a constant. You are never truly smart in something, just less stupid."

Camera Gear: X-S10, 16-80 F4, 60D, 24-105 F4, 50mm F1.4, Helios44-m, 2 Cos-11D lavs

I would use FreeNas as the above nerds mentioned, just watch a couple YouTube videos and you're golden. 

You already have Windows on it. Just create a network share and map it on your other computer. Takes 3 seconds.

I don't know why people are recommending to install another OS (FreeNAS) that you've never used just to share a folder. It's a laptop, I doubt you're going to install many drives in it.

On 1/30/2020 at 8:06 PM, NZgamer said:

I use FreeNAS, honestly it's simple to use and it will make transfer times a lot shorter over using windows since FreeNAS is dedicated software, and will not waste the computer's resources on unnessesary background tasks or a GUI that you won't need as a nas.

Speed is really the same. I have ran many nases and servers on windows, and the overhead doesn't really matter. Your normally just disk or network limited for a basic nas. The overhead of windows is pretty small.

On 1/31/2020 at 4:41 AM, InsaneFire10YT said:

1) In short: yes, just make a share, and off you go. However, usually you want redundancy with NAS, in case HDD dies or similar.

2) Mostly - yes. Some games/programs might have issues with using share. I'd suggest you map share to letter on your windows client.

There is 2nd option though, but more complicated - and that's iSCSI.

I've seen someone commented 'it will be bad' - which is not really the case. You will generally be limited to 1Gbit, so max speed you get is at best 110Mbytes/sec - this isn't that bad compared to standard HDD.

In my case - I have similar scenario. Currently running my VM's and games over iSCSI disks from my NAS. I do have SSD caching (bcache) for those iSCSI volumes, and honestly - it works really good, even over 1Gbit network.

• 4 years later...
On 2/4/2020 at 1:29 AM, Nick7 said:

I Dumping an old post so i dont have to make a new one. In win11 now dont re have the option to setup raid now? Like i have an extra PC with 10 bays i might slap all my drives in and make it w11 raid (software) and just use that as local NAS only... Trick to getting around Backblaze personal backup.

9 hours ago, JBizz said:

I Dumping an old post so i dont have to make a new one. In win11 now dont re have the option to setup raid now? Like i have an extra PC with 10 bays i might slap all my drives in and make it w11 raid (software) and just use that as local NAS only... Trick to getting around Backblaze personal backup.

You could do that since pretty much forever. (at least back to windows nt) raid has long been supported on windows.

9 hours ago, JBizz said:

Windows has been able to do striped and mirrored partitions for decades, and if you want to get fancier than that you can use Storage Spaces.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/storage-spaces-in-windows-b6c8b540-b8d8-fb8a-e7ab-4a75ba11f9f2

I sold my soul for ProSupport.