i7-4790k to a Ryzen 3700x, upgrade or wait?

I'm currently running:
i7-4790k in a Asrock Fatal1ty Z97 Killer Motherboard (Not overclocking)
16GB DDR3 1600MHz RAM
GTX 1080
HDD boot drive

So i have this configuration since 2015 (except the 1080 i got in the following year), it was my first build and i didn't know much about hardware back then, but now i'm looking to upgrade.
I can't say i'm unhappy with my current rig, i'm actually pretty proud of it. Runs all my games pretty well, but it's kinda showing its age in some aspects.
For my next rig configuration i'm looking for the Following

Ryzen 7 3700x in a Mini ITX Gigabyte X570 Aorus (Sentry 2.0 case)
32GB DDR4 2400MHz
GTX 1080 (Keeping it for now, but maybe i will upgrade depending on the next gen)
1TB M.2 PCIe boot drive

However... I'm not feeling very sure about the CPU updrade, since my PC is doing well i sure can wait, but i'm itching to upgrade, but i want to get the best 65W 8/16 CPU possible to justify the upgrade, but i'm not sure if wait almost another year for it's release is worth the way...
Sorry if i'm making it confuse, but i would like opinions.
Should i upgrade my i7-4790k for a 3700x now, or wait for the next interation in the Ryzen lineup?

The 4790k is still competent. Especially with only a GTX 1080.

These results are with a 2080 ti, which you don't have. Differences will be much less pronounced in your case with the 1080.

Overclock. You have nothing to lose and a lot to gain.

Before you reply to my post, REFRESH. 99.99% chance I edited my post. 

My System: i7-13700KF // Corsair iCUE H150i Elite Capellix // MSI MPG Z690 Edge Wifi // 32GB DDR5 G. SKILL RIPJAWS S5 6000 CL32 // Nvidia RTX 4070 Super FE // Corsair 5000D Airflow // Corsair SP120 RGB Pro x7 // Seasonic Focus Plus Gold 850w //1TB ADATA XPG SX8200 Pro/1TB Teamgroup MP33/2TB Seagate 7200RPM Hard Drive // Displays: LG Ultragear 32GP83B x2 // Royal Kludge RK100 // Logitech G Pro X Superlight // Sennheiser DROP PC38x

4 minutes ago, Mister Woof said:

Overclock. You have nothing to lose and a lot to gain.

Holly Crap, how did i miss this video!?
Thanks, i will take a look

At this point in time waiting is probably the best choice. Historically, ryzen CPUs start to quickly go down in price in the first half of the year. I would at least wait until CES is over.

6 minutes ago, Leandro B said:

Holly Crap, how did i miss this video!?
Thanks, i will take a look

Make no mistake, newer games will still benefit from more resources, and almost all CPU upgrade options will benefit your frametimes, but the 4790k is still decent enough.

If you can hold out until maybe June next year, which I think you can, the 4th generation Ryzen chips look insane.

My System: i7-13700KF // Corsair iCUE H150i Elite Capellix // MSI MPG Z690 Edge Wifi // 32GB DDR5 G. SKILL RIPJAWS S5 6000 CL32 // Nvidia RTX 4070 Super FE // Corsair 5000D Airflow // Corsair SP120 RGB Pro x7 // Seasonic Focus Plus Gold 850w //1TB ADATA XPG SX8200 Pro/1TB Teamgroup MP33/2TB Seagate 7200RPM Hard Drive // Displays: LG Ultragear 32GP83B x2 // Royal Kludge RK100 // Logitech G Pro X Superlight // Sennheiser DROP PC38x

11 minutes ago, Mister Woof said:

Make no mistake, newer games will still benefit from more resources, and almost all CPU upgrade options will benefit your frametimes, but the 4790k is still decent enough.

If you can hold out until maybe June next year, which I think you can, the 4th generation Ryzen chips look insane.

I'm thinking the same as this... (my 4790K/MSI z97 Gaming7/GTX1070 primary system)

OP - You could try your hand at RAM overclocking to bring up some minimumFPS values (when the CPU is 50%+ in heavier titles you may run)
1866-2133Mhz might be on the table,..even with slightly loose timings,.. it'll still marry up a bit better overall if not too loose for the typical values of that speed your chasing.

I was pleasantly surprised (esp across 4 dimms) my 1866Mhz (933Mhz) does 2200Mhz (1100Mhz), CL 11 12 11 36 from CL 10 11 10 30.

Annotation 2020-01-06 132408.jpg

Annotation 2020-01-06 132510.jpg

Maximums - Asus Z97-K /w i5 4690 Bclk @106.9Mhz * x39 = 4.17Ghz, 8GB of 2600Mhz DDR3,.. Gigabyte GTX970 G1-Gaming @ 1550Mhz

If you have a use case for a new PC then get it now.  I myself just upgraded from a 3570K to a 3700x and if rumours of Ryzen 3 CPUs at the end of the year are true I'm upgrading again!

QUOTE ME IN A REPLY SO I CAN SEE THE NOTIFICATION!

When there is no danger of failure there is no pleasure in success.

4 minutes ago, Samfisher said:

If you have a use case for a new PC then get it now.  I myself just upgraded from a 3570K to a 3700x and if rumours of Ryzen 3 CPUs at the end of the year are true I'm upgrading again!

Thats the thing, those rumors are killing me.
I want to upgrade bad at this point, but teh 3700x ain't exactly cheap right now, and if i can buy a way better CPU for more or less the same price, maybe i should wait? 

I did this exact same upgrade to a 3700x. I did it mainly for productivity reasons and there has been a noticeable improvement in multithreaded workloads like that. There has also been a gaming improvement, but nothing to really brag about. I would say the gaming improvement alone is not worth a complete system rebuild

The Daily Driver:
AMD Ryzen 7 3700x  |  EVGA GTX 1070 SC  |  48GB Crucial Ballistix Elite DDR4-3600  | Corsair 750D Case
AsRock X570 Pro 4 mobo

iRacing Sim Rig:

i5-10600k @ 5.0 GHz  |  EVGA GTX 1080ti Hybrid  | 32GB G.Skill Trident Z Neo DDR4-3600  |  Corsair Air 540 Case
ASUS Z490-E ROG Strix mobo

1 minute ago, Leandro B said:

Thats the thing, those rumors are killing me.
I want to upgrade bad at this point, but teh 3700x ain't exactly cheap right now, and if i can buy a way better CPU for more or less the same price, maybe i should wait? 

What is your use case for the new system?  If it's just gaming then a 3600 non-X would still do you good.  If you do wait for the next Ryzen, the price would still be about the same though, unless all you're doing is waiting for the 4 series to get the 3 series at a much lower price.

27 minutes ago, Mister Woof said:

I watched Gamer's Nexus video and it pretty much told me what we kinda already knew... Upgrade make sense, but it's not like a life changing upgrade...
But yeah, there are a few games that would totaly benefit from the upgrade.

5 minutes ago, vukos said:

I did this exact same upgrade to a 3700x. I did it mainly for productivity reasons and there has been a noticeable improvement in multithreaded workloads like that. There has also been a gaming improvement, but nothing to really brag about. I would say the gaming improvement alone is not worth a complete system rebuild

I see. Yeah, i guess thats what i'm afraid off.

2 minutes ago, Samfisher said:

What is your use case for the new system?  If it's just gaming then a 3600 non-X would still do you good.  If you do wait for the next Ryzen, the price would still be about the same though, unless all you're doing is waiting for the 4 series to get the 3 series at a much lower price.

4th gen ryzen will probably be the first AMD chips in a LONG time that will beat Intel at gaming, though.

Currently they're still not there. But close.

4th gen seems to be an all around ass whooping

Just now, Mister Woof said:

4th gen ryzen will probably be the first AMD chips in a LONG time that will beat Intel at gaming, though.

Currently they're still not there. But close.

Clock for clock AMD is already ahead, they're just behind on actual clock speeds.  And that's the new stuff, not Haswell like the OP.

5 minutes ago, Samfisher said:

It mainly gaming, althought it can really slowdown sometimes if i'm multitasking and downloading torrent quite a lot, which really surprised me.

1 minute ago, Leandro B said:

It mainly gaming, althought it can really slowdown sometimes if i'm multitasking and downloading torrent quite a lot, which really surprised me.

Torrents read and write a lot of data, so that wouldn't surprise me.  I was fine with my 3570k for most games too, but wanted to have a system that wasn't so CPU bottlenecked in games like Witcher 3, GTA V, Skyrim etc so I took the plunge.  Didn't hurt there were retailers doing CPU + Mobo combos for a decent chunk cheaper than buying them individually.

5 minutes ago, Samfisher said:

Clock for clock AMD is already ahead, they're just behind on actual clock speeds.  And that's the new stuff, not Haswell like the OP.

They're behind in latency, too, which explains why even though single threaded performance is equal between 3000 and highly clocked Intel chips, the 3000s are slightly behind in GPU unlimited gaming scenarios.

4th gen appears to be fixing this latency issue on top of more IPC, so it will be pretty much a smack down for Intel.

Were it me, with this known on the horizon and my current system was still "good enough", I'd wait for the most noticeable gains.

Just now, Mister Woof said:

They're behind in latency, too, which explains why even though single threaded performance is equal between 3000 and highly clocked Intel chips, the 3000s are slightly behind in GPU unlimited gaming scenarios.

4ty gen appears to be fixing this latency issue on top of more IPC.

Were it me, with this known on the horizon and my current system was still "good enough", I'd wait for the most noticeable gains.

Oh definitely.  Latency alone would have made AMD quite a bit ahead of Intel at this point.  But I could afford it, and I don't think I would've made it through the year on my 3570k which I expect to struggle mightily with Cyberpunk 2077, plus I emulate android a lot for mobile games.  It's nice being able to run everything and still stream at reasonably high settings with no issues.

6 minutes ago, Samfisher said:

Torrents read and write a lot of data, so that wouldn't surprise me.  I was fine with my 3570k for most games too, but wanted to have a system that wasn't so CPU bottlenecked in games like Witcher 3, GTA V, Skyrim etc so I took the plunge.  Didn't hurt there were retailers doing CPU + Mobo combos for a decent chunk cheaper than buying them individually.

I'm really looking forward Cyberpunk 2077... I wonder how much my GTX 1080 will be screaming with a new CPU.

Just now, Leandro B said:

I'm really looking forward Cyberpunk 2077... I wonder how much my GTX 1080 will be screaming with a new CPU.

I doubt my 1070 would be enough for more than 60fps as it is, it barely does Witcher 3 at 60 fps 1440p with a decent amount of texture and graphic mods.

Just now, Leandro B said:

That game will probably max out a 1080 at 1080p high. CPU might be an issue, but if it's anything like Witcher 3 then GPU might be more beneficial.

So I don't think they will go below 7 nm tech. Might add more pci e lanes to support duel 16x pci e and or give higher boost speeds to the next gen. But could be wrong!!!

could have faster single core speed than Intel and make amd the fastest cpu's on the market hard to say really 

I bought 2nd gen system few months before 3rd gen came out and was a big bump in tech but if you choose to build now I would go with this setup if you want to go lowest cost with Zero bottle necks in your system the ram you picked would have bottled necked your cpu so unless its free..... The m.2 ssd is one of the top fastest benched m.2 drives 

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3800X 3.9 GHz 8-Core Processor  ($373.43 @ Amazon) 
Motherboard: Asus PRIME X570-P ATX AM4 Motherboard  ($149.99 @ B&H) 
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws V 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3600 Memory  ($78.99 @ Newegg) 
Storage: HP EX920 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive  ($117.93 @ Amazon) 
Total: $720.34
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-01-05 22:16 EST-0500

Not much point as already stated,4790k is still a good CPU.

Ryzen 3600 4.33ghz . CM Hyper 212 Turbo. MSI X470 Gaming Plus Max. Crucial Ballistix Sport LT 3200 @ 3200 CL 15 (OC). Powercolor RX 5700XT Red Dragon. FD Meshify S2. Crucial P1 M.2 1TB. Corsair Vengeance 650W 80+ Silver.

Core 2 Duo 3.4ghz . WenjuFeng cooler . ASUS P5G41C-M LX . Crucial 1066mhz 3GB DDR2 . Gainward Golden Sample HD 4850 . Coolermaster Elite 430 . Seagate 160GB IDE 7200RPM . BeQuiet System Power 9 400w 80+ Bronze

i went from a 4790k paired with a gtx1080 to ryzen 3600 and i would personally say its worth it, but the 4790k is a great cpu.