what OS to use for game server hosting

branb

What os could i use for hosting game servers. its a small temporary server but im going through this one to see if it will work. i want to be able to easily run servers on this os so please leave suggestions (i think it has 8 gb ram) i know how to portfoward and everything but i just need an easy to use OS that will host servers

If you wnt to run multiple servers, id run a hypervisor on the host, then a vm for each game server.

What os does it support. Normally id go linux if you can, its free, and normally faster.

Use what the game recommends.

In some games they work best with linux, others with windows.

Ryzen 5700g @ 4.4ghz all cores | Asrock B550M Steel Legend | 3060 | 2x 16gb Micron E 2666 @ 4200mhz cl16 | 500gb WD SN750 | 12 TB HDD | Deepcool Gammax 400 w/ 2 delta 4000rpm push pull | Antec Neo Eco Zen 500w

1 minute ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

If you wnt to run multiple servers, id run a hypervisor on the host, then a vm for each game server.

What os does it support. Normally id go linux if you can, its free, and normally faster.

ok what flavor of linux?

Just now, branb said:

ok what flavor of linux?

what do you like to use?

All the big ones normally work fine, so ubuntu, debain, centos.

Just now, Electronics Wizardy said:

what do you like to use?

All the big ones normally work fine, so ubuntu, debain, centos.

i need a lightweight one that barely takes up cpu and ram

whatever the game servers that you want to run, run on.

a lot of stuff is (unfortunately) windos only.

if linux is an option, i'd say either ubuntu server because barebones, or xubuntu because low barrier to entry. depending on which you prefer.

2 minutes ago, branb said:

i need a lightweight one that barely takes up cpu and ram

All of those are pretty lightweight on their own. like 100-200mb of ram and about 2-4gb of disk space used for a basic install.

You're asking very general questions. 

As others have stated, you should use an OS that your game server recommends and supports. Consider the one you feel most comfortable with as well...i.e if they support Windows, then run Windows if thats what you find easiest to manage, but consider what mods/plugins/management tools etc...are also available on your OS. 

If you want a specific answer, be specific with which game servers you want to run

Spoiler

Desktop: Ryzen9 5950X | ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Hero (Wifi) | EVGA RTX 3080Ti FTW3 | 32GB (2x16GB) Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB Pro 3600Mhz | EKWB EK-AIO 360D-RGB | EKWB EK-Vardar RGB Fans | 1TB Samsung 980 Pro, 4TB Samsung 980 Pro | Corsair 5000D Airflow | Corsair HX850 Platinum PSU | Asus ROG 42" OLED PG42UQ + LG 32" 32GK850G Monitor | Roccat Vulcan TKL Pro Keyboard | Logitech G Pro X Superlight  | MicroLab Solo 7C Speakers | Audio-Technica ATH-M50xBT2 LE Headphones | TC-Helicon GoXLR | Audio-Technica AT2035 | LTT Desk Mat | XBOX-X Controller | Windows 11 Pro

Spoiler

Server: Fractal Design Define R6 | Ryzen 3950x | ASRock X570 Taichi | EVGA GTX1070 FTW | 64GB (4x16GB) Corsair Vengeance LPX 3000Mhz | Corsair RM850v2 PSU | Fractal S36 Triple AIO | 12 x 8TB HGST Ultrastar He10 (WD Whitelabel) | 500GB Aorus Gen4 NVMe | 2 x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo Plus NVMe | LSI 9211-8i HBA

3 minutes ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

All of those are pretty lightweight on their own. like 100-200mb of ram and about 2-4gb of disk space used for a basic install.

should i just use like windows server 2008? and if so where would i get a download for that

Just now, branb said:

should i just use like windows server 2008? and if so where would i get a download for that

dont user server 2008, use 2019 or windows 10 if your gonna run windows. server 2008 is basically vista and not supporter and like 12 years old now. also much heavier than most linux distros.

what game servers are you running? Id run linux if you can.

dont user server 2008, use 2019 or windows 10 if your gonna run windows. server 2008 is basically vista and not supporter and like 12 years old now. also much heavier than most linux distros.

what game servers are you running? Id run linux if you can.

so minecraft, garrys mod, alot of other source games,rust server, 

Just now, branb said:

so minecraft, garrys mod, alot of other source games,rust server, 

minecraft is java, runs on linux easily

source stuff also runs on linux easily.

what hardware specs? Id run a hypervisor on the host. also get more than 8gb of ram if you can.

4 minutes ago, branb said:

No, regular windows will do.

Windows server differs in hardware supports, like multiple CPU socket  or max memory support.

Everything else is the same, maybe some software features is disabled but it can be enabled some way or another.

Ryzen 5700g @ 4.4ghz all cores | Asrock B550M Steel Legend | 3060 | 2x 16gb Micron E 2666 @ 4200mhz cl16 | 500gb WD SN750 | 12 TB HDD | Deepcool Gammax 400 w/ 2 delta 4000rpm push pull | Antec Neo Eco Zen 500w

what hardware specs? Id run a hypervisor on the host. also get more than 8gb of ram if you can.

yeah im gonna get more ram the specs are amd a4-5000 apu - 1.5ghz 6 gb ram

2 minutes ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

also how would i setup a hypervisor

1 minute ago, branb said:

why not just try it? You got the hardware, see how it does.

Toss a a hypervisor on there and start making sme vms

why not just try it? You got the hardware, see how it does.

Toss a a hypervisor on there and start making sme vms

how would i go about doing this?

Just now, branb said:

how would i go about doing this?

install a hypervisor on the hardware like proxmox, then go in the webgui and make vms or containers.

install a hypervisor on the hardware like proxmox, then go in the webgui and make vms or containers.

ok thank you

21 hours ago, branb said:

wouldnt run a rust server on that cpu. wont be a fun time. Also want atlest 6gg for rust alone if not more. Also as for os i personal run windowns 10 pro as all my servers are dual cpu but linux is another good option as all those game servers are fairly easy to set up. 

CPU - I9 10900 | CPU Cooler - Corsair Hydro Series H100x AIO | Motherboard -  Aorus B460 PRO AC | RAM -G.SKILL Ripjaw V series 4x8GB 2666MHZ | Graphics Card - Gigabyte RTX 3070  | Power Supply - Cooler Master 650w  | Storage -  Working on a new Spicy 

Operating System - Windows 10 Pro