Do I really need to run a wire if I'm getting this good of wifi?

mamamia88

This is the result from my laptop on wifi. I don't play any games on this computer and I'm only paying for 200. I don't copy huge files over the network but, I use plex but, I use that mostly on my tv. Even then even blu ray rips don't use anywhere near a full gigabit connection right? Is there really any point running a wire right now if my wifi is this good? Capture.thumb.PNG.eff885244165cf4d9071d7cf5849f08a.PNG

The only reason to go for ethernet over WiFi would be the guaranteed stability of a wire, over the unpredictability of wireless.

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

There's 3 reasons to run a wire:

1. Reliability
  2. Bandwidth
  3. Lower Ping

If everything is working fine for you over Wi-Fi then there's no compelling reason to switch. It's when the Wi-Fi cuts out or you install a NAS or you start playing games online that you'll want to think about a wired connection.

1 minute ago, Windows7ge said:

There's 3 reasons to run a wire:

1. Reliability
  2. Bandwidth
  3. Lower Ping

If everything is working fine for you over Wi-Fi then there's no compelling reason to switch. It's when the Wi-Fi cuts out or you install a NAS or you start playing games online that you'll want to think about a wired connection.

My gaming pc is wired. I switched out my bedroom pc for a laptop. I am just using chrome. My old isp had 20ms ping and 50mbps. I do have coax now though so might try those adapters even though it's not particularly difficult to run the cable. I also have a 100 foot cable so i can pretty much put the AP anywhere I would want or even use moca to put the AP somewhere else. But, so far so good. 

2 minutes ago, mamamia88 said:

My gaming pc is wired. I switched out my bedroom pc for a laptop. I am just using chrome. My old isp had 20ms ping and 50mbps. I do have coax now though so might try those adapters even though it's not particularly difficult to run the cable. I also have a 100 foot cable so i can pretty much put the AP anywhere I would want or even use moca to put the AP somewhere else. But, so far so good. 

You could try a very temporary arrangement where-in you run the cable directly to the laptop for a day and go about your daily tasks. If you see no noticeable benefits over the Wi-Fi connection stick with Wi-Fi.

Reliability aside 5.0GHz Wi-Fi actually has a ping that's surprisingly close to a wired connection (in relation to 2.4GHz). Even latency sensitive applications shouldn't be impacted too much so long as the signal is stable.