x570 Chipset Fans: Are they as loud as people claim? A little feedback from Ryzen owners appreciated

Hey all.

TL;DR

I'm asking you, all the Ryzen 3000 owners with x570 motherboards... how loud is the chipset fan really, in 2020, after several bios updates. Is it still whining like a baby after all the bios updates of the last 6 months? Under what conditions does it get whiny and loud? Does a PCIe 4 m.2 drive work the chipset harder, and thus heat it more, and thus make the fan louder?  Please help ya boy.

FULL 

I'm building my first new PC in 10 years. Yes, I'm still running a 2600k! I saved and saved and I'm finally ready to lay down my hard earned cash for something new. Exciting!

I was going to build a Ryzen system, but I keep reading about (and seeing videos demonstrating) noisy chipset fans. 

I use my computer to record music and to podcast, so a quiet system is a MUST. My current case and fan config is about 30(ish) db at 10cm. Not bad at all.  But I'm seeing videos online of people's chipset fans whining at high frequency, reading reddit posts of people saying they can't mask the sound or compensate for it with cases designed to reduce or dampen sound, and that the fan curves in BIOS are no help.

Admittedly, many of these posts are from 6-4 months ago. I can't find anything since then, and I'm wondering if BIOS updates have more or less resolved the problem. And then, if the BIOS has changed fan behavior, does the fan still rev up to max speed and whine like a baby sometimes? And under what conditions?   I've read that using a PCIe 4 nvme m.2 drive would run the chipset hardest and lead to most head, so would a non PCIe v4 m.2 drive be better? 

Aorus Master and Asrock Taichi seem to be particularly bad for fan noise, according to numerous posts and reviews. Is that still the case?

Not looking to know whether the sound "bugs" you. What may bug one person may not bug another. I just want to know, can you hear it audibly, is it cutting through your case fans or CPU cooler as a clear, separate sound?

Thank you all in advance, you people are the best.

Love you all, happy 2020

Auros X570 Pro Wifi, if you didn't tell me there was a fan there I would've said you were lying.  I don't hear the thing at all except on boot.  I myself made a similarly large jump from the 3570k, and I can tell you my old PSU makes more noise than the entirety of my new PC.  The chipset fan is not noticeable at all, even when all other case fans are silent and my chipset fan is spinning at 2000 RPM.  Granted my PC is under the table, but it's less than 5 feet from my ears.

QUOTE ME IN A REPLY SO I CAN SEE THE NOTIFICATION!

When there is no danger of failure there is no pleasure in success.

You could avoid it and get a b450/x470 max board

GUITAR BUILD LOG FROM SCRATCH OUT OF APPLEWOOD

- Ryzen Build -

R5 3600 | MSI X470 Gaming Plus MAX | 16GB CL16 3200MHz Corsair LPX | Dark Rock 4

MSI 2060 Super Gaming X

1TB Intel 660p | 250GB Kingston A2000 | 1TB Seagate Barracuda | 2TB WD Blue

be quiet! Silent Base 601 | be quiet! Straight Power 550W CM

2x Dell UP2516D

- First System (Retired) -

Intel Xeon 1231v3 | 16GB Crucial Ballistix Sport Dual Channel | Gigabyte H97 D3H | Gigabyte GTX 970 Gaming G1 | 525 GB Crucial MX 300 | 1 TB + 2 TB Seagate HDD
be quiet! 500W Straight Power E10 CM | be quiet! Silent Base 800 with stock fans | be quiet! Dark Rock Advanced C1 | 2x Dell UP2516D

Reviews: be quiet! Silent Base 800 | MSI GTX 950 OC

3 minutes ago, 19_blackie_73 said:

You could avoid it and get a b450/x470 max board

I could but if I don't have to, I'd rather get PCIe 4 for future proofing.  I tend to keep computers for 10 years or so.  

35 minutes ago, slorrin said:

I could but if I don't have to, I'd rather get PCIe 4 for future proofing.  I tend to keep computers for 10 years or so.  

seeing that pcie3.0 isn't even saturated except for storage since it came out, and seeing that 99% of the people don't benefit from the 3GB/s or somewhere along these lines, I doubt pcie3 will hold you more back than the age of the hardware.

- Ryzen Build -

R5 3600 | MSI X470 Gaming Plus MAX | 16GB CL16 3200MHz Corsair LPX | Dark Rock 4

MSI 2060 Super Gaming X

2x Dell UP2516D

Intel Xeon 1231v3 | 16GB Crucial Ballistix Sport Dual Channel | Gigabyte H97 D3H | Gigabyte GTX 970 Gaming G1 | 525 GB Crucial MX 300 | 1 TB + 2 TB Seagate HDD
be quiet! 500W Straight Power E10 CM | be quiet! Silent Base 800 with stock fans | be quiet! Dark Rock Advanced C1 | 2x Dell UP2516D

22 minutes ago, 19_blackie_73 said:

seeing that pcie3.0 isn't even saturated except for storage since it came out, and seeing that 99% of the people don't benefit from the 3GB/s or somewhere along these lines, I doubt pcie3 will hold you more back than the age of the hardware.

Perhaps. I still want to know how people are finding the chipset fans' volume though. Do you have an x570 board? How do you find it? 

13 minutes ago, slorrin said:

Perhaps. I still want to know how people are finding the chipset fans' volume though. Do you have an x570 board? How do you find it? 

I went because the same reason (recording music) and because of cost with an x470 board, hence no problem

Wanted to go with b450 but because of my storage config they hadn't enough lanes

If you are interested, my rig is in the signature

- Ryzen Build -

MSI 2060 Super Gaming X

2x Dell UP2516D

I have an X570 board, but the one without active chipset cooler. But from what I've gathered from users with X570 mobos with active chipset coolers/fans, they don't hear it as it doesn't kick in that often under normal usage. Most claim to not hear it at all, or at least not above the other fans in the system, so I'd put it to you, kind sir, that it'd not matter.

Main Rig: AMD AM4 R9 5900X (12C/24T) + Tt Water 3.0 ARGB 360 AIO | Gigabyte X570 Aorus Xtreme | 2x 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3600C16 | XFX MERC 310 RX 7900 XTX | 256GB Sabrent Rocket NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen 3.0 (OS) | 4TB Lexar NM790 NVMe M.2 PCIe4x4 | 2TB TG Cardea Zero Z440 NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen4x4 | 4TB Samsung 860 EVO SATA SSD | 2TB Samsung 860 QVO SATA SSD | 6TB WD Black HDD | CoolerMaster H500M | Corsair HX1000 Platinum | Topre Type Heaven + Seenda Ergonomic W/L Vertical Mouse + 8BitDo Ultimate 2.4G | iFi Micro iDSD Black Label | Philips Fidelio B97 | C49HG90DME 49" 32:9 144Hz Freesync 2 | Omnidesk Pro 2020 48" | 64bit Win11 Pro 23H2

2nd Rig: AMD AM4 R9 3900X + TR PA 120 SE | Gigabyte X570S Aorus Elite AX | 2x 16GB Patriot Viper Elite II DDR4 4000MHz | Sapphire Nitro+ RX 6900 XT | 500GB Crucial P2 Plus NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen 4.0 (OS)2TB Adata Legend 850 NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen4x4 |  2TB Kingston NV2 NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen4x4 | 4TB Leven JS600 SATA SSD | 2TB Seagate HDD | Keychron K2 + Logitech G703 | SOLDAM XR-1 Black Knight | Enermax MAXREVO 1500 | 64bit Win11 Pro 23H2

Bump!

Hoping to hear from a few more Ryzen x570 mobo owners before I pull the trigger on this. The videos on youtube got me shook.

Asus Tuf gaming x570 plus - Ryzen 5 3600 - Fractal Design Meshify C - Arctic Freeze 34 esports duo:

When the machine is idle in a silent room you can't hear it.

If I run a benchmark I can hear a slight wosh from the Case fans.

I don't hear the Mobo ever. 

24 minutes ago, Intrafinesse said:

Asus Tuf gaming x570 plus - Ryzen 5 3600 - Fractal Design Meshify C - Arctic Freeze 34 esports duo:

When the machine is idle in a silent room you can't hear it.

If I run a benchmark I can hear a slight wosh from the Case fans.

I don't hear the Mobo ever. 

Thanks for the info.  I really appreciate how helpful this forum is being.  I wonder if it's because LTT is Canadian that the canadian niceness energy is infusing throughout the forum?

Ahaha

I have the same concerns. Really want the C8H but wonder if the fan will be audible over my 4 rad fans and one exhaust

The fan is more of a fail safe while the Chipsets on 500 series boards are 15 watts opposed to 400 and earlier models of 5 watts.

15 watts isn't much to cool, the heatsinks are just big enough to actually need the fan.

They implemented the fans because it was cheaper and kept the heatsink smaller.

Most people will never experience the chipset fan at full throttle while most run typically cool and running only one Gpu.

8 minutes ago, ShrimpBrime said:

The fan is more of a fail safe while the Chipsets on 500 series boards are 15 watts opposed to 400 and earlier models of 5 watts.

15 watts isn't much to cool, the heatsinks are just big enough to actually need the fan.

They implemented the fans because it was cheaper and kept the heatsink smaller.

Most people will never experience the chipset fan at full throttle while most run typically cool and running only one Gpu.

So it shouldn't be running loud or at all during gaming for instance with a 1080Ti or 2080Ti ? Or at the very least be drowned out by the other fans in the system.

13 minutes ago, akb8812 said:

So it shouldn't be running loud or at all during gaming for instance with a 1080Ti or 2080Ti ? Or at the very least be drowned out by the other fans in the system.

You'll hear the GPU fans long before the chipset. There's multiple and much much larger. Same for the Cpu and case.

The issue is that small fans on chipsets, when spinning 100%, create a higher pitched sound than a large bladed fan. This doesn't mean it's really "loud" or "louder" than the other fans, it's just a different pitch/tone. 

8 minutes ago, ShrimpBrime said:

You'll hear the GPU fans long before the chipset. There's multiple and much much larger. Same for the Cpu.

The issue is that small fans on chipsets, when spinning 100%, create a higher pitched sound than a large bladed fan. This doesn't mean it's really "loud" or "louder" than the other fans, it's just a different pitch/tone. 

Good good, that high pitched noise is exactly what I'm worried about cause oh I remember the days when tiny little noisy as all hell fans where pretty common on motherboards. Good thing we're not quite back to those times

1 minute ago, akb8812 said:

Good good, that high pitched noise is exactly what I'm worried about cause oh I remember the days when tiny little noisy as all hell fans where pretty common on motherboards. Good thing we're not quite back to those times

I always liked having a fan on the chipset. That's how you would get 400mhz FSB clocks. 

I can confirm, AMD fans are obnoxiously loud.

Before you reply to my post, REFRESH. 99.99% chance I edited my post. 

My System: i7-13700KF // Corsair iCUE H150i Elite Capellix // MSI MPG Z690 Edge Wifi // 32GB DDR5 G. SKILL RIPJAWS S5 6000 CL32 // Nvidia RTX 4070 Super FE // Corsair 5000D Airflow // Corsair SP120 RGB Pro x7 // Seasonic Focus Plus Gold 850w //1TB ADATA XPG SX8200 Pro/1TB Teamgroup MP33/2TB Seagate 7200RPM Hard Drive // Displays: LG Ultragear 32GP83B x2 // Royal Kludge RK100 // Logitech G Pro X Superlight // Sennheiser DROP PC38x

16 minutes ago, Mister Woof said:

I can confirm, AMD fans are obnoxiously loud.

On the x570 chipset? I doubt they are made by AMD themselves.....

1 minute ago, akb8812 said:

On the x570 chipset? I doubt they are made by AMD themselves.....

It was a joke referencing AMD "fans" not fans.

Lol

My System: i7-13700KF // Corsair iCUE H150i Elite Capellix // MSI MPG Z690 Edge Wifi // 32GB DDR5 G. SKILL RIPJAWS S5 6000 CL32 // Nvidia RTX 4070 Super FE // Corsair 5000D Airflow // Corsair SP120 RGB Pro x7 // Seasonic Focus Plus Gold 850w //1TB ADATA XPG SX8200 Pro/1TB Teamgroup MP33/2TB Seagate 7200RPM Hard Drive // Displays: LG Ultragear 32GP83B x2 // Royal Kludge RK100 // Logitech G Pro X Superlight // Sennheiser DROP PC38x

X570 Crosshair VIII Impact.

You'll hear the GPU fans long before the chipset fan (and VRM fan in my case).

The motherboard fan curve is more than enough to control the speed.

Our Grace. The Feathered One. He shows us the way. His bob is majestic and shows us the path. Follow unto his guidance and His example. He knows the one true path. Our Saviour. Our Grace. Our Father Birb has taught us with His humble heart and gentle wing the way of the bob. Let us show Him our reverence and follow in His example. The True Path of the Feathered One. ~ Dimboble-dubabob III

3 minutes ago, Mister Woof said:

It was a joke referencing AMD "fans" not fans.

Lol

Ahhh....gotcha. ?‍♂️They have the right to be a bit obnxious with years of AMD being derided haha

8 minutes ago, akb8812 said:

Ahhh....gotcha. ?‍♂️They have the right to be a bit obnxious with years of AMD being derided haha

There's to in my heart for both :) well except Nvidia they can go f right off (I just, I jest)