2080 super or wait for 3080 ( No GPU at the moment)

wako7654

Hi, i was contemplating to buy a 1080ti HOF yesterday(posted also) for 550$ instead of a 2080 super($800) but unfortunately the HOF card was gone and only $600+ 1080ti's remain. 

I game casually, and the problem i'm having now is that i am out of a GPU, and want to buy something on the higher end range that's not 2080ti (just too overpriced).

It seems at my desired price point, only 2080 supers remain, but 3080 will be coming by the end of this year and i feel that if i buy a 2080SP now i would be disappointed as i shoul'dve gone for that card. Sadly i have no GPU at the moment so waiting is kinda a problem, so i'm very torn on the decision. Any insights on what i should do for now is greatly appreciated. 

Technology will always be a "wait until this better thing comes along" deal, if you're looking to have the best.

From my perspective, I see you asking a question you've already answered. You don't currently have a GPU. You want a GPU. You should have a GPU. Current generation cards are solid performers at 1080 and 1440p, and in some cases, 4k. Performance of the next generation of cards is entirely speculative, but I expect the biggest leaps forward will revolve around RTX performance.

~Remember to quote posts to continue support on your thread~
-Don't be this kind of person-

CPU:  AMD Ryzen 7 5800x | RAM: 2x16GB Crucial Ripjaws Z | Cooling: XSPC/EK/Bitspower loop | MOBO: Gigabyte x570 Aorus Master | PSU: Seasonic Prime 750 Titanium  

SSD: 250GB Samsung 980 PRO (OS) | 1TB Crucial MX500| 2TB Crucial P2 | Case: Phanteks Evolv X | GPU: EVGA GTX 1080 Ti FTW3 (with EK Block) | HDD: 1x Seagate Barracuda 2TB

If I were you, I would probably source some temporary solution with either a discounted new budget GPU, or, a 2nd hand which you could later sell. And wait until the introduction of the new cards, to see, whether they offer any significant gain or not. Though it is not certain, they might drive RTX20 series card prices down a bit. Just get something, later you can sell it for good price, if you get a bargain.

Life is really challenging. I don't always suceed: )

Grab a 5700 to tide you over and sell it when nvdia launch 3000 series

you won’t loose much money on it 

but buy a card at launch because there’s always something new coming out 

if you buy at launch you will have it knowing you will get a full season out of it before something new comes

-13600kf 

- 4000 32gb ram 

-4070ti super duper 

The 2080s is only going to get cheaper. So buying on when its on offer or using a discount code would be an option. Nobody knows the launch price of the 3080. But one thing is known is that it will cost more.

Also there's nothing to say that NVIDIA don't launch a 3080s thats 50% more powerful than a 3080 less than 6 months after launch. There's always something better coming if you wait.

Gaming PC: • AMD Ryzen 7 3900x • 16gb Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 3200mhz • Founders Edition 2080ti • 2x Crucial 1tb nvme ssd • NZXT H1• Logitech G915TKL • Logitech G Pro • Asus ROG XG32VQ • SteelSeries Arctis Pro Wireless

Laptop: MacBook Pro M1 512gb