What should I do with my homeserver

Mereics

Hi! I recently bought an Dell PowerEdge R610, with 2 Intel Xeon E5645 and 24gb ram (Why I bought it? Because it was so cheap).

What should I do with it to get some money out of it? I have pretty good network connection, but at this time I don't own an UPS.

3 minutes ago, Mereics said:

What should I do with it to get some money out of it?

Rent it out to homeless shelters are a somewhat portable noisy furnace.

NOTE: I no longer frequent this site. If you really need help, PM/DM me and my e.mail will alert me. 

I picked up an r710 not too long ago and I run game servers off of it.  I don't rent out server space, but I tend to make a few bucks here and there from donations from players.

In terms of "making money" there's not a whole lot of direct means for it to do that I know of and what's available won't make a whole lot unless you'd like to take what little you get and invest it in the stock market or something.

You're better off just finding a way for it to benefit your personal needs like Plex, a game server, a file server, or a virtualization server (if you virtualize you could do all of them at once).

If you have to pay for power it will be a challenge to make any money with it.  Not saying you can't but a challenge.

if you are feeling generous, there is always BOINC and Folding@home...

What can be fun/educational is to download a free copy of VMWare and explore virtualization...it's kinda cool...you can build an entire virtual data center inside a single server.  You can setup a LAN, NAS, web server, firewall server, database server, process server, application server, media server, game server, and personal workstations with every flavor of OS.  That said it's time consuming..

2 hours ago, Stu_Bear said:

What can be fun/educational is to download a free copy of VMWare and explore virtualization...it's kinda cool...you can build an entire virtual data center inside a single server.  You can setup a LAN, NAS, web server, firewall server, database server, process server, application server, media server, game server, and personal workstations with every flavor of OS.  That said it's time consuming..

This is what I am doing now! I installed proxmox and I am exploring the beauty of multiple VM-s in a single server and it's capabilities. 

I will try to host some gameservers, managed by myself. I think this are the best options for this old hot guy ;)