Planning on buying Noctua DH15 with 3950x.. what sort of blocked stuff due monster heatsink can I expect?

Windows95

I plan on getting this:

Fraktal define R6

Asus Aorus Pro (no wifi)

Noctua NH 15

RAM: https://www.gskill.com/product/165/326/1562840211/F4-3600C16D-32GTZNC-Overview

Will I have problems in terms of the heatsink blocking the ram, or something blocking features of the Aorus Pro (PCI lanes??) or not fitting on the define R6?

Im asking because Noctua went as far as releasing another edition (the DH15s) because it was too big for some rams.

Im just paranoid im going to spend all this money, then find out shit doesnt fit.

Anyone actually owns this combo by any chance?

The neo is tall, but it's not toooo tall.  And the D15s is more about fitting a GPU in the first slot, some mobos make it block that first PCIe x16

Want to custom loop?  Ask me more if you are curious

1 minute ago, Damascus said:

The neo is tall, but it's not toooo tall.  And the D15s is more about fitting a GPU in the first slot, some mobos make it block that first PCIe x16

and how do I know that? fucking hell

I'm using the U12A on a 3950X as of this weekend. It's doing extremely well and you won't have clearance issues.

1 minute ago, Den-Fi said:

I'm using the U12A on a 3950X as of this weekend. It's doing extremely well and you won't have clearance issues.

but i will have to raise the second fan making it look like a joke:

IMG_20180713_140521.jpg

like i said im gonna use a windowed case so not that concerned aesthetics wise, however... doesnt that damage the air cooling thing and make the hair go all over the place? it shoul be going in a straight direction, wouldnt that push warm air around the case?

Just now, Windows95 said:

like i said im gonna use a windowed case so not that concerned aesthetics wise, however... doesnt that damage the air cooling thing and make the hair go all over the place? it shoul be going in a straight direction, wouldnt that push warm air around the case?

0G1A7416-Edit.thumb.jpg.6f79e6f82b3c9cccf32c9ea7717cf471.jpg

That was not a U12A.... this is.

Just now, Den-Fi said:

0G1A7416-Edit.thumb.jpg.6f79e6f82b3c9cccf32c9ea7717cf471.jpg

That was not a U12A.... this is.

i want a d15

2 minutes ago, Windows95 said:

i want a d15

AFAIK the U12A is within margin of error from a D15 so...

Intel HEDT and Server platform enthusiasts: Intel HEDT Xeon/i7 Megathread 

Main PC 

CPU: i9 7980XE @4.5GHz/1.22v/-2 AVX offset 

Cooler: EKWB Supremacy Block - custom loop w/360mm +280mm rads 

Motherboard: EVGA X299 Dark 

RAM:4x8GB HyperX Predator DDR4 @3200Mhz CL16 

GPU: Nvidia FE 2060 Super/Corsair HydroX 2070 FE block 

Storage:  1TB MP34 + 1TB 970 Evo + 500GB Atom30 + 250GB 960 Evo 

Optical Drives: LG WH14NS40 

PSU: EVGA 1600W T2 

Case & Fans: Corsair 750D Airflow - 3x Noctua iPPC NF-F12 + 4x Noctua iPPC NF-A14 PWM 

Display: LG 27UK650-W (4K 60Hz IPS panel)

Mouse: EVGA X17

Keyboard: Corsair K55 RGB

Mobile/Work Devices: 2020 M1 MacBook Air (work computer) - iPhone 13 Pro Max - Apple Watch S3

Other Misc Devices: iPod Video (Gen 5.5E, 128GB SD card swap, running Rockbox), Nintendo Switch

3 minutes ago, Windows95 said:

i want a d15

Then buy one m8y.  If there is one, and you decide that having a 10mm offset is the end of the world, just don't use the extra fan.

Want to custom loop?  Ask me more if you are curious

With a D14/15 you can expect to not be able to get to your ram once you install the fan.

AMD R9 5900X | Thermalright Phantom Spirit 120 EVO, T30,TL-C12 Pro
Asus Crosshair VIII Dark Hero | 4x8GB G.Skill Trident Z @ 3733C14 1.5v
Zotac 4070 Ti Trinity OC @ 3045/1496 | WD SN850, SN850X, SN770
Seasonic Vertex GX-1000 | Fractal Torrent Compact RGB, Many CFM's

16 hours ago, Windows95 said:

i want a d15

Then what's stopping you? You can always move fan to other side if looking cool is what you are after.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

7 hours ago, LogicalDrm said:

Then what's stopping you? You can always move fan to other side if looking cool is what you are after.

my case will not even have a window

im just concerned about having a fan sitting halfway on the heatsink will just be pushing warm air all over the case tus making it worse

On 1/27/2020 at 10:09 PM, Damascus said:

Then buy one m8y.  If there is one, and you decide that having a 10mm offset is the end of the world, just don't use the extra fan.

the offset making air movement weird is what concerns me

we need an engineneer and draw air path physics on what happens if you cut the trajectory with that offset

24 minutes ago, Windows95 said:

my case will not even have a window

im just concerned about having a fan sitting halfway on the heatsink will just be pushing warm air all over the case tus making it worse

With that logic, it would be better. If front fan is pushing warm air over the heatsink, that is. I'm fairly certain that if Noctua felt like having fan like that would cause issue, they would have used 120mm fan instead. Besides, D15S comes with only single middle fan and difference in performance is minimal to D15.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

On 1/27/2020 at 12:38 PM, Windows95 said:

Will I have problems in terms of the heatsink blocking the ram, or something blocking features of the Aorus Pro (PCI lanes??) or not fitting on the define R6?

The NH-D15S is mainly offset to not block the top pcie slot. What increases the ram compatibility is the lack of a front fan. For ram, you can achieve a similar result by running the NH-D15 without the front fan. 

The cooler overhangs the ram so you won't get to see much of the sticks but it fits fine. Here's an example: https://pcpartpicker.com/b/hWyXsY

Please be more specific for the motherboard model. You can see any potential motherboard compatibility issues on the cooler website: https://noctua.at/en/products/cpu-cooler-retail/nh-d15/comp

29 minutes ago, Windows95 said:

It's not a huge difference and the center fan does most of the work. 

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

38 minutes ago, WoodenMarker said:

The NH-D15S is mainly offset to not block the top pcie slot. What increases the ram compatibility is the lack of a front fan. For ram, you can achieve a similar result by running the NH-D15 without the front fan. 

The cooler overhangs the ram so you won't get to see much of the sticks but it fits fine. Here's an example: https://pcpartpicker.com/b/hWyXsY

Please be more specific for the motherboard model. You can see any potential motherboard compatibility issues on the cooler website: https://noctua.at/en/products/cpu-cooler-retail/nh-d15/comp

It's not a huge difference and the center fan does most of the work. 

I dont want to compromise with d15s cause its a 3950x after all... any extra cº cooled down is good

the mobo is an aorus pro, ram is gskill tridentz neo

2 minutes ago, Windows95 said:

the mobo is an aorus pro

There are 4 atx am4 motherboards that have Aorus Pro in the name. You can check the motherboard compatibility list I linked above.

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

2 minutes ago, WoodenMarker said:

There are 4 atx am4 motherboards that have Aorus Pro in the name. You can check the motherboard compatibility list I linked above.

https://www.pccomponentes.com/gigabyte-x570-aorus-pro

this one

they say

AM4
Gigabyte
g1.png

6 minutes ago, Windows95 said:
AM4
Gigabyte
g1.png

Yep, the green check mark means that there should be no compatibility issues with the motherboard. 

16 hours ago, Windows95 said:

the offset making air movement weird is what concerns me

we need an engineneer and draw air path physics on what happens if you cut the trajectory with that offset

At that point just don't get a D15. If you want the lowest possible temps go liquid or just crank the fans to 100%.  The temp difference between the offset turbulence (if there even is any) or running a single fan will all be in margin of error anyway. Hell, if you're that bothered just get some low profile ram and run a D15 as it is.

FYI, I've got a 3700x with a D15s (with 2 fans and a black chromax kit) + LP RAM, no exhaust fan and all in an NZXT H200.  At full synthetic load on CPU + GPU with PTO enabled and GPU overclock I get 82C @ 58% fan speed after 2 hours.

On 1/27/2020 at 3:38 PM, Windows95 said:

I plan on getting this:

Fraktal define R6

Asus Aorus Pro (no wifi)

Noctua NH 15

RAM: https://www.gskill.com/product/165/326/1562840211/F4-3600C16D-32GTZNC-Overview

Im asking because Noctua went as far as releasing another edition (the DH15s) because it was too big for some rams.

Im just paranoid im going to spend all this money, then find out shit doesnt fit.

Anyone actually owns this combo by any chance?

I have a noctua NH-D15 and know it works OK with corsiar LP 'low profile' ram.   I had plenty of room.    It would works with some taller ram as well. 

On 1/27/2020 at 10:02 PM, Windows95 said:

it shoul be going in a straight direction

Says who? Planning to double the case as a windtunnel to test aircraft design? :)

Ultimately there will be tons of turbulence in a case anyway due to:

1. assymetry in case vent openings

2. Fans not being in absolute center of case

3. Fans not being on center of a single axis befween intake and exhaust openings

4. The mobo fan spitting outward, cpu fan spitting rearward and gpu fans suckingupward and spitting outward againts mobo and opposite side panel

5. Components and cables

This will heat up any box allround anyway without throughput of airflow aside of the cpu coolers static p flow to vent the air between the coolers plates.

This is why (for positive pressure setup) there are usually 2 or more intake casefans and N - 1 (N being intake fan count) exhaust fans.

Its a 5 step thing going on:

1. Die/IHS transfer heat to heatsink pipes

2. Heatpipes distribute heat to the plates/sheets.

3. Heatsink plates transfer heat to airpockets between the sinks sheets

4. Heatsink fans move heat from the sinks airpockets between the sheets to the case internal air volume.

5.The case fans move the heated case internal air volume out while sucking cold(er) air in

23 hours ago, Windows95 said:

just be pushing warm air all over the case tus making it worse

Thats what heatsink fans do in general, as intended, see the above. If they wouldnt theyd just serve no purpose.

23 hours ago, Windows95 said:

need an engineneer and draw air path physics on what happens if you cut the trajectory with that offset

?

12 hours ago, kieguru said:

At that point just don't get a D15. If you want the lowest possible temps go liquid or just crank the fans to 100%.  The temp difference between the offset turbulence (if there even is any) or running a single fan will all be in margin of error anyway. Hell, if you're that bothered just get some low profile ram and run a D15 as it is.

FYI, I've got a 3700x with a D15s (with 2 fans and a black chromax kit) + LP RAM, no exhaust fan and all in an NZXT H200.  At full synthetic load on CPU + GPU with PTO enabled and GPU overclock I get 82C @ 58% fan speed after 2 hours.

ive spoken to owners of 3900 with d15 and they report lower temps as far as i can remember

On 1/28/2020 at 8:02 AM, Windows95 said:

Don't buy that ram then. The cooler is gonna cover it anyway.

Main PC CPU: 7700K, MOBO: Asus Strix, GPU: Aorus Extreme 3080, PSU: EVGA Supernova G2 750, RAM: Corsair Vengeance 16GB Storage: 970 Evo 1tb

Lounge PC CPU: 4790K MOBO: Asus Hero VII GPU: EVGA 3060 Ti PSU: Corsair RM650 RAM: Kingston HyperX 16gb Storage: 970 Evo 1TB

11 hours ago, Windows95 said:

ive spoken to owners of 3900 with d15 and they report lower temps as far as i can remember

Yeah but that's just the H200 with limited airflow.  The point I was making was even though my case is less than ideal, at full system load and <60% fan speed I'm still getting decent temps.