Broke a usb 3.0 pin on a nice motherboard

While pulling out a psu cable, i knocked the usb 3.0 plug out of my mobo and a pin fell off. I'm not using this mobo anymore but I want to either sell it or give it to a friend. Does anyone know an easy way to fix or counteract this like a usb 3.0 pcie thing? I think msi asks a $45 return and replace fee for stuff like this so any thoughts on anything cheaper?

Its a MSI z370 gaming m5

Is it broken off or bent over?

Anyways, there is still another USB 3.0 header, so for most people that should be plenty. I would still consider selling it to a friend, properly telling them of course.

Otherwise you could look into soldering something in yourself, but I  don't recommend that.

If you are just going to end up not using that port, make sure the broken pin is not touch any of the other pins

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

1 minute ago, minibois said:

Is it broken off or bent over?

Anyways, there is still another USB 3.0 header, so for most people that should be plenty. I would still consider selling it to a friend, properly telling them of course.

Otherwise you could look into soldering something in yourself, but I  don't recommend that.

If you are just going to end up not using that port, make sure the broken pin is not touch any of the other pins

The pin is completely off. I do think i have pretty good soldering skills so that may be an option but yeah ill prob just take $50 off the price tag :(

I know of some motherboards where those pins are soldered right through the entire PCB. With careful heating and fine motor skills, you might be able to resolder and replace if you can see the traces on the other side of the board. If there are seemingly no correlating traces present, it's a lost cause.

You can get an idea of a header that goes through the PCB here. Take a look at the 5th picture and see if what you find on the other side of the board is similar.

You have another connector, I wouldn't sweat it.

Please quote me in your messages so that I am notified!

Remember to mark my post as answer if it answered your question!

Thank you! 😄

CPU: Ryzen 5 2600 @4.5ghz| Motherboard: Gigabyte AORUS M Micro-atx | 

RAM: 16gb Corsair Vengeance @ 3200mhz | GPU: Powercolor Red Devil Vega 56 | 

Case: Cooler Master NR400 | Storage: 512gb ADATA SX8200 Pro, some 2tb hard drives | 

PSU: Seasonic Focus+ 750w Platinum | Display(s):Viewsonic XG2402 / AOC I2367FH | 

Cooling: Scythe Kabuto 3 / 3x Thermaltake Riing RGB Fans | Keyboard: Corsair K65 Lux | 

Mouse: Corsair Harpoon | Sound: Steelseries Arctis 3 | Operating System: Windows 10 Home

5 minutes ago, Kaaverik said:

I know of some motherboards where those pins are soldered right through the entire PCB. With careful heating and fine motor skills, you might be able to resolder and replace if you can see the traces on the other side of the board. If there are seemingly no correlating traces present, it's a lost cause.

You can get an idea of a header that goes through the PCB here. Take a look at the 5th picture and see if what you find on the other side of the board is similar.

You have another connector, I wouldn't sweat it.

I think the holes may be too fine and the plastic in the "cover" maybe present a problem. what do you think?

IMG-5292.jpg

IMG-5291.jpg

Top right pin is ID ... it's probably not connected to anything, it's there just to prevent you from inserting the connector the wrong way

The header has two rows, each row has the pins for a usb 3 connector. The top row is offset to the left by 1 pin  (or the bottom is offset to the right, whichever way you want to look at things)

absolutely worst case scenario, the usb 3 connector associated with the top row will stop working, or work only in usb 2.0 mode, but the bottom row is fine, so should work.

image.png.a29cf5d99a483f7a876de39fb7b4277c.png

1 minute ago, mariushm said:

Top right pin is ID ... it's probably not connected to anything, it's there just to prevent you from inserting the connector the wrong way

The header has two rows, each row has the pins for a usb 3 connector. The top row is offset to the left by 1 pin  (or the bottom is offset to the right, whichever way you want to look at things)

absolutely worst case scenario, the usb 3 connector associated with the top row will stop working, or work only in usb 2.0 mode, but the bottom row is fine, so should work.

image.png.a29cf5d99a483f7a876de39fb7b4277c.png

EPIC! thanks for the analysis

Just now, aldoggy said:

https://forums.tomshardware.com/threads/please-help-me-bent-usb-3-0-id-pin.2876063/ 

alright i found this and am less worried now. Thanks everyone

The person who received it isn't going to be happy they got a damaged board unless it's free, where they can go and buy a PCIe USB 3.0 card that comes with a internal USB 3 header.

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy x360 BP series Intel 8th gen

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

5820K & 6800K 3-way SLI mobo support list