9700k no hyper threading

aune

A normal scenario while im gaming is that i listen to music on youtube, several tabs open in firefox, discord, spotify etc. So will this kill my framerate? Im thinking about getting the 9900k if this is the case

No, 8 cores are plenty for gaming and having basic stuff like browsers and music players in the background.

Desktop: Intel Core i9-9900K | ASUS Strix Z390-F | G.Skill Trident Z Neo 2x16GB 3200MHz CL14 | EVGA GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER XC Ultra | Corsair RM650x | Fractal Design Define R6

Laptop: 2018 Apple MacBook Pro 13"  --  i5-8259U | 8GB LPDDR3 | 512GB NVMe

Peripherals: Leopold FC660C w/ Topre Silent 45g | Logitech MX Master 3 & Razer Basilisk X HyperSpeed | HIFIMAN HE400se & iFi ZEN DAC | Audio-Technica AT2020USB+

Display: Gigabyte G34WQC

Currently this is true.  How true it will remain in the future is more questionable.

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

and im worried my 1080 ti will bottleneck the 9900k if i decide to get it, seems like 9700k is the safe route

2 minutes ago, aune said:

and im worried my 1080 ti will bottleneck the 9900k if i decide to get it, seems like 9700k is the safe route

Your 1080Ti won't "bottleneck" per se a 9900K or any other CPU.

When it comes to bottlenecking, you need to worry about the CPU not being fast enough for the GPU, as then you can start noticing stuttering, frametime inconsistencies or other similar issues. The other way around though, if your GPU is particularly slow but you have a high-end CPU, you just will be limited by the GPU's potential of pushing out frames on the screen. This is why you always want, while gaming, your GPU usage to be at 95-100%, and your CPU to never go above about 80-85% usage.

Desktop: Intel Core i9-9900K | ASUS Strix Z390-F | G.Skill Trident Z Neo 2x16GB 3200MHz CL14 | EVGA GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER XC Ultra | Corsair RM650x | Fractal Design Define R6

Laptop: 2018 Apple MacBook Pro 13"  --  i5-8259U | 8GB LPDDR3 | 512GB NVMe

Peripherals: Leopold FC660C w/ Topre Silent 45g | Logitech MX Master 3 & Razer Basilisk X HyperSpeed | HIFIMAN HE400se & iFi ZEN DAC | Audio-Technica AT2020USB+

Display: Gigabyte G34WQC

https://youtu.be/MTL95WnNhCc?t=237

Hopefully I found a part that shows what Is likely to happen (higher demand 8Thread+ Games) with non-HT CPU's.

Assassins Creed seems from this part of the video to be 8Thread aware but not 12Thread aware.

Am I seeing it right from all the initial benchmark scenes and when it goes outside it naturally does get more CPU heavy, even for my machines..
8 Threads 100% way more often, 12 Threads at near 100% but can nearMax it also.

Maximums - Asus Z97-K /w i5 4690 Bclk @106.9Mhz * x39 = 4.17Ghz, 8GB of 2600Mhz DDR3,.. Gigabyte GTX970 G1-Gaming @ 1550Mhz

24 minutes ago, SkilledRebuilds said:

https://youtu.be/MTL95WnNhCc?t=237

Hopefully I found a part that shows what Is likely to happen (higher demand 8Thread+ Games) with non-HT CPU's.

Assassins Creed seems from this part of the video to be 8Thread aware but not 12Thread aware.

Am I seeing it right from all the initial benchmark scenes and when it goes outside it naturally does get more CPU heavy, even for my machines..
8 Threads 100% way more often, 12 Threads at near 100% but can nearMax it also.

I watched it but got overwhelmed by the amount of data.  I didn’t know what to make of it.

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

5 hours ago, Mateyyy said:

Your 1080Ti won't "bottleneck" per se a 9900K or any other CPU.

When it comes to bottlenecking, you need to worry about the CPU not being fast enough for the GPU, as then you can start noticing stuttering, frametime inconsistencies or other similar issues. The other way around though, if your GPU is particularly slow but you have a high-end CPU, you just will be limited by the GPU's potential of pushing out frames on the screen. This is why you always want, while gaming, your GPU usage to be at 95-100%, and your CPU to never go above about 80-85% usage.

Good to know, im having alot of stutters with my 4930k ocd @4.5ghz

14 hours ago, aune said:

If your GPU is bottlenecked by a 9900k, it will definitely be bottlenecked by a 9700k (although both are unlikely), not the other way around.

Unless I am mistaken, the 9700k is 8 cores / 8 threads, and the 9900k is 8 cores / 16 threads.

Either CPU is going to be fine for a 1080Ti, but fast forward a couple of years and you might regret not getting the 9900k (or an AMD).