Newly Built PC Won't Turn On... At All

dbrady9

Hello, I just built my very first computer, went to turn it on and got absolutely no lights or response on the case or any other components. Here's the specs/the troubleshooting I've done thus far in the past 2 days. Also since this is my first build I don't have spare parts lying around to swap out for testing.

Specs:

CPU: Ryzen 7 3700x

CPU Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports DUO

MOBO: MSI X570-A Pro ATX AM4

Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16gb

Storage: ADATA XPG SX8200 Pro 1TB M.2-2280 NVME SSD

GPU: MSI GeForce RTX 2070 Super 8gb Gaming X Video Card

Case: Thermaltake V200 RGB Mid Tower

PSU: Corsair RM(2019) 650w 80+ Gold Fully Modular

Troubleshooting Done Thus Far:

-Tried multiple outlets and made sure the PSU switch was turned on

-Removed the case switch cable termination and made a closure on the 2 pins with a screwdriver

-Placed a paperclip in my 24-pin main power connector to test the PSU(the fan did turn on)

-Removed all power cables from my motherboard and PSU including my main 24-pin cable, PCIe cable, and both CPU cables and re-seeded them to make sure they had good contact(did this about 3-4 times)

-Did the same thing with my graphics card and memory. Also tried single channel memory with each stick

-Again, I did this same procedure for my from case button cables including the Power and HDD LED and the Power and Reset switch

-Setup a test bench outside of the case to ensure things were seeded properly

-Lastly I used a multimeter to do some pin readings on my main 24-pin cable. I got about 3-4 reading that seemed off, they read around .002 I followed this video as a reference for testing. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tr70VyoACPg

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Have you tried testing all the outputs of your PSU to ensure when "On" it's supplying proper voltages?  I'd disconnect the PSU from the case completely and remove it.  Plug it in the wall and use your volt meter to test the ends of the cables that attach directly to your mobo, drives and GPU...

Can you send a photo of your system assembled?It could be anything from your CPU not being fully inserted (I've personally done that) to the RAM is in the wrong slots, the motherboard being dead (I've done that too!)

"Put as much effort into your question as you'd expect someone to give in an answer"- @Princess Luna

Make sure to Quote posts or tag the person with @[username] so they know you responded to them!

RGB Build Post 2019 --- Rainbow 🦆 2020 --- Velka 5 V2.0 Build 2021

Purple Build Post ---  Blue Build Post --- Blue Build Post 2018 --- Project ITNOS

CPU i7-4790k    Motherboard Gigabyte Z97N-WIFI    RAM G.Skill Sniper DDR3 1866mhz    GPU EVGA GTX1080Ti FTW3    Case Corsair 380T   

Storage Samsung EVO 250GB, Samsung EVO 1TB, WD Black 3TB, WD Black 5TB    PSU Corsair CX750M    Cooling Cryorig H7 with NF-A12x25

6 minutes ago, Stu_Bear said:

Have you tried testing all the outputs of your PSU to ensure when "On" it's supplying proper voltages?  I'd disconnect the PSU from the case completely and remove it.  Plug it in the wall and use your volt meter to test the ends of the cables that attach directly to your mobo, drives and GPU...

I will try this, so far I've only tested my main 24-pin cable

2 minutes ago, TVwazhere said:

Can you send a photo of your system assembled?It could be anything from your CPU not being fully inserted (I've persoanlly done that) to the RAM is in the wrong slots, the motherrboard being dead (I've done that too!)

What he said...I'd next take out the cpu, ram, gpu and drives...disconnect everything from the mobo that can be disconnected...remove even the battery...after removing the battery hold the start button down for 20 seconds.  Then reassemble and give it another whirl..

tried booting outside the case? maybe a standoff is shorting something on the mobo.

GPU drivers giving you a hard time? Try this! (DDU)

23 minutes ago, TVwazhere said:

Can you send a photo of your system assembled?It could be anything from your CPU not being fully inserted (I've persoanlly done that) to the RAM is in the wrong slots, the motherrboard being dead (I've done that too!)

Yes, I can send a picture/video in about 2 hours when I'm home. I'm honestly thinking it's a dead Motherboard but that might just be a nubie assumption

8 minutes ago, LukaH said:

tried booting outside the case? maybe a standoff is shorting something on the mobo.

I tried booting in and outside of the case.

1 minute ago, dbrady9 said:

I tried booting in and outside of the case.

if the cpu is seated correctly when you have a chance to check - it's most likely a mobo problem. if you have a spare ddr4 system or a friend that can lend you theirs you can check most of the components and zero in on the problem.

GPU drivers giving you a hard time? Try this! (DDU)

2 hours ago, TVwazhere said:

Can you send a photo of your system assembled?It could be anything from your CPU not being fully inserted (I've personally done that) to the RAM is in the wrong slots, the motherboard being dead (I've done that too!)

Here’s some pictures of my test bench. I took it out of the case so it’s easier to troubleshoot.

A0246004-2682-4F3E-BD12-E921D89750AE.jpeg

BEA7E093-D49B-42B9-906D-BF11578FC7C1.jpeg

D3B40BB9-AB31-4629-BBB5-E47FAE562A9D.jpeg

8C0256A3-C212-4E18-897C-BD87A52720E9.jpeg

3CD78E8C-2926-46BC-B581-D929E3ECA862.jpeg

4 minutes ago, dbrady9 said:

@TVwazhere any thoughts based on the pictures above?^

The CPU looks fully socketed in, and the RAM are in the correct DIMM slots. Since your PSU passed the paperclip tests, The only suggestion I have is to reinstall the CPU. Otherwise, the most likely scenario right now is a dead motherboard. We cant confirm that though unless you have a spare system to test the GPU, CPU and RAM.

this is what the CPU looked liked on my friends system when it wasnt installed correctly (the brackets were bending a bit from the force) yours does not seem to be doing that. Did you make sure the CPU positioner triangle lined up with the one on the socket?

20190907_145124.thumb.jpg.ff205796438a1bf2e65a4f2059f95aae.jpg

"Put as much effort into your question as you'd expect someone to give in an answer"- @Princess Luna

Make sure to Quote posts or tag the person with @[username] so they know you responded to them!

RGB Build Post 2019 --- Rainbow 🦆 2020 --- Velka 5 V2.0 Build 2021

Purple Build Post ---  Blue Build Post --- Blue Build Post 2018 --- Project ITNOS

CPU i7-4790k    Motherboard Gigabyte Z97N-WIFI    RAM G.Skill Sniper DDR3 1866mhz    GPU EVGA GTX1080Ti FTW3    Case Corsair 380T   

Storage Samsung EVO 250GB, Samsung EVO 1TB, WD Black 3TB, WD Black 5TB    PSU Corsair CX750M    Cooling Cryorig H7 with NF-A12x25

44 minutes ago, TVwazhere said:

The CPU looks fully socketed in, and the RAM are in the correct DIMM slots. Since your PSU passed the paperclip tests, The only suggestion I have is to reinstall the CPU. Otherwise, the most likely scenario right now is a dead motherboard. We cant confirm that though unless you have a spare system to test the GPU, CPU and RAM.

this is what the CPU looked liked on my friends system when it wasnt installed correctly (the brackets were bending a bit from the force) yours does not seem to be doing that. Did you make sure the CPU positioner triangle lined up with the one on the socket?

20190907_145124.thumb.jpg.ff205796438a1bf2e65a4f2059f95aae.jpg

Ok, thanks. My friend is getting rid of his old system soon so I'll see if i can test with his motherboard

PROBLEM SOLVED!!!

After about 20 hours of troubleshooting I had my Dad take a look at it and he found my mistake in 2 seconds... I didn't have both pieces of my main power connectors plugged into my power supply. Total rookie mistake but I definitely learned a lot about troubleshooting so I'd say it was worth it. The system looks great imo. Thanks for the suggestions everybody!

Doh...one for the dummies! But at least you DID learn something that will help in the future....