Now it's my turn

Nabhan

Hi everyone,

A couple months back I posted asking for help with my brother's PC build. Thankfully, we got his PC up and running great and managed to save quite a bit of money thank to suggestions from this forum. Now it's time for me to get an upgrade. Currently, this is the build I am looking at, and I'd like some as to what case I should get. Preferably, I want one with good airflow as well as USB-C. Initially I was looking at the Cooler Master Mastercase H500 Mesh, but it turned out to be quite expensive here in Malaysia. Right now I am looking at the Cooler Master Masterbox pro 5 Nvidia, but any suggestions are welcome. If all else fails, would my current case, a Cooler Master N400, still be a good choice?PCpartpicker.thumb.png.5b479d92906d47468a69c1158402db1c.png

For starters DO NOT pay $799.99 for a GTX 1080...you can buy new-open-box for $350 if you are patient or used for $300.  Or buy a used GTX 1080 Ti for ~$500.  If you insist on new I'd get the GTX 2070 Super which still is less than $799.99 by a lot.  I think even the GTX 2080 Super is less than that?

don't get that motherboard. i recommend a msi b450 max series or a asus x570 or gigabyte x570. the gigabyte b450 aren't great.

as for case, see how much a fractal design focus G is.

and yes, don't pay 800 on a 1080.

Just now, Stu_Bear said:

For starters DO NOT pay $799.99 for a GTX 1080...you can buy new-open-box for $350 if you are patient or used for $300.  Or buy a used GTX 1080 Ti for ~$500.  If you insist on new I'd get the GTX 2070 Super which still is less than $799.99 by a lot.  I think even the GTX 2080 Super is less than that?

Don't worry, I'm not going to buy one new. I found a used 1080 of that model and just put it in the list. 1080ti is a bit more expensive here, even used. The price is about double of a used 1080 at around RM2300($560)

5 minutes ago, boggy77 said:

don't get that motherboard. i recommend a msi b450 max series or a asus x570 or gigabyte x570. the gigabyte b450 aren't great.

as for case, see how much a fractal design focus G is.

and yes, don't pay 800 on a 1080.

Really? Most people I've spoken to recommended the Aorus. What is the issue with them, if you don't mind me asking? Unfortunately, the X series boards are all out of my price range, but the MSI B450 Tomahawk Max is closer in price to the price I'm getting for the Aorus. Also, the Fractal Design Focus G has to be shipped from the US, but price-wise is just slightly more expensive than the MasterBox Pro 5.

5 minutes ago, Nabhan said:

Most people I've spoken to recommended the Aorus

maybe the x570 version.

the b450 version has poor vrm's. it is barely enough for an overclocked 3600. if you ever want to upgrade cpu, you'll have to change motherboards. by comparison, the tomahawk can run a 3900x without problems.

7 minutes ago, Nabhan said:

the Fractal Design Focus G has to be shipped from the US

just get any case with a mesh front and dust filters

42 minutes ago, boggy77 said:

the gigabyte b450 aren't great.

I agree here, just finished a build with a Gigabyte B450 and the only reason I did was because the person using the computer wasn't going to be overclocking. Ever. That board may push boost but that's literally it, and don't expect upgrades to play nice.

My profile picure is real. That's what I look like in real life. I'm actually a blue and white African Wild Dog.

Ryzen 9 5900X - MSI Ventus 2x OC 3060 Ti - 2x8GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3200MHz CL16 - ASRock B550 Phantom Gaming ITX/ax

EVGA CLC 280 + 2x140mm NF-A14 - Samsung 850 EVO 500GB + WD Black SN750 1TB - Windows 11/10 - EVGA Supernova G3 1000W