No WI-FI signal in my room

abernalmac

I've always had the home router in my room, since that's where the main computer is, but last week we decided to get cable TV to watch soccer and the installers said the router had to be moved to the living room. So now it's great because I can watch my favourite team and there's a stronger connection throughout the house, but signal in my room is really weak. I have an ethernet cable run all the way from the router to the main pc in my room and I've been using it as a hotspot from time to time, but it's not a practical solution. I was wondering how could I use the ethernet cable to create a permanent WI-FI network and still have an ethernet cable plugged into the computer for the fastest download speeds (I don't want to connect the main pc to the new WI-FI network).

You'll want to look into powerline adapters. They run about $40-60 for a pair. Make sure you get one that can handle the speeds of your network connection. E.g. 1200Mbps+ for Gigabit

PLEASE QUOTE ME IF YOU ARE REPLYING TO ME

Desktop Build: Ryzen 7 2700X @ 4.0GHz, AsRock Fatal1ty X370 Professional Gaming, 48GB Corsair DDR4 @ 3000MHz, RX5700 XT 8GB Sapphire Nitro+, Benq XL2730 1440p 144Hz FS

Retro Build: Intel Pentium III @ 500 MHz, Dell Optiplex G1 Full AT Tower, 768MB SDRAM @ 133MHz, Integrated Graphics, Generic 1024x768 60Hz Monitor

1 hour ago, abernalmac said:

I've always had the home router in my room, since that's where the main computer is, but last week we decided to get cable TV to watch soccer and the installers said the router had to be moved to the living room. So now it's great because I can watch my favourite team and there's a stronger connection throughout the house, but signal in my room is really weak. I have an ethernet cable run all the way from the router to the main pc in my room and I've been using it as a hotspot from time to time, but it's not a practical solution. I was wondering how could I use the ethernet cable to create a permanent WI-FI network and still have an ethernet cable plugged into the computer for the fastest download speeds (I don't want to connect the main pc to the new WI-FI network).

If you have Ethernet ran. My suggestion would be a switch and AP. The switch will allow you to connect multiple devices to your Ethernet cable. The AP will broadcast a WiFi signal. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

31 minutes ago, Donut417 said:

If you have Ethernet ran. My suggestion would be a switch and AP. The switch will allow you to connect multiple devices to your Ethernet cable. The AP will broadcast a WiFi signal. 

Yes, I have it. I'm thinking what rcmaehl suggested was in order to get the connection without actually running a cable am I right?

Also thanks for the advice will check it out.

5 hours ago, abernalmac said:

Yes, I have it. I'm thinking what rcmaehl suggested was in order to get the connection without actually running a cable am I right?

Also thanks for the advice will check it out.

Power line is hit or miss. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn.