Can you guys tell me what cable I need to power this internal RGB fan hub?

InjuredSmurf
Go to solution Solved by W-L,
7 minutes ago, InjuredSmurf said:

The 20MB limit was screwing me up. I think the all in 1 box might be fried. Will rip it apart tomorrow to check the PCB. 

Bits I cut out of the video:

Remote not controlling anything

Led strip A only lighting up 2 spots

LED strip B lights up fully but changes colour when I touch it (wierd

Hmm that's odd, hopefully the control box is good, but if it's not those are fairly generic fans and controllers so you may be able to get a replacement without the fans. 

I bought a bunch of RGB fans and the RGB hub 2nd hand which although came with the remote for everything, it was shipped without the power connector. I can't find the cable online anywhere and the instruction booklet says it's molex but I've never seen molex that small... Links would be appreciated too! 

I have included a SATA cable for size reference. 

IMG_20200125_172439.jpg

4 minutes ago, InjuredSmurf said:

I bought a bunch of RGB fans and the RGB hub 2nd hand which although came with the remote for everything, it was shipped without the power connector. I can't find the cable online anywhere and the instruction booklet says it's molex but I've never seen molex that small... Links would be appreciated too! 

I have included a SATA cable for size reference. 

That is a 4 pin JST type connector, usually you would have a molex to JST adapter, as you do not have one you will most likely need to make one yourself and take apart the controller to check what pins are power and ground. 

-Moved to Modding Section- 

7 minutes ago, W-L said:

That is a 4 pin JST type connector, usually you would have a molex to JST adapter, as you do not have one you will most likely need to make one yourself and take apart the controller to check what pins are power and ground. 

-Moved to Modding Section- 

Thanks for the info, I've never had to make a connector myself before, is it easy to do? 

Just now, InjuredSmurf said:

Thanks for the info, I've never had to make a connector myself before, is it easy to do? 

Simplest would be to cut up an existing spare molex adapter and to purchase the proper JST end that interfaces with the controller and to solder the correct wires together. Just remember you need to check what pins are power and ground or you risk burning up that controller. 

20 hours ago, W-L said:

Simplest would be to cut up an existing spare molex adapter and to purchase the proper JST end that interfaces with the controller and to solder the correct wires together. Just remember you need to check what pins are power and ground or you risk burning up that controller. 

Hey so I tried your nodded adaptor technique and got it fitted up - I double checked the volts on each pin and matched them up but I'm not getting any fan spin, just some RGB spotted around the fans but nothing solid, the remote won't even work.... Any ideas or thoughts? 

2 hours ago, InjuredSmurf said:

Hey so I tried your nodded adaptor technique and got it fitted up - I double checked the volts on each pin and matched them up but I'm not getting any fan spin, just some RGB spotted around the fans but nothing solid, the remote won't even work.... Any ideas or thoughts? 

What controller/fan combo is this do you have a link or some photos to it that way we can try and find out some more info about it.

1 hour ago, InjuredSmurf said:

Also here is what happened when I eventually got it to do something

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1OZfp2G-8wXvDfrzgMGbi4klem233MGAi/view?usp=drivesdk

Can't see the video unfortunately try uploading directly, as for the control it is all one by the box including fan speed. 

8 minutes ago, W-L said:

Can't see the video unfortunately try uploading directly, as for the control it is all one by the box including fan speed. 

The 20MB limit was screwing me up. I think the all in 1 box might be fried. Will rip it apart tomorrow to check the PCB. 

LED strip B lights up fully but changes colour when I touch it (wierd) 

7 minutes ago, InjuredSmurf said:

LED strip B lights up fully but changes colour when I touch it (wierd

Hmm that's odd, hopefully the control box is good, but if it's not those are fairly generic fans and controllers so you may be able to get a replacement without the fans. 

that a generic fan set its not worth your time.the connector on it is generic and also no one going to no the pin out for it.

I have dyslexia plz be kind to me. dont like my post dont read it or respond thx

also i edit post alot because you no why...

Thrasher_565 hub links build logs

Corsair Lian Li Bykski Barrow thermaltake nzxt aquacomputer 5v argb pin out guide + argb info

5v device to 12v mb header

Odds and Sods Argb Rgb Links