Sanity Check: PC for Video Production/light gaming/desktop publishing

Aluavin

Hey,

so my GF asked me to plan a PC for her. Mainly because she needs to spend some money this year because of Tax-Issues we certainly will encounter.

She works in the TV industry and wants to/has to do homeoffice once in a while because the software they have is shit. So she is into video production also at home and works most of the time with the adobe suite and some other software I don't understand. I bought her a PC a couple of years ago on ebay and this PC is taking ages to render a video. this needs to be improved.

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 3900X 3.8 GHz 12-Core Processor  (€497.99 @ Amazon Deutschland)
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 82.5 CFM CPU Cooler  (€87.79 @ Aquatuning)
Motherboard: MSI MEG X570 UNIFY ATX AM4 Motherboard  (€305.99 @ Alternate)
Memory: G.Skill Trident Z Neo 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3600 Memory  (€130.89 @ Mindfactory)
Memory: G.Skill Trident Z Neo 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3600 Memory  (€130.89 @ Mindfactory)
Storage: Samsung 970 Pro 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive  (€314.00 @ Amazon Deutschland)
Video Card: MSI GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER 8 GB GAMING X TRIO Video Card  (€577.99 @ Mindfactory)
Case: Fractal Design Define R6 USB-C ATX Mid Tower Case  (€146.89 @ Alternate)
Power Supply: SeaSonic FOCUS Plus Platinum 750 W 80+ Platinum Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply  (€134.99 @ ARLT)
Total: €2327.42
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-01-15 10:51 CET+0100

Some Notes:

- Storage will be carried over from her old PC. Also we have a 10gig LAN and a server.

- Threadripper is overkill IMHO because she works from home 1-4 times a month.

- I like to avoid `GAMING` - Names for certain  parts.

- No AiO because of maintainability.

Would this one do the job? Is the Memory good enough for Zen2? 2070 SUPER too much or should I rather go for Quadro Cards? Which one is recomeded here?

pretty good, actually very good.

2070 is pretty much the starting point for professionals who have a bit of money to burn, some would recommend a bit more but that's for you to asnwer

quadro is if you're super paranoid and need every little drop of performance, but at that point you'd get a server mobo and use ecc ram as well

CPU: Intel core i7-8086K Case: CORSAIR Crystal 570X RGB CPU Cooler: Corsair Hydro Series H150i PRO RGB Storage: Samsung 980 Pro - 2TB NVMe SSD PSU: EVGA 1000 GQ, 80+ GOLD 1000W, Semi Modular GPU: MSI Radeon RX 580 GAMING X 8G RAM: Corsair Dominator Platinum 64GB (4 x 16GB) DDR4 3200mhz Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z370-E Gaming

Made some changes.

Same cooler but more compatible so it doesn't clash with ram.

Cheaper motherboard

2x16gb ram instead of 4x8 (leaves room to upgrade, also cheaper)

Pcie 4 storage for cheaper than the samsung drive.

Better psu (even if it's gold v platinum, it's actually better quality with more reliable protection)

With the savings, upgraded to a 2080 super. You can dial that back to a 2070 s if you think it's too much. Unfortunately, no good gpu's are without "gaming" in their names.

3 minutes ago, boggy77 said:

Made some changes.

Cheaper motherboard

Better psu (even if it's gold v platinum, it's actually better quality with more reliable protection)

With the savings, upgraded to a 2080 super. You can dial that back to a 2070 s if you think it's too much. Unfortunately, no good gpu's are without "gaming" in their names.

don't go with the prime, it's a terrible board for professional use, the meg is a perfect choice for eatx uses

also stick with the samsung pro, it has a longer lifespan

CPU: Intel core i7-8086K Case: CORSAIR Crystal 570X RGB CPU Cooler: Corsair Hydro Series H150i PRO RGB Storage: Samsung 980 Pro - 2TB NVMe SSD PSU: EVGA 1000 GQ, 80+ GOLD 1000W, Semi Modular GPU: MSI Radeon RX 580 GAMING X 8G RAM: Corsair Dominator Platinum 64GB (4 x 16GB) DDR4 3200mhz Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z370-E Gaming

Thanks for the replies!

28 minutes ago, boggy77 said:

Made some changes.

Cheaper motherboard

The Cooler is there because I have one already at home. Since the case is closed there should be no issues with the NH-D15. 2x16 is a good idea. totally forgot that this is an option. pcie4 nvme is a nice bonus - but not nessesary yet. thats why I went with samsung because so far they've been reliable.

29 minutes ago, Jumballi said:

pretty good, actually very good.

2070 is pretty much the starting point for professionals who have a bit of money to burn, some would recommend a bit more but that's for you to asnwer

quadro is if you're super paranoid and need every little drop of performance, but at that point you'd get a server mobo and use ecc ram as well

good to know. I think than 2070s it is. more would be wasted. fortunatly we can upgrade the graphics card pretty easy and therefore I think 2070s is enough for the next 2-4 years. she currently has two 1080p dell 60hz monitors and a 2070s should drive them pretty easy for 3 years.

30 minutes ago, Plouffe said:

Thanks, will give her the choice of brands regarding PSU. Corsair is kinda burned for me because of their support.

7 minutes ago, Aluavin said:

Thanks, will give her the choice of brands regarding PSU. Corsair is kinda burned for me because of their support.

the bitfenix one i have in my build is the best of the ones suggested.

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 3900X 3.8 GHz 12-Core Processor  (€497.99 @ Mindfactory) 
CPU Cooler: Scythe FUMA 2 51.17 CFM CPU Cooler  (€59.80 @ Alza) 
Motherboard: MSI MEG X570 UNIFY ATX AM4 Motherboard  (€305.99 @ Alternate) 
Memory: Crucial Ballistix Sport LT 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3200 Memory  (€148.90 @ Amazon Deutschland) 
Storage: Silicon Power 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive  (€140.97 @ Amazon Deutschland) 
Video Card: MSI GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER 8 GB GAMING X TRIO Video Card  (€596.99 @ Mindfactory) 
Case: be quiet! Silent Base 801 ATX Mid Tower Case  (€128.69 @ Mindfactory) 
Power Supply: BitFenix Whisper M 650 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply  (€94.90 @ Amazon Deutschland) 
Total: €1974.23
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-01-15 13:58 CET+0100

more cost optimizations. 

ignore PSU warning from PCP, its an issue they are aware off that they havent fixed. 

edit:

• different case that should be slighly neater, but also saves a bit. 
  • same SSD but different brand
  • PSU is rather good and more than good enough for the system
  • E-die kit if you ever want to add more ram to the system. 
  • cooler is more than good enough, and you dont need to pay the extra

3 hours ago, GoldenLag said:

different case that should be slighly neater, but also saves a bit. 

Thanks - but be quiet! feels kinda cheap.

3 hours ago, GoldenLag said:
  • same SSD but different brand

can you elaborate why it should be the same ssd? are they using the same dies or the same controler or both?

9 minutes ago, Aluavin said:

can you elaborate why it should be the same ssd? are they using the same dies or the same controler or both?

same controller and same nand flash. 

9 minutes ago, Aluavin said:

Thanks - but be quiet! feels kinda cheap.

ok? i guess.......

so I happened to notice that you don't have a hard drive on there, ssd get slower the more filled up they get, so it's worthwhile to add a cheap hdd just as large storage to move your older projects onto

9 hours ago, Jumballi said:

so I happened to notice that you don't have a hard drive on there, ssd get slower the more filled up they get, so it's worthwhile to add a cheap hdd just as large storage to move your older projects onto

21 hours ago, Aluavin said:

- Storage will be carried over from her old PC. Also we have a 10gig LAN and a server.

In total she will have 2TB of flash in her PC and 4tb of HDD. Finished projects will go to the server. I think its enough.

23 hours ago, Aluavin said:

Would this one do the job? Is the Memory good enough for Zen2? 2070 SUPER too much or should I rather go for Quadro Cards? Which one is recomeded here?

The NH-D15 and Trident Neo memory modules are not an optimal combination. In its standard configuration the outer fan of the cooler overhangs memory with 32mm clearance. Consider instead Corsair Vengeance LPX modules or the NH-D15S or Dark Rock Pro 4.

It would be better to get a 2x16GB memory kit as that allows for a no replacement upgrade should more be needed.

If you want to stick with 8GB memory modules, get a 4x8GB kit. Memory kits contain electrically matched modules. Also overclocking profiles (XMP) are based on all modules in the kit.

Seasonic Focus Plus Platinum is an excellent choice for psu. So is the Focus Gold.

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 3900X 3.8 GHz 12-Core Processor  (€497.99 @ Amazon Deutschland) 
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15S 82.52 CFM CPU Cooler  (€79.90 @ Amazon Deutschland) 
Motherboard: MSI MEG X570 UNIFY ATX AM4 Motherboard  (€305.99 @ Alternate) 
Memory: G.Skill Trident Z Neo 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3600 Memory  (€195.89 @ Mindfactory) 
Storage: Samsung 970 Pro 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive  (€314.00 @ Amazon Deutschland) 
Video Card: MSI GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER 8 GB GAMING X TRIO Video Card  (€582.89 @ Mindfactory) 
Case: Fractal Design Define R6 USB-C ATX Mid Tower Case  (€146.89 @ Alternate) 
Power Supply: SeaSonic FOCUS Plus Platinum 750 W 80+ Platinum Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply  (€134.99 @ ARLT) 
Total: €2258.54
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-01-16 10:27 CET+0100

80+ ratings certify electrical efficiency. Not quality.

Same performance, yet cheaper...

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 3900X 3.8 GHz 12-Core Processor  (€497.99 @ Mindfactory) 
Motherboard: Asus PRIME X570-P ATX AM4 Motherboard  (€182.90 @ Alternate) 
Memory: G.Skill Trident Z Neo 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3600 Memory  (€195.89 @ Mindfactory) 
Storage: Sabrent Rocket 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive  (€119.99 @ Amazon Deutschland) 
Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER 8 GB WINDFORCE OC 3X Video Card  (€536.69 @ Mindfactory) 
Case: Cooler Master MasterBox NR600 (w/o ODD) ATX Mid Tower Case  (€72.81 @ Amazon Deutschland) 
Power Supply: BitFenix Formula Gold 650 W 80+ Gold Certified ATX Power Supply  (€79.90 @ Amazon Deutschland) 
Total: €1686.17
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-01-16 10:46 CET+0100

SSD TIER LIST

CPU - Ryzen 7 3700X

Mobo - ASRock X470 Taichi

Memory - G.Skill Trident Z RGB (8x2 3200MHz) 

Storage - Sabrent Rocket 1TB - Seagate Barracuda 2TBWD Black 1TB

GPU - MSI GeForce GTX 980Ti LIGHTNING

CaseFractal Design Meshify C

PSUSuper Flower Leadex II Gold 650W