1.475V for Ryzen 5 3600?

Go to solution Solved by glenalz81,

What is the cpu voltage under full load?

I got MSI board and Ryzen 5 3600. I am checking the volts with HWmonitor. Under "max" column I always see all cores have at some point jumped to 1.475 volts even when just browsing. That looks too much even if its momentary spikes. All cores easily hit 4.2 at the moment.

What is the fastest way I can get this to 1.375? I am positive I'll have similar performance with better thermals and longer life for the cpu.

You could try messing with a core voltage offset in the BIOS.

Desktop: Intel Core i9-9900K | ASUS Strix Z390-F | G.Skill Trident Z Neo 2x16GB 3200MHz CL14 | EVGA GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER XC Ultra | Corsair RM650x | Fractal Design Define R6

Laptop: 2018 Apple MacBook Pro 13"  --  i5-8259U | 8GB LPDDR3 | 512GB NVMe

Peripherals: Leopold FC660C w/ Topre Silent 45g | Logitech MX Master 3 & Razer Basilisk X HyperSpeed | HIFIMAN HE400se & iFi ZEN DAC | Audio-Technica AT2020USB+

Display: Gigabyte G34WQC

As a single jump in voltage, it's not so bad. If you were running that 24/7 it would be worse.

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

4 minutes ago, lafrente said:

I got MSI board and Ryzen 5 3600. I am checking the volts with HWmonitor. Under "max" column I always see all cores have at some point jumped to 1.475 volts even when just browsing. That looks too much even if its momentary spikes. All cores easily hit 4.2 at the moment.

What is the fastest way I can get this to 1.375? I am positive I'll have similar performance with better thermals and longer life for the cpu.

I'd imagine a small undervolt would be fine, but it would have to be small to avoid clock stretching.  And in order to determine if you've gone too far and the CPU is clock stretching then you'll need to run a benchmark to measure performance as clocks will still show regular speeds.  

As far as those highs -- they look normal.  They are instances of shorter single core speeds.

Lastly, use HWiNFO and not HWmonitor.  

AMD Ryzen 5800XFractal Design S36 360 AIO w/6 Corsair SP120L fans  |  Asus Crosshair VII WiFi X470  |  G.SKILL TridentZ 4400CL19 2x8GB @ 3800MHz 14-14-14-14-30  |  EVGA 3080 FTW3 Hybrid  |  Samsung 970 EVO M.2 NVMe 500GB - Boot Drive  |  Samsung 850 EVO SSD 1TB - Game Drive  |  Seagate 1TB HDD - Media Drive  |  EVGA 650 G3 PSU | Thermaltake Core P3 Case 

1) Update the BIOS to the latest version

2) Manually download and install the latest AMD chipset driver from amd.com

3) Only use Ryzen Master to monitor your system.

These should help with voltage spikes, especially while the system is idle.

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

19 minutes ago, nick name said:

I'd imagine a small undervolt would be fine, but it would have to be small to avoid clock stretching.  And in order to determine if you've gone too far and the CPU is clock stretching then you'll need to run a benchmark to measure performance as clocks will still show regular speeds.  

As far as those highs -- they look normal.  They are instances of shorter single core speeds.

Lastly, use HWiNFO and not HWmonitor.  

Couple minutes after running hwinfo I got 1.469V on all cores.

18 minutes ago, glenalz81 said:

What is the cpu voltage under full load?

I don't know, I don't stress test my cpu. What would you recommend for testing?

18 minutes ago, Master Disaster said:

1) Update the BIOS to the latest version

2) Manually download and install the latest AMD chipset driver from amd.com

3) Only use Ryzen Master to monitor your system.

These should help with voltage spikes, especially while the system is idle.

First two I got done almost immediately after buikding the PC. Hwinfo and hwmonitor shows pretty much the same voltages. I doubt Ryzen Master would tell me something whole lot different. 

6 minutes ago, lafrente said:

First two I got done almost immediately after buikding the PC. Hwinfo and hwmonitor shows pretty much the same voltages. I doubt Ryzen Master would tell me something whole lot different. 

Have you updated the BIOS within the last month? If not then theres a new AGESA update out which deals with high voltage spikes. Same with Chipset too, the latest one adds a new Windows Power profile designed to stop the Vcore from spiking, it was released in November IIRC.

AMD recommend using only Ryzen Master to monitor 3rd gen Ryzen as other monitoring apps tends to stop the CPU from idling by polling it to often, this messes with the results and gives the impression the system is using more volts than it actually is.

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

1 minute ago, Master Disaster said:

Have you updated the BIOS within the last month? If not then theres a new AGESA update out which deals with high voltage spikes.

AMD recommend using only Ryzen Master to monitor 3rd gen Ryzen as other monitoring apps tends to stop the CPU idling by polling it to often, this messes with the results and gives the impression the system is using more volts than it actually is.

I built the system yesterday and downloaded & updated bios. I'll dl Ryzen Master

Just now, lafrente said:

I built the system yesterday and downloaded & updated bios. I'll dl Ryzen Master

Fair enough then, you're 100% good on BIOS & drivers.

13 minutes ago, glenalz81 said:

Grab CPU-Z and Cinebench r15.

I did "stress CPU" with CPU-Z and got 1.320V max on every core and 3.9 Ghz on all cores. Max temp was 80C

Edit: Right after I stop the test, I see random cores jumping up to 1.475V every few miliseconds.

The real take-away here is: those voltages are fine.  

AMD Ryzen 5800XFractal Design S36 360 AIO w/6 Corsair SP120L fans  |  Asus Crosshair VII WiFi X470  |  G.SKILL TridentZ 4400CL19 2x8GB @ 3800MHz 14-14-14-14-30  |  EVGA 3080 FTW3 Hybrid  |  Samsung 970 EVO M.2 NVMe 500GB - Boot Drive  |  Samsung 850 EVO SSD 1TB - Game Drive  |  Seagate 1TB HDD - Media Drive  |  EVGA 650 G3 PSU | Thermaltake Core P3 Case 

Good news! Your voltages are perfectly fine, this is how XFR works on Zen 2. High voltages and clocks during quick/light tasks and lower voltages and clocks during extended/heavy tasks. As long as your per core voltages drop below 1.325v under a sustained heavy load like cinebenche your're golden.

If you don't have anything overclocked, I wouldn't worry about it. CPU's are made with longevity in mind. They usually get too slow before they die from anything.

3 minutes ago, RejZoR said:

If you don't have anything overclocked, I wouldn't worry about it. CPU's are made with longevity in mind. They usually get too slow before they die from anything.

I used my last laptop for 10 years, around 50.000 hours total on time so I wanted to make sure to get the same reliable performance. :) And it is still perfectly fine to use today as long as you have an SSD & don't bloat your system with stuff.

24 minutes ago, wolfsbane3083 said:

Good news! Your voltages are perfectly fine, this is how XFR works on Zen 2. High voltages and clocks during quick/light tasks and lower voltages and clocks during extended/heavy tasks. As long as your per core voltages drop below 1.325v under a sustained heavy load like cinebenche your're golden.

That's good to know, thanks for the info.