Ryzen 5 3600 hitting 85°C with stock cooler.

Hey guys. So i recently built my own gaming rig and I have the Asus Tuf B450 Plus Gaming Motherboard, Ryzen 5 3600,16 gigs of ram and an RTX 2060 enclosed in the CM K501L case. I performed an overclock on my processor from 3.6 to 3.95 GHz using the OC Tuner option provided in the bios of my motherboard. I have seen a performance bump though, but my temperatures are higher than before, almost hitting 85° by the end of a single Cinebench R20 benchmark. Any recommendations on how I can get the temps in check??

The automatic overclock likely set the voltage higher than it needs to be. Try turning the voltage down a little bit (0.025) at a time and check if it's stable with something like prime95 and asus realbench for several hours. You can use a negative voltage offset which will allow the motherboard to dynamically adjust voltage just at a lower level. Less voltage means less heat, but ultimately you'll want to get a better cooler. You should be able to get a budget cooler which will do substantially better than the included Stealth cooler, $30 will get a large gain in cooling.

17 minutes ago, Krishna16 said:

Hey guys. So i recently built my own gaming rig and I have the Asus Tuf B450 Plus Gaming Motherboard, Ryzen 5 3600,16 gigs of ram and an RTX 2060 enclosed in the CM K501L case. I performed an overclock on my processor from 3.6 to 3.95 GHz using the OC Tuner option provided in the bios of my motherboard. I have seen a performance bump though, but my temperatures are higher than before, almost hitting 85° by the end of a single Cinebench R20 benchmark. Any recommendations on how I can get the temps in check??

Stock cooler= no OC

Buy a mid range 30$ cooler, you will be just fine.

CPU:i7 9700k 5047.5Mhz All Cores Mobo: MSI MPG Z390 Gaming Edge AC, RAM:Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB 3200MHz DDR4 OC 3467Mhz GPU:MSI RTX 2070 ARMOR 8GB OC Storage:Samsung SSD 970 EVO NVMe M.2 250GB, 2x SSD ADATA PRO SP900 256GB, HDD WD CB 2TB, HDD GREEN 2TB PSU: Seasonic focus plus 750w Gold Display(s): 1st: LG 27UK650-W, 4K, IPS, HDR10, 10bit(8bit + A-FRC). 2nd: Samsung 24" LED Monitor (SE390), Cooling:Fazn CPU Cooler Aero 120T Push/pull Corsair ML PRO Fans Keyboard: Corsair K95 Platinum RGB mx Rapidfire Mouse:Razer Naga Chroma  Headset: Razer Kraken 7.1 Chroma Sound: Logitech X-540 5.1 Surround Sound Speaker Case: Modded Case Inverted, 5 intake 120mm, one exhaust 120mm.

auto OC probably way to generous with vcore voltage.

Turn that off, enable PBO, set a -50-75mV negative vcore offset and call it a day. 85celsius with the stock cooler seems average, keep in mind, the Wraith Stealth is borderline garbage.

TLDR: OC off, negative vcore offset. 

Life is really challenging. I don't always suceed: )

17 minutes ago, Bitter said:

The automatic overclock likely set the voltage higher than it needs to be. Try turning the voltage down a little bit (0.025) at a time and check if it's stable with something like prime95 and asus realbench for several hours. You can use a negative voltage offset which will allow the motherboard to dynamically adjust voltage just at a lower level. Less voltage means less heat, but ultimately you'll want to get a better cooler. You should be able to get a budget cooler which will do substantially better than the included Stealth cooler, $30 will get a large gain in cooling.

So I was thinking of adding two more fans to my case since I'm using just one exhaust fan and one RGB fan which were included with the case. Will that help in anyway? Oh and yes, the stock voltage which came out of the box was set to 1.42v whereas the OC Tuner set it down to 1.35v

18 minutes ago, Constantin said:

Stock cooler= no OC

Buy a mid range 30$ cooler, you will be just fine.

Can you recommend me one? I stay in India btw and will adding two more case fans do any good (currently I'm using the two fans that came with my case, one in the front and one exhaust)?

Auto overclock is usually crap, voltage is turn all the way up so the temps are way high. I'd suggest you learn to do it yourself.

Just now, tp95112 said:

Auto overclock is usually crap, voltage is turn all the way up so the temps are way high. I'd suggest you learn to do it yourself.

Well surprisingly, the core voltage out of the box was at 1.42v whereas the auto overclock set it to 1.35v

Disable OC Tuner, the standard 3600 gets to 3.9GHz stock and 4.2GHz single, no point OCing to 3.95GHz.

23 minutes ago, schwellmo92 said:

Disable OC Tuner, the standard 3600 gets to 3.9GHz stock and 4.2GHz single, no point OCing to 3.95GHz.

Tried that already. But my chip boosts only upto 3.84 on all cores. I'm not being able to achieve 4.2 even on any one of those cores.

33 minutes ago, Krishna16 said:

Can you recommend me one? I stay in India btw and will adding two more case fans do any good (currently I'm using the two fans that came with my case, one in the front and one exhaust)?

https://www.amazon.com/Cooler-Master-FBA_4719512033494-Hyper-Prozessorkühler/dp/B0068OI7T8

Install all the fans in the case intake and only the back exhaust

CPU:i7 9700k 5047.5Mhz All Cores Mobo: MSI MPG Z390 Gaming Edge AC, RAM:Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB 3200MHz DDR4 OC 3467Mhz GPU:MSI RTX 2070 ARMOR 8GB OC Storage:Samsung SSD 970 EVO NVMe M.2 250GB, 2x SSD ADATA PRO SP900 256GB, HDD WD CB 2TB, HDD GREEN 2TB PSU: Seasonic focus plus 750w Gold Display(s): 1st: LG 27UK650-W, 4K, IPS, HDR10, 10bit(8bit + A-FRC). 2nd: Samsung 24" LED Monitor (SE390), Cooling:Fazn CPU Cooler Aero 120T Push/pull Corsair ML PRO Fans Keyboard: Corsair K95 Platinum RGB mx Rapidfire Mouse:Razer Naga Chroma  Headset: Razer Kraken 7.1 Chroma Sound: Logitech X-540 5.1 Surround Sound Speaker Case: Modded Case Inverted, 5 intake 120mm, one exhaust 120mm.

18 minutes ago, Krishna16 said:

Tried that already. But my chip boosts only upto 3.84 on all cores. I'm not being able to achieve 4.2 even on any one of those cores.

Under single core load it'll boost cores higher, all-core load will be less. If you're only getting 3.84GHz that means the chip must be running hot, it'll boost higher the cooler it is. What is your ambient temp? If your ambient temp is like 30c+ you'll need to get an aftermarket cooler.

31 minutes ago, schwellmo92 said:

Under single core load it'll boost cores higher, all-core load will be less. If you're only getting 3.84GHz that means the chip must be running hot, it'll boost higher the cooler it is. What is your ambient temp? If your ambient temp is like 30c+ you'll need to get an aftermarket cooler.

In that case, i definitely need an aftermarket cooler.

7 hours ago, Krishna16 said:

So I was thinking of adding two more fans to my case since I'm using just one exhaust fan and one RGB fan which were included with the case. Will that help in anyway? Oh and yes, the stock voltage which came out of the box was set to 1.42v whereas the OC Tuner set it down to 1.35v

Are you checking the voltage under single, multi, and all core load? It'll be different under each situation due to LLC and vdroop. A MSI B450 Tomahawk I'm working with here running a R5 1600 AF actually droops core voltage with LLC set to lowest level when all cores are loaded.. A different board, Asus X470-F Gaming with a 2700X, droops vcore much less with the least aggressive LLC.

Either way, that CPU should be able to run stable with substantially less voltage than 1.4 or 1.3. Try setting a -0.050 offset then if that's stable try -0.100 and if that's stable back it down some more. The 1600 AF is running at -0.150 (71W TDP) with the lowest LLC and my 2700X is running -0.100 (170W) with the lowest LLC as well. Both are self clocking up to their absolute max and holding there without issues, even getting a little higher than the stated all core boost on less intense all core work loads. The much hotter 2700X is also able to hold it's full specified speeds with the undervolt. Heck, the same works for graphics cards that run hot and drop clocks, turn the volts down and they'll run cooler and quieter while also being able to self-clock to faster speeds if that's a function that they have.

Your 3600 on the Stealth cooler though, that's a tough one. I do believe if you can turn the volts down and get TDP (CPU Package Power) wattage down to the 70-75W range it should be able to self-clock with PBO and XFR to a better speed than your manual overclock, you ought to be able to run it down to 1.2, 1.1, or maybe even lower voltage than that. Try it out while you're waiting to get a better cooler!

On 1/25/2020 at 8:06 PM, Bitter said:

Are you checking the voltage under single, multi, and all core load? It'll be different under each situation due to LLC and vdroop. A MSI B450 Tomahawk I'm working with here running a R5 1600 AF actually droops core voltage with LLC set to lowest level when all cores are loaded.. A different board, Asus X470-F Gaming with a 2700X, droops vcore much less with the least aggressive LLC.

Either way, that CPU should be able to run stable with substantially less voltage than 1.4 or 1.3. Try setting a -0.050 offset then if that's stable try -0.100 and if that's stable back it down some more. The 1600 AF is running at -0.150 (71W TDP) with the lowest LLC and my 2700X is running -0.100 (170W) with the lowest LLC as well. Both are self clocking up to their absolute max and holding there without issues, even getting a little higher than the stated all core boost on less intense all core work loads. The much hotter 2700X is also able to hold it's full specified speeds with the undervolt. Heck, the same works for graphics cards that run hot and drop clocks, turn the volts down and they'll run cooler and quieter while also being able to self-clock to faster speeds if that's a function that they have.

Your 3600 on the Stealth cooler though, that's a tough one. I do believe if you can turn the volts down and get TDP (CPU Package Power) wattage down to the 70-75W range it should be able to self-clock with PBO and XFR to a better speed than your manual overclock, you ought to be able to run it down to 1.2, 1.1, or maybe even lower voltage than that. Try it out while you're waiting to get a better cooler!

Hey man. So I have set VDDCR CPU Voltage to 1.1 with an offset of 0.05 and it seems to be stable, but when running Cinebench R20, the individual cores are eating up about 1.4v, in multi threaded about 1.3v, single threaded about 1.35v. When running multi-threaded cinebench test, my temps are going upto 83° and on single core, 65°. One more thing, my RAM was also set to 1.35v by the OC Tuner which now I have set to 1.34v.

3 hours ago, Krishna16 said:

Hey man. So I have set VDDCR CPU Voltage to 1.1 with an offset of 0.05 and it seems to be stable, but when running Cinebench R20, the individual cores are eating up about 1.4v, in multi threaded about 1.3v, single threaded about 1.35v. When running multi-threaded cinebench test, my temps are going upto 83° and on single core, 65°. One more thing, my RAM was also set to 1.35v by the OC Tuner which now I have set to 1.34v.

Set the LLC (load line calibration) lower (which for MSI is a the higher number oddly). Try LLC of 5 and go from there if it's stable, I've got both my 2700X and 1600 AF on the weakest LLC on their boards with an undervolt as well. 83C is better so the drop in voltage is working, try the LLC setting and report back, ideally you'd want the LLC to just keep the voltage from dropping under load so if you can see around 1.1 volts with the cores loaded that's better as long as it's stable. Seeing the volts peak up to 1.4 intermittently for very short bursts is normal for Ryzen when single cores are boosted to max for very short moments under light loads.

1 hour ago, Bitter said:

Set the LLC (load line calibration) lower (which for MSI is a the higher number oddly). Try LLC of 5 and go from there if it's stable, I've got both my 2700X and 1600 AF on the weakest LLC on their boards with an undervolt as well. 83C is better so the drop in voltage is working, try the LLC setting and report back, ideally you'd want the LLC to just keep the voltage from dropping under load so if you can see around 1.1 volts with the cores loaded that's better as long as it's stable. Seeing the volts peak up to 1.4 intermittently for very short bursts is normal for Ryzen when single cores are boosted to max for very short moments under light loads.

Okay so I took your advice and undervolted my CPU to 1.2v with an offset of 0.1v and overclocked it to 3.9GHz. I'm now seeing temperatures come down to about 77-78 max and it is pretty stable here. I don't understand LLC much, so I don't want to fidget with something I don't know at the back of my hand, so I think I'll avoid that and should I get the voltage down a little more??

85c isn't the end of the world. IRL gaming etc. you won't encounter a scenario that's as demanding as CBR20. 

Plan on upgrading your cooler eventually. But don't stress about at 85c CBR20 test.

Before you reply to my post, REFRESH. 99.99% chance I edited my post. 

My System: i7-13700KF // Corsair iCUE H150i Elite Capellix // MSI MPG Z690 Edge Wifi // 32GB DDR5 G. SKILL RIPJAWS S5 6000 CL32 // Nvidia RTX 4070 Super FE // Corsair 5000D Airflow // Corsair SP120 RGB Pro x7 // Seasonic Focus Plus Gold 850w //1TB ADATA XPG SX8200 Pro/1TB Teamgroup MP33/2TB Seagate 7200RPM Hard Drive // Displays: LG Ultragear 32GP83B x2 // Royal Kludge RK100 // Logitech G Pro X Superlight // Sennheiser DROP PC38x

Too many posts to read so sorry if I'm repeating someone else.  

Take side covers off when testing.  Test gaming performance with overclock and without overclock...go with the settings that show a real benefit.  I'm reading comments from others that stock settings on 3600 chips works best for gaming...ymmv. 

IMHO 85c isn't bad if you are actually seeing a real increase in performance.  My 8700k can hit 85c briefly when stress testing... that's with an aftermarket air cooler.

On 1/27/2020 at 9:15 PM, Stu_Bear said:

Too many posts to read so sorry if I'm repeating someone else.  

Take side covers off when testing.  Test gaming performance with overclock and without overclock...go with the settings that show a real benefit.  I'm reading comments from others that stock settings on 3600 chips works best for gaming...ymmv. 

IMHO 85c isn't bad if you are actually seeing a real increase in performance.  My 8700k can hit 85c briefly when stress testing... that's with an aftermarket air cooler.

Of course not, don't be sorry. Thanks for this idea too, I'll test it out and report back asap.

seems about right. stock cooler on 3800X and 3900X (i own both) has the temps shoot up to 90C almost instantly on heavy loads.