Best handheld console?

GamerBlake

So here’s the thing.

I haven’t had a handheld console in a LONG time. No joke..my last handheld console was the original purple Nintendo Game Boy Color from the 1990s.

But I’ll be traveling a lot this year and since I can’t exactly game on my PC in the car or on the plane I’ve decided to get a handheld console.

But I don’t even really know what all the options are or what games each one has.

So I’d like to ask:

Does anyone know what the best handheld console is?

By “best” I mean one that has a lot of good games, good graphics, and can play for a good amount of time before needing a recharge.

All I really know about right now is the Nintendo Switch.

Is that a good handheld console or is there a better one?

Yes, I know it’s all opinion based, but I’d like to hear some opinions from people on what they would get.

Thanks! ? 

CPU: i7 8700K (5.1 GHz OC). AIO: EVGA CLC 280 280mmGPUEVGA XC2 Ultra 2080Ti. PSU: Corsair RM850x 850W 80+ Gold Fully Modular. MB: MSI MEG Z390 ACE. RAM: 32GB Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB (3600 MHz OC). STORAGE: 1TB Samsung 970 Evo Plus M.2 NVMe, 2TB Samsung 860 EVO, 1TB Samsung 860 Evo, 1TB Samsung 860 QVO, 2TB Firecuda 7200rpm SSHD, 1TB WD Blue. CASE: NZXT H510 Elite. FANS: Corsair LL120 RGB 120mm x4. MONITOR: MSI Optix MAG271CQR 2560x1440 144hz. Headset: Steelseries Arctis 5 Gaming Headset. Keyboard: Razer Cynosa Chroma. Mouse: Razer Basilisk Ultimate (Wireless) Webcam: Logitech C922x Pro Stream Webcam.

Depends on the games you will want to play.

For most people, the Switch (Lite) would be a great handheld. But a modded PSP (so with a bunch of emulators and legally gotten ROMs)  + new battery will do very nicely too.

I am kind of partial to GameBoy Advance consoles, usually SP due to their front/backlit screens and backwards compatibility with GameBoy (Color) games too.

Although a Nintendo DS Lite does really well too. Especially with a flash cart for emulation with legally gotten ROMs. Does Nintendo DS and GameBoy Advance out of the box and using emulator has a large library. Plus with its backlight screens it plays very well in all but the most bright environments.

Plus I have just had much more luck with their batteries, compared to the PSP.

Look into the games you want to play and from there figure out what has the largest library.

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

4 minutes ago, minibois said:

Depends on the games you will want to play.

For most people, the Switch (Lite) would be a great handheld. But a modded PSP (so with a bunch of emulators and legally gotten ROMs)  + new battery will do very nicely too.

I am kind of partial to GameBoy Advance consoles, usually SP due to their front/backlit screens and backwards compatibility with GameBoy (Color) games too.

Although a Nintendo DS Lite does really well too. Especially with a flash cart for emulation with legally gotten ROMs. Does Nintendo DS and GameBoy Advance out of the box and using emulator has a large library. Plus with its backlight screens it plays very well in all but the most bright environments.

Plus I have just had much more luck with their batteries, compared to the PSP.

Look into the games you want to play and from there figure out what has the largest library.

Wait so does Nintendo DS also play Switch games?

Id really like to try out Dragon Quest,

CPU: i7 8700K (5.1 GHz OC). AIO: EVGA CLC 280 280mmGPUEVGA XC2 Ultra 2080Ti. PSU: Corsair RM850x 850W 80+ Gold Fully Modular. MB: MSI MEG Z390 ACE. RAM: 32GB Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB (3600 MHz OC). STORAGE: 1TB Samsung 970 Evo Plus M.2 NVMe, 2TB Samsung 860 EVO, 1TB Samsung 860 Evo, 1TB Samsung 860 QVO, 2TB Firecuda 7200rpm SSHD, 1TB WD Blue. CASE: NZXT H510 Elite. FANS: Corsair LL120 RGB 120mm x4. MONITOR: MSI Optix MAG271CQR 2560x1440 144hz. Headset: Steelseries Arctis 5 Gaming Headset. Keyboard: Razer Cynosa Chroma. Mouse: Razer Basilisk Ultimate (Wireless) Webcam: Logitech C922x Pro Stream Webcam.

Just now, GamerBlake said:

Wait so does Nintendo DS also play Switch games?

No. 

Generally devices can only emulate other older devices. E.g. a Nintendo DS could emulate a GameBoy, or SEGA Genesis.. Or something like that.

2 minutes ago, GamerBlake said:

Id really like to try out Dragon Quest,

There are some Dragon Quest games on the Nintendo DS, not sure if they are any good. Never played them.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

3 minutes ago, minibois said:

No. 

Generally devices can only emulate other older devices. E.g. a Nintendo DS could emulate a GameBoy, or SEGA Genesis.. Or something like that.

There are some Dragon Quest games on the Nintendo DS, not sure if they are any good. Never played them.

Oooh I gotchya.

I think I’ll go with the Nintendo Switch Lite.

That one looks pretty good at a reasonable price of only $200.

Unless there’s something horrible about it that I don’t know?

3 minutes ago, GamerBlake said:

Oooh I gotchya.

I think I’ll go with the Nintendo Switch Lite. That one looks pretty good at a reasonable price of only $200.

Nope, really solid handheld with a nice library.

I travel a lot for work too and the Switch definitely is my favorite but I don't know if I'd get the Lite.  On planes it's nice to have the screen on the tray table while using the controller grip and the option to play on a hotel TV is something I'd miss.

A PS Vita would be my second choice because it's pretty cheap to collect for right now and there's tons of great games.

If you really really really like JRPG then New 3DS XL and Vita may be worth considering, but otherwise Switch mops the floor with the competition. Now three years in Switch has a very strong and diverse gaming library. And even if you are a huge fan of JRPG, Switch is probably still the way to go considering it has Xenoblade Chronicles 2 (amazing, most underrated game on the Switch), as well as the critically acclaimed Ni No Kuni that looks just like a Studio Ghibli anime, and the best version of Dragon Quest XI available. And it will have Shin Megami Tensei V also at some point. Basically the only way I'd advise anything other than Switch is if you're an enormous Shin Megami Tensei fan, since 3DS is absolutely loaded with SMT games.

To me there is only one downside to the main Switch: it's too big to put in a pocket unlike the Vita and New 3DS XL Having never used the Switch Lite I can't comment on how easy it is to carry, but for the main Switch you'll need a large carrying case. But it's a brilliant system and highly recommended.

The most powerful handheld is the Nintendo Switch.  I would argue get the second revision over the Switch Lite, as it has even better battery life, which is important in the handheld aspect.  It has some great games, some of the best from Nintendo in a long time, IMO.  It's library will continue to grow as well.  

The Nintendo 3DS line.  The New 3DS, 3DS XL, and 2DS XL are the most powerful of these.  There's a huge library of 3DS games, most good.  It's also backwards compatible with DS games.  Not the world's most amazing graphics, but they are good enough, imo.

The PS Vita and PSP are also good handhelds, they don't have as an amazing library as Nintendo's handhelds, but they're still solid.

Personally speaking, if you're just jumping in, get the Switch.  You have amazing games already such as Super Mario Odyssey, Legend of Zelda Breath of the Wild, Splatoon 2, Luigi's Mansion 3, Tokyo Mirage Sessions # FE Encore, Super Mario Maker 2, Astral Chain Pokemon Sword and Shield.  Plus more games are obviously coming, since it's their current handheld/home console.

Otherwise, you can get a Nintendo 2DS for like... $40 and it gives you a vast library of games already, just, nothing new will be coming.

Currently focusing on my video game collection.

It doesn't matter what you play games on, just play good games you enjoy.

22 hours ago, GamerBlake said:

Oooh I gotchya.

It can't connect to your TV like the regular switch and the screen is pretty small, a lot of people complain about having trouble reading text in certain titles.

MacBook Pro 16 i9-9980HK - Radeon Pro 5500m 8GB - 32GB DDR4 - 2TB NVME

iPhone 12 Mini / Sony WH-1000XM4 / Bose Companion 20

4 hours ago, Vitamanic said:

It can't connect to your TV like the regular switch and the screen is pretty small, a lot of people complain about having trouble reading text in certain titles.

On top of having worse battery life than the Switch revision.

Imo, the only reason to get a Lite is if you're a collector or you're too cheap and you must have a Switch now!

19 hours ago, Vitamanic said:

I actually wouldn’t connect it to a TV anyway since it’s mostly for when I’m traveling in a car or on a plane.

When I have access to my TV I also have access to my PC which has a good monitor anyway.

14 hours ago, kaiju_wars said:

On top of having worse battery life than the Switch revision.

Imo, the only reason to get a Lite is if you're a collector or you're too cheap and you must have a Switch now!

It’s not so much about me being cheap but I thought maybe if I didn’t like it I wouldn’t be out as much money as if I bought a normal Switch.

On 1/26/2020 at 6:15 PM, GamerBlake said:

Oooh I gotchya.

Solid. 

For reference, I have both the OG Switch (pre dank battery life refresh) and the Switch Lite. 

It's not really a Switch since it can't, you know, actually switch. It's permanently a handheld, but it's a damn good one. Build quality is excellent, buttons are nice, softer/squishier than the joycon ones for the Switch though (personal preference as to whether this is better or worse, I don't mind either way). It's a bit more solid feeling than the Switch due to not having joycons - which wiggle slightly - and it's much lighter. Screen is a good bit smaller but still perfectly playable, battery life is solid (better than the OG Switch, but worse than the refreshed Switch). It plays all the same games, you just lose local multiplayer since no joycons, and again it can't be docked (but to be fair I rarely do that unless I'm playing a multiplayer title with my sibs). 

As for titles, BOTW is hands down a masterpiece, that's the main title I play. Smash Bros and Mario Kart are excellent, but due to their multiplayer nature they're better on the Switch. Odyssey is solid by all accounts, the little I played was nice but I like BOTW better. I forget the other titles I have, I haven't played much Celeste but my brother really enjoyed it. Untitled Goose Game is on the Switch/Switch Lite as well, it's an excellent game. Lot of others but I don't have those so I can't speak from personal experience. Oh it has the usual Minecraft and some Lego games too, and Pokemon titles if you're into those. I've never played Pokemon before so Sword is kind of a drag since I don't understand the types/systems and so battles take too long (and the animations aren't that visually interesting so it gets aggravating if it stretches past a couple minutes). If you're familiar with Pokemon it should be decent to good, depending on your opinion of the new features or lack thereof. 

Intel HEDT and Server platform enthusiasts: Intel HEDT Xeon/i7 Megathread 

Main PC 

CPU: i9 7980XE @4.5GHz/1.22v/-2 AVX offset 

Cooler: EKWB Supremacy Block - custom loop w/360mm +280mm rads 

Motherboard: EVGA X299 Dark 

RAM:4x8GB HyperX Predator DDR4 @3200Mhz CL16 

GPU: Nvidia FE 2060 Super/Corsair HydroX 2070 FE block 

Storage:  1TB MP34 + 1TB 970 Evo + 500GB Atom30 + 250GB 960 Evo 

Optical Drives: LG WH14NS40 

PSU: EVGA 1600W T2 

Case & Fans: Corsair 750D Airflow - 3x Noctua iPPC NF-F12 + 4x Noctua iPPC NF-A14 PWM 

Display: LG 27UK650-W (4K 60Hz IPS panel)

Mouse: EVGA X17

Keyboard: Corsair K55 RGB

Mobile/Work Devices: 2020 M1 MacBook Air (work computer) - iPhone 13 Pro Max - Apple Watch S3

Other Misc Devices: iPod Video (Gen 5.5E, 128GB SD card swap, running Rockbox), Nintendo Switch

On 1/28/2020 at 12:30 PM, GamerBlake said:

It’s not so much about me being cheap but I thought maybe if I didn’t like it I wouldn’t be out as much money as if I bought a normal Switch.

tbh, on both the Lite and regular Switch and Revision, the resell value is solid.  I wouldn't be too worried about that as you could probably make most of your money back at least.

2 minutes ago, kaiju_wars said:

tbh, on both the Lite and regular Switch and Revision, the resell value is solid.  I wouldn't be too worried about that as you could probably make most of your money back at least.

I actually already bought the regular Switch ?.

Havent had a chance to play it yet though.

Its a lot bigger than I thought it would be.

WAY bigger than my Game Boy Color from the 1990s. ? 

FAEA897F-BE0D-4DBC-B044-5D0DA2F52BAA.jpeg

25 minutes ago, GamerBlake said:

I actually already bought the regular Switch ?.

Havent had a chance to play it yet though.

Its a lot bigger than I thought it would be.

WAY bigger than my Game Boy Color from the 1990s. ? 

FAEA897F-BE0D-4DBC-B044-5D0DA2F52BAA.jpeg

Nice, hope you enjoy the console man, it's easily become my favorite.  Many great games on there.

2 minutes ago, kaiju_wars said:

Nice, hope you enjoy the console man, it's easily become my favorite.  Many great games on there.

Any game recommendations?

I mostly got it for portability and nostalgia reasons.

So far I have Zelda: Breath of the Wild and Pokémon Shield.

But I’ll always remember the Christmas when I was 8 years old and got an N64 and Super Mario 64. It was my best Christmas ever. ? 

11 minutes ago, GamerBlake said:

But I’ll always remember the Christmas when I was 8 years old and got an N64 and Super Mario 64. It was my best Christmas ever. ? 

Super Mario Odyssey is the best 3D mario in my opinion, since the first Mario Galaxy.

Splatoon 2 is easily my favorite game on Switch

Super Mario Maker 2 is great, due to uploaded custom levels, it's like the never ending 2D mario game. 

Astral Chain is a pretty fun action adventure game

If you like strategy/tactics, Fire Emblem Three Houses

Yoshi's Crafted World is okay, it's fun if you like Yoshi.  

Then Tokyo Mirage Sessions #FE Encore is pretty great, I have it on Wii U, lots of fun

Animal Crossing is coming out in March

17 minutes ago, kaiju_wars said:

Super Mario Odyssey is the best 3D mario in my opinion, since the first Mario Galaxy.

Splatoon 2 is easily my favorite game on Switch

Super Mario Maker 2 is great, due to uploaded custom levels, it's like the never ending 2D mario game. 

Astral Chain is a pretty fun action adventure game

If you like strategy/tactics, Fire Emblem Three Houses

Yoshi's Crafted World is okay, it's fun if you like Yoshi.  

Then Tokyo Mirage Sessions #FE Encore is pretty great, I have it on Wii U, lots of fun

Animal Crossing is coming out in March

Oh wow! That’s a lot! ? 

Honestly I probably can’t buy anymore games for a while since the Switch cost me $299, then $25.99 for the 128gb SDXC card, then $59.99 for the Pro Controller, then $49.99 for Zelda BOTW, then $49.99 for Pokémon Shield..I’m a bit low on funds atm ?.

But I’ll definitely look into those games when I have some more money. ? 

Thanks again! ? 

2 hours ago, GamerBlake said:

You HAVE to get Super Mario Odyssey then. No shit, it's my #2 Mario game of all time, behind only the 1st Super Mario Bros on NES and edging out the brilliant Super Mario World on SNES for me. Though I mostly played the much harder version, Vs Super Mario Bros, in arcades since I couldn't convince my parents to buy an NES back in the mid 1980s. BTW, don't buy Vs Super Mario Bros for Switch, it's a horrendously bad port.

Super Mario Odyssey is just such a bright and creative game with open world exploration that always feels exciting, and you can make the game as easy or hard as you want. Just want to do the story? Anyone can beat it. But want to try to get every moon in a level? That's a real challenge. Want to beat the hidden levels after the main game? Huge spike in difficulty near the end of those. It's open world in the best way, where it's a challenge of your skill to collect moons vs just going to every random nook and cranny looking for feathers like in the early Assassins Creed games. If you were a fan of Super Mario 64 I see no reason you wouldn't love Odyssey.

There were two reasons I bought a Switch a little more than a year ago: Super Mario Odyssey, and Shin Megami Tensei V. SMT V still has no timetable for when it'll be out, but Super Mario Odyssey alone was enough for me to feel great about purchasing a Switch. And since then I have found some other games on the system I really enjoyed, but no reason to dump a bunch of games on you when SMO is probably head and shoulders above anything else on Switch except BOTW. Which is saying a lot, because Switch has developed a pretty high quality library in its three years and is clearly (IMO) the best system they have put out since SNES almost 30 years ago.