A good cinematography camera for a newbie

Hello so im planning to get into cinematography but I'm a total noob and I almost know nothing so is there any camera you can recommend I'm planning on getting into it in the next year or so after I get some knowledge about the topic so any camera that is nice compact and capable for a noob like me also is there any releases for the next year or so that could be a good deal? 

PC: Motherboard: ASUS B550M TUF-Plus, CPU: Ryzen 3 3100, CPU Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34, GPU: GIGABYTE WindForce GTX1650S, RAM: HyperX Fury RGB 2x8GB 3200 CL16, Case, CoolerMaster MB311L ARGB, Boot Drive: 250GB MX500, Game Drive: WD Blue 1TB 7200RPM HDD.

Peripherals: GK61 (Optical Gateron Red) with Mistel White/Orange keycaps, Logitech G102 (Purple), BitWit Ensemble Grey Deskpad. 

Audio: Logitech G432, Moondrop Starfield, Mic: Razer Siren Mini (White).

Phone: Pixel 3a (Purple-ish).

Build Log: 

Depends on what you can spend, there are options from $200 to $70k or more

GUITAR BUILD LOG FROM SCRATCH OUT OF APPLEWOOD

- Ryzen Build -

R5 3600 | MSI X470 Gaming Plus MAX | 16GB CL16 3200MHz Corsair LPX | Dark Rock 4

MSI 2060 Super Gaming X

1TB Intel 660p | 250GB Kingston A2000 | 1TB Seagate Barracuda | 2TB WD Blue

be quiet! Silent Base 601 | be quiet! Straight Power 550W CM

2x Dell UP2516D

- First System (Retired) -

Intel Xeon 1231v3 | 16GB Crucial Ballistix Sport Dual Channel | Gigabyte H97 D3H | Gigabyte GTX 970 Gaming G1 | 525 GB Crucial MX 300 | 1 TB + 2 TB Seagate HDD
be quiet! 500W Straight Power E10 CM | be quiet! Silent Base 800 with stock fans | be quiet! Dark Rock Advanced C1 | 2x Dell UP2516D

Reviews: be quiet! Silent Base 800 | MSI GTX 950 OC

3 minutes ago, 19_blackie_73 said:

Depends on what you can spend, there are options from $200 to $70k or more

Like 300 and above max or like a thousand

PC: Motherboard: ASUS B550M TUF-Plus, CPU: Ryzen 3 3100, CPU Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34, GPU: GIGABYTE WindForce GTX1650S, RAM: HyperX Fury RGB 2x8GB 3200 CL16, Case, CoolerMaster MB311L ARGB, Boot Drive: 250GB MX500, Game Drive: WD Blue 1TB 7200RPM HDD.

Peripherals: GK61 (Optical Gateron Red) with Mistel White/Orange keycaps, Logitech G102 (Purple), BitWit Ensemble Grey Deskpad. 

Build Log: 

52 minutes ago, TofuHaroto said:

Hello so im planning to get into cinematography but I'm a total noob and I almost know nothing so is there any camera you can recommend I'm planning on getting into it in the next year or so after I get some knowledge about the topic so any camera that is nice compact and capable for a noob like me also is there any releases for the next year or so that could be a good deal? 

Just get a used 80D and a 24-70. Once you've learned the basics of photography and video you'll have a better idea of what you're looking for in a camera.

49 minutes ago, TofuHaroto said:

Like 300 and above max or like a thousand

like @LyondellBasell said, for that price range a recent model of canon dslr on the used market is probably your best choice then. I wouldn't buy new, especially as I would see this as a stop gap and you can get out of that camera for little to no loss of money. Even a 750d or something like that with a kit lens would be a good starting point, and just add lenses as you need

- Ryzen Build -

R5 3600 | MSI X470 Gaming Plus MAX | 16GB CL16 3200MHz Corsair LPX | Dark Rock 4

MSI 2060 Super Gaming X

2x Dell UP2516D

Intel Xeon 1231v3 | 16GB Crucial Ballistix Sport Dual Channel | Gigabyte H97 D3H | Gigabyte GTX 970 Gaming G1 | 525 GB Crucial MX 300 | 1 TB + 2 TB Seagate HDD
be quiet! 500W Straight Power E10 CM | be quiet! Silent Base 800 with stock fans | be quiet! Dark Rock Advanced C1 | 2x Dell UP2516D

22 minutes ago, LyondellBasell said:

Just get a used 80D and a 24-70. Once you've learned the basics of photography and video you'll have a better idea of what you're looking for in a camera.

2 minutes ago, 19_blackie_73 said:

like @LyondellBasell said, for that price range a recent model of canon dslr on the used market is probably your best choice then. I wouldn't buy new, especially as I would see this as a stop gap and you can get out of that camera for little to no loss of money. Even a 750d or something like that with a kit lens would be a good starting point, and just add lenses as you need

Alright thank you all ?

Build Log: 

5 minutes ago, 19_blackie_73 said:

Another thing I just remembered I have a Google pixel 3 and for a phone camera it's known for its quality so is it a good starting point just wondering?

Build Log: 

30 minutes ago, TofuHaroto said:

Another thing I just remembered I have a Google pixel 3 and for a phone camera it's known for its quality so is it a good starting point just wondering?

with a gimbal you can get good results too. for a starting point and just trying it is valid, though you are limited to the one single lens and focal length. And you don't have the option for manual focus pulling and getting to play with settings, so if you are set on doing filming in great depth you are better off with a dslr. That's why I said buy used, to get out of it for pretty much no cost if you don't continue using it. But you can try with your phone too for a start

- Ryzen Build -

MSI 2060 Super Gaming X

2x Dell UP2516D

9 minutes ago, 19_blackie_73 said:

with a gimbal you can get good results too. for a starting point and just trying it is valid, though you are limited to the one single lens and focal length. And you don't have the option for manual focus pulling and getting to play with settings, so if you are set on doing filming in great depth you are better off with a dslr. That's why I said buy used, to get out of it for pretty much no cost if you don't continue using it. But you can try with your phone too for a start

Alright thank you so much for helping me ?

Build Log: 

There way too many choices. probably better when you figure out what you want to shoot, and how small/weight you want, and what characteristics you want.

personally I would NOT recommend an 80D any more, mirror less cameras are a lot better for video. an 80D would work just fine, but most importantly mirror less cameras have focus peeking witch will be important to lean and be familiar with when you step up in to more advanced work. Id recommend a Sony or Panasonic. Also then you will be able to shoot in LOG witch is also valuable to learn. mirror less cameras have a lot more cinema type features.

Don't Judge my spelling I'm dyslexic 

On 1/18/2020 at 8:05 PM, Teradore said:

personally I would NOT recommend an 80D any more, mirror less cameras are a lot better for video. an 80D would work just fine, but most importantly mirror less cameras have focus peeking witch will be important to lean and be familiar with when you step up in to more advanced work. Id recommend a Sony or Panasonic. Also then you will be able to shoot in LOG witch is also valuable to learn. mirror less cameras have a lot more cinema type features.

And I recommend Fujifilm.

“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Try to make sense of what you see and wonder about what makes the universe exist. Be curious. And however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at. 
It matters that you don't just give up.”

-Stephen Hawking