[Early 2020] Ultimate Gaming Build Around $2000.

10 hours ago, Bombastinator said:

There is a thing or two that might be cut on that build. Or changed.  The Cooler May be overkill, the 3700x doesn’t overclock for beans so an overclocking cooler is kinda wasted.  Also the rocket on a b450 motherboard is more than the motherboard can properly handle.  It’s limited to Pcie 3. Fast fast storage may become a thing in a year though.  If it does the rocket is as fast as a pcie3 motherboard can get.

A possible thing do if that happened would be to get a different motherboard that did pcie4. The rocket would still work then and be a little faster. If swapping the motherboard is doable, One could ditch the rocket AND. the HD and get a 2tb 2.5” ssd.  Then if fast fast drives needed to happen a motherboard swap and a fast m.2 might be needed.   The lowball would be a small 2.5” ssd  and keep the HD.  Use the SSD for just the OS and one or two games you are playing. This makes basically the same speed as the rocket/hd for less money but if fast drives become a thing a swap will be needed even more badly.

quibbles:

The case fans don’t need to be $22/per if they’re on the front. A sleeve bearing fan isn’t quite as long lasting as a modified rifle but when they’re vertical they’re surprisingly close.  For more like $6/per.  If they’re on the Top they do though. They might be RGB as well.  I don’t know much about RGB or monitors.

Thank you very much! I can't understand all what you're saying, but I appreciate your detailed posts. I will read again and Google for the parts that I can't understand. I will try to post a new build today after the research. Cheers! ;)

8 minutes ago, Dotiki said:

Thank you very much! I can't understand all what you're saying, but I appreciate your detailed posts. I will read again and Google for the parts that I can't understand. I will try to post a new build today after the research. Cheers! ;)

Argh.  It’s a problem I seem to have.  What parts don’t make sense?

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

34 minutes ago, Bombastinator said:

Argh.  It’s a problem I seem to have.  What parts don’t make sense?

No it's all make sense. I mean for example things like "It’s limited to Pcie 3", "One could ditch the rocket AND.", "Then if fast fast drives needed to happen" etc. I don't see yet the full picture of what I'm doing. So things like this only sounds good, but don't show me why I'm doing. Do you see what I mean? ;)

Thank you again for your comments. What do you think about this setup please including the monitor now. I will be happy with any of your comments and suggestions. Have a nice weekend!

14 hours ago, Greg6669 UK said:

I agree that on day one an RTX2080TI is a little overkill for 1440p gaming, but if you can use it for 1 - 2 more years without bad FPS, what's wrong with that? That's a win for me.

That depends on the gaming needs. I agree in most cases, however titles like AC Odyssey/Origins, Metro Exodus, Control, etc through the last year are pushing the current generation of GPUs to the limits. These few cases are not a reflection of every game made or every gamer, obviously, but they are a good reflection perhaps of what upcoming titles will require this year and of course things will only escalate into next year.

I don't think a 2080Ti is a requirement of anyone. I certainly don't have one. I am simply trying to propose the best gear I can within the given budget. 

I would NEVER recommend spending 2500-2700 on a build with an RTX 2070 Super. You can fit that in a $1200 PC. 

Some things to consider:

• Monitor needs: What kind of gamer are you primarily? Your initial pick has me thinking that you're likely an eSports gamer. If this is the case, a $1500-1800 budget is like... Fantastic.
    • eSports (LoL, DOTA2, PUBG, Overwatch, Rocket League, Fortnite, CSGo, etc.) are visually pretty lame, and an inexpensive VA panel with a high refresh rate is typically the way to go. (240 is arguably scarcely different than 144 for even pro gamers.)
    • AAA Titles (Tomb Raider, Assassins Creed, Fallout, etc.) are visually appealing games which will benefit more from a beautiful IPS panel. You can still (as with the monitor I posted) get IPS with a nice high refresh rate. This would be a best of both worlds scenario. (Which I suggest since very few gamers willing to pay 2700 on a PC play only a single kind of game.)
  • Intel vs AMD:
    • The only Intel CPUs to currently look at are the i7-9700K and i9-9900K.
      • The i5 is effectively removed from the equation by Ryzen 5.
    • The R7 3700X is blow for blow with the 9700K, is cheaper, and has more cores/threads for things like streaming/video editing/workload. (I realize not all people do those things, but is a better CPU overall.) 
      • It also has unlimited boost clocking under load, can overclock on a much less expensive board, and SMT is significantly more efficient than Hyperthreading.
  • GPU choice factors:
    • Budget (Not an issue in this case)
    • What games you play
    • What kind of monitor

In any case, I'll argue that at this budget for ANY gaming PC, the build I proposed includes a monitor that works well with ALL types of gamers, and around it is a solid foundation with the best GPU that I could fit in the budget. Even if it's overkill, it fits. So I'd go at it. 

If this is just an eSports machine, cut your budget in half.

2 hours ago, Dotiki said:

Thank you again for your comments. What do you think about this setup please including the monitor now. I will be happy with any of your comments and suggestions. Have a nice weekend!

• I'm not particularly a fan of water cooling. It's noisier, has failure potential that can damage other gear, etc. 
    • The H100i is a solid AIO if you're gonna go that route, though.
  • The X570 Gaming X is very mediocre for the money:
    • For a less pricey board, the B450 A-Pro MAX or Tomahawk MAX are good choices.
    • X570 Tuf Gaming is a great board under $200. I'd go that route for PCIe 4. The AORUS boards are a solid choice as well.
  • I see you're a WD fan :P that's fine. The Sabrent Rocket I used is a very nice SSD for the price. A bit higher quality, thought the WD black series are decent.
  • XC Ultra Gaming is definitely the cooler to go with.
  • The EVGA GQ you've linked is significantly less awesome than the Corsair RMx I linked. Few protections in place at the same price. 
    • You could also look at a Pure Power 11 unit for likely a savings on a great unit.

29 minutes ago, trevb0t said:

That depends on the gaming needs. I agree in most cases, however titles like AC Odyssey/Origins, Metro Exodus, Control, etc through the last year are pushing the current generation of GPUs to the limits. These few cases are not a reflection of every game made or every gamer, obviously, but they are a good reflection perhaps of what upcoming titles will require this year and of course things will only escalate into next year.

I don't think a 2080Ti is a requirement of anyone. I certainly don't have one. I am simply trying to propose the best gear I can within the given budget. 

I would NEVER recommend spending 2500-2700 on a build with an RTX 2070 Super. You can fit that in a $1200 PC. 

Some things to consider:

• Monitor needs: What kind of gamer are you primarily? Your initial pick has me thinking that you're likely an eSports gamer. If this is the case, a $1500-1800 budget is like... Fantastic.
    • eSports (LoL, DOTA2, PUBG, Overwatch, Rocket League, Fortnite, CSGo, etc.) are visually pretty lame, and an inexpensive VA panel with a high refresh rate is typically the way to go. (240 is arguably scarcely different than 144 for even pro gamers.)
    • AAA Titles (Tomb Raider, Assassins Creed, Fallout, etc.) are visually appealing games which will benefit more from a beautiful IPS panel. You can still (as with the monitor I posted) get IPS with a nice high refresh rate. This would be a best of both worlds scenario. (Which I suggest since very few gamers willing to pay 2700 on a PC play only a single kind of game.)
  • Intel vs AMD:
    • The only Intel CPUs to currently look at are the i7-9700K and i9-9900K.
      • The i5 is effectively removed from the equation by Ryzen 5.
    • The R7 3700X is blow for blow with the 9700K, is cheaper, and has more cores/threads for things like streaming/video editing/workload. (I realize not all people do those things, but is a better CPU overall.) 
      • It also has unlimited boost clocking under load, can overclock on a much less expensive board, and SMT is significantly more efficient than Hyperthreading.
  • GPU choice factors:
    • Budget (Not an issue in this case)
    • What games you play
    • What kind of monitor

In any case, I'll argue that at this budget for ANY gaming PC, the build I proposed includes a monitor that works well with ALL types of gamers, and around it is a solid foundation with the best GPU that I could fit in the budget. Even if it's overkill, it fits. So I'd go at it. 

If this is just an eSports machine, cut your budget in half.

Thank you very much for your detailed answer. It's very interesting to read informative dense posts like this. I definitely don't want to spend that much money and if I can get cheaper option. All I need is to a nice, modern gaming setup for all sort of games not only eSport, but so I can run on highest settings all new games for at least next 3-5 years. So I can enjoy and see how modern games looks like as I didn't see them for last 6 years. And DOTA etc doesn't lag on my iMac 3.5 GHz Intel Core i7 and NVIDIA GeForce GTX 780M 4096 MB. So one more time:

- Budget $2700 maximum for whole setup with monitor, but if possible less sure.
- All sort of games on high settings for 3-5 years without upgrades.
- Nice large monitor.

13 minutes ago, lee32uk said:

10 minutes ago, trevb0t said:

Great find! I second the 999 Strix!

Thank you, but you guys said EVGA version has a better cooling no?

I would say if you’re going to go AIO, 2 fan AIOs are kind of pointless functionally.  They have more problems than a large air cooler, are potentially noisier (bubbles.  AIO people never like to talk about the bubbles.  They pretend they’re an aberration.  They’re a pretty frequent thing to be a mere ‘aberration’ though)

a 3 fan AIO at least has a higher heat envelope. There’s actually a reason to have one.   There are occasionally good reasons for 2fan AIOs to exist. SFF systems and GPU mods where having the radiator sit on the chip isn’t very doable.  AIOs are also better about commercial air travel if you fly with your computer.  They’re all kind of niche though.

The 3700x is well within the envelope of air cooling though, and unlike the 9700k it has almost no effective overclock.  Sure you can do it, but it doesn’t actually DO much.  Big air isn’t even needed.  A lot of people just use the stock air cooler that comes with the CPU. Almost any decent 4 pipe air cooler should be more than enough for it.  

ive been recommending these lately for people concerned about price.

https://pcpartpicker.com/product/dqjWGX/arctic-freezer-33-cpu-cooler-acfre00028a

It’s a lowball cooler and it doesn’t have any rgb, but it’s better at cooling than the wraith prism or max, and it’s cheaper than even them. You won’t get stellar temps but they’ll be acceptable.  With a cooler that cheap you could outfit your case with eye searing amounts of RGB and still come in under budget.

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

I'll recommend something like this instead...

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X 3.6 GHz 8-Core Processor  ($324.99 @ Amazon) 
CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 4 50.5 CFM CPU Cooler  ($89.90 @ B&H) 
Motherboard: Asus TUF GAMING X570-PLUS ATX AM4 Motherboard  ($164.99 @ B&H) 
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws V 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3600 Memory  ($149.99 @ Newegg) 
Storage: Silicon Power A80 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive  ($129.99 @ Amazon) 
Storage: Seagate Barracuda Compute 2 TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($49.99 @ Amazon) 
Video Card: Asus GeForce RTX 2080 Ti 11 GB ROG Strix Gaming Video Card  ($999.99 @ Amazon) 
Case: Cooler Master MasterCase H500 ATX Mid Tower Case  ($119.99 @ Amazon) 
Power Supply: Corsair TXM Gold 650 W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-modular ATX Power Supply  ($83.98 @ Newegg) 
Monitor: Acer VG271U Pbmiipx 27.0" 2560x1440 144 Hz Monitor  ($349.99 @ Amazon) 
Total: $2463.80
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-01-25 12:57 EST-0500

SSD TIER LIST

CPU - Ryzen 7 3700X

Mobo - ASRock X470 Taichi

Memory - G.Skill Trident Z RGB (8x2 3200MHz) 

Storage - Sabrent Rocket 1TB - Seagate Barracuda 2TBWD Black 1TB

GPU - MSI GeForce GTX 980Ti LIGHTNING

CaseFractal Design Meshify C

PSUSuper Flower Leadex II Gold 650W

8 minutes ago, Dotiki said:

The Strix cooler is just as good. It's just usually pretty expensive. 

Thank you for more suggestions. Back to Googling, love you all already. You're so helpful. ? Didn't expect anyone replying when posting first.

2 minutes ago, Dotiki said:

There is an NH-D15 in black, or of course the Dark Rock Pro 4.

Both are better coolers than the U12S

2 minutes ago, Dotiki said:

They make it in all black now.

2 hours ago, Dotiki said:

Not for an extra $130 it isn't. The Strix is a good card anyway, and it isn't loud.

3 hours ago, trevb0t said:

There is an NH-D15 in black, or of course the Dark Rock Pro 4.

Both are better coolers than the U12S

3 hours ago, Bombastinator said:

They make it in all black now.

Ah yes, indeed guys. They have the black now as well.

1 hour ago, lee32uk said:

Not for an extra $130 it isn't. The Strix is a good card anyway, and it isn't loud.

Got it thanks!

As what the heck:  I’ll do one too:

All bang, minimal buck.  There’s even some LED (white) no rgb though.  It won’t do throbbing colors, because, well, I hate that.

Its a bit low on CPU cooling and a bit low on power.  Good chance it won’t make a full 5.0 ghz.  Should make 4.5 though.  Even 4.8. Enough to wax a 3700x in single core. The middling cooling will make the power draw lower.

PCPartPicker Part List: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/QBgXYH

CPU: Intel Core i9-9900K 3.6 GHz 8-Core Processor  ($523.89 @ B&H) 
CPU Cooler: Scythe FUMA Rev.B 79 CFM CPU Cooler  ($58.33 @ Amazon) 
Motherboard: MSI Z390-A PRO ATX LGA1151 Motherboard  ($129.47 @ Amazon) 
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3000 Memory  ($75.98 @ Amazon) 
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3000 Memory  ($75.98 @ Amazon) 
Storage: Western Digital Blue 1 TB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive  ($109.99 @ Amazon) 
Storage: Seagate 4 TB 3.5" 5900RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($71.98 @ Amazon) 
Video Card: Asus GeForce RTX 2080 Ti 11 GB ROG Strix Gaming Video Card  ($999.99 @ Amazon) 
Case: Fractal Design Focus G ATX Mid Tower Case  ($55.88 @ Amazon) 
Power Supply: Corsair CXM 650 W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-modular ATX Power Supply  ($79.98 @ Amazon) 
Case Fan: Kingwin CFW-012LB 40 CFM 120 mm Fan  ($7.99 @ Amazon) 
Monitor: Asus TUF Gaming VG27AQ 27.0" 2560x1440 165 Hz Monitor  ($429.00 @ B&H) 
Total: $2618.46
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-01-25 17:02 EST-0500

10 minutes ago, Bombastinator said:

As what the heck:  I’ll do one too:

All bang, minimal buck.  There’s even some LED (white) no rgb though.  It won’t do throbbing colors, because, well, I hate that.

PCPartPicker Part List: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/QBgXYH

CPU: Intel Core i9-9900K 3.6 GHz 8-Core Processor  ($523.89 @ B&H) 
CPU Cooler: Scythe FUMA Rev.B 79 CFM CPU Cooler  ($58.33 @ Amazon) 
Motherboard: MSI Z390-A PRO ATX LGA1151 Motherboard  ($129.47 @ Amazon) 
Storage: Western Digital Blue 1 TB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive  ($109.99 @ Amazon) 
Storage: Seagate 4 TB 3.5" 5900RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($71.98 @ Amazon) 
Case: Fractal Design Focus G ATX Mid Tower Case  ($55.88 @ Amazon) 
Power Supply: Corsair CXM 650 W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-modular ATX Power Supply  ($79.98 @ Amazon) 
Case Fan: Kingwin CFW-012LB 40 CFM 120 mm Fan  ($7.99 @ Amazon) 
Monitor: Asus TUF Gaming VG27AQ 27.0" 2560x1440 165 Hz Monitor  ($429.00 @ B&H) 
Total: $2618.46
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-01-25 17:02 EST-0500

Sorry but that is a pretty mediocre build.

That motherboard is terrible, especially for a 9900K. The cpu will throttle on it.

Why the M.2 SATA SSD ? If going with an M.2 SSD then you might as well get an NVMe seeing as they are not a huge amount more.

Case is a bit on the cheap side for a $2600 build.

A Corsair CMX ? I mean it is a decent budget unit, but I wouldn't put it in a system with a 9900K and 2080 ti.

And Ryzen is way better value anyway.

20 minutes ago, lee32uk said:

Sorry but that is a pretty mediocre build.

That motherboard is terrible, especially for a 9900K. The cpu will throttle on it.

Why the M.2 SATA SSD ? If going with an M.2 SSD then you might as well get an NVMe seeing as they are not a huge amount more.

Case is a bit on the cheap side for a $2600 build.

A Corsair CMX ? I mean it is a decent budget unit, but I wouldn't put it in a system with a 9900K and 2080 ti.

And Ryzen is way better value anyway.

you may have points with the SSD and the mobo.

Was it msata? Said “Mkey” if it’s msata it’s junk.  Might be correct on the board.  I just picked the most popular one on PcPartPicker.  Luckily there’s a Benjamin left to cover things.  Less size on the storage.  There kinda pointlessly too much anyway.

I defend the rest though.

9900k instead of 9700k or 3700x? Yup.  There’s money for it.  It’s a gaming machine.

case on the cheap side?  

Yes.  Yes it is.

And I’m quite happy with that.  Expensive cases are stupid imho. Look. There’s even a window.  Why spend another Benjamin on absolutely nothing useful?   Cases hold parts.  They provide places to mount fans so those parts can be cooled.  Are you trying to make some sort of statement with your computer?  To whom?  Someone else has to see the thing.  Thing even comes with two decent fans.  I completely fail to see the problem.

PSU? It’s 650w.  It’s reliable.  It’s quiet.  What else is needed?  Gold rating?  Might have a point.

better value?  For what? This is a 2700$ machine.  Ryzen 3600 is a better value.  You want to run in that direction 3000g is a better value too. They’re $60.  That cpu isn’t even under discussion though.  The 3700x is a 3600 with 2 more cores.  Is a 3700x near in quality to a 9700x? Sure.  It’s faster, but it doesn’t have as many threads.  A 9900k is faster and DOES have as many threads.  A 3900x might be something to talk about.  It’s a 3600 with six more cores.

The 9900k is faster and he can afford it in the budget.  The entire concept of a 2080ti is lost value too.  
90% of the game performance of this whole thing can be had for under $1500.  

Ok I'm absolutely lost now. ? Soe people saying it's nice ... some people saying don't spend that much go with 2080 ... you don't need Ti ... etc. It's impossible ?

20 minutes ago, Bombastinator said:

you may have points with the SSD and the mobo.

Was it msata? Said “Mkey” if it’s msata it’s junk.  Might be correct on the board.  I just picked the most popular one on PcPartPicker.  Luckily there’s a Benjamin left to cover things.  Less size on the storage.  There kinda pointlessly too much anyway.

I defend the rest though.

9900k instead of 9700k or 3700x? Yup.  There’s money for it.  It’s a gaming machine.

case on the cheap side?  

Yes.  Yes it is.

And I’m quite happy with that.  Expensive cases are stupid imho. Look. There’s even a window.  Why spend another Benjamin on absolutely nothing useful?   Cases hold parts.  They provide places to mount fans so those parts can be cooled.  Are you trying to make some sort of statement with your computer?  To whom?  Someone else has to see the thing.  Thing even comes with two decent fans.  I completely fail to see the problem.

PSU? It’s 650w.  It’s reliable.  It’s quiet.  What else is needed?  Gold rating?  Might have a point.

better value?  For what? This is a 2700$ machine.  Ryzen 3600 is a better value.  You want to run in that direction 3000g is a better value too. They’re $60.  That cpu isn’t even under discussion though.  The 3700x is a 3600 with 2 more cores.  Is a 3700x near in quality to a 9700x? Sure.  It’s faster, but it doesn’t have as many threads.  A 9900k is faster and DOES have as many threads.  A 3900x might be something to talk about.  It’s a 3600 with six more cores.

The 9900k is faster and he can afford it in the budget.  The entire concept of a 2080ti is lost value too.  
90% of the game performance of this whole thing can be had for under $1500.  

I didn't mention anything about msata so not sure what your point is there. If you are populating the M.2 slot then why waste it on a regular SATA SSD ? The WD Blue SN550 is $10 cheaper, or there is the Sabrent Rocket Q for the same price. Both of these are faster.

The 9900K is a lot more expensive than a 3700X for little gain especially at 1440p. Only reason to go Intel is if you need the iGPU or you want the max highest framerate at 1080p 240Hz. For gaming at 1440p/4K then no point.

I didn't say you had to get an expensive case. The one you chose has an acrylic side panel which will scratch a lot easier than TG. It is a decent case for a mid range build, but for something higher end like this you should get something better. Also when your cpu cooler costs more than your case then you are doing something wrong.

The psu is a budget lower end model. It isn't meant for a 9900K and 2080 ti. 

Who mentioned getting a 3600 or 3000g ? I am referring to a 3700X when I say Ryzen is better value. What is this 9700x you speak of ? I assume you mean 9700K ? In which case the 3700X has more threads.

54 minutes ago, Dotiki said:

Ok I'm absolutely lost now. ? Soe people saying it's nice ... some people saying don't spend that much go with 2080 ... you don't need Ti ... etc. It's impossible ?

No need for confusion.

The build you refined is pretty dang good. Let's refine one more time:

5 hours ago, Dotiki said:
  • Could trade out for a Dark Rock Pro 4, NH-D15, or Fuma 2 for great air coolers. (Great air coolers with RGB are not really there... H100i is nice for RGB elements. Since the RAM is RGB, I'll leave it there.)
  • There really isn't any need for 32GB RAM unless you're doing heavier workload. Gaming almost never uses more than 10/11GB at any time. 16GB is plenty.
    • I also opted for 3600mhz, CL16 RAM. It's what they call the performance sweet spot for this CPU.
  • BIG overspend on the NVMe. Seriously, the Sabrent Rocket is a great unit for a huge savings.
    • Since I know you prefer WD, I went back to the SN550 in this build. I would personally go Sabrent.
  • I agree you should go for the Strix GPU for a huge savings. It's a lateral move in quality.
  • I would go 550-650W on the RMx. As a single railed unit, some of the safety features are considered capped out at 750W. Honestl 550W is more than you'll ever need with a single GPU. I'll do 650W for a happy medium!