Computer restarts after starting game

RyanPigbelt
10 minutes ago, SpookyCitrus said:

First of all stop trying to turn it on and use it!

For future reference if you have the desk space, keeping the PC on it is much better than on the floor, not only for dust and airflow but to prevent things like this from happening.

As for your issue the best thing is/would've been to take the computer apart, clean, and let dry for a few DAYS not hours or minutes. I deal with this a lot in my line of work (Computer Technician) on a daily basis. Spilled coffee or soda on laptops and desktops is one of the more common accidents that happen. You said you heard an electric crackle when turning it back on for the first time, that's not good... more than likely something that was still wet bridged two circuits together and fried something. The GPU in a desktop that has had something spilled into it is usually worse off than any component, I would take it out and if it has one remove the back plate, clean with swabs and isopropyl alcohol and if you know how, remove the cooler and check the entire PCB for black or burned contacts and any other coffee residue, leave apart and let dry after cleaning for AT LEAST 24 hours, re-paste and re-assemble it, if possible test in another computer, if it has any issues send it in for RMA saying that it just doesn't work, if there is any signs of liquid damage or coffee on it then it will most likely be sent back and not covered under warranty. As for the motherboard do the same thing clean again with isopropyl alcohol and let dry for AT LEAST 24 hours(preferably a few days for both). If again the issue still persists do the same thing remove the CPU, SSD, Ram anything that doesn't come with the motherboard and send it in for RMA(same thing if any liquid damage is noticed, more than likely it will not be covered). If they can be RMA'd great, if they can't buy new ones. Using compromised components especially liquid damaged components is a huge mistake that could cause more to go bad or be killed by electrical damage. 

Also i isolated the electric crackle to the PSU which exploded shortly after, i completely replaced that part with a new one

3 minutes ago, RyanPigbelt said:

Yeah i cleaned the GPU inside and out like i said i took that thing apart and had to repaste it and everything. The coffee spill was early yesterday so its been over 24 hours if that helps, I remember there being some coffee that got between the ram slots and it was really hard to reach.

do you know if there are any exposed electrical components between ram slots that could potentially get damaged by liquid on the Z97-a ?

I'm going to test a game right after this post, but my computer appears to be lasting a whole lot longer now that i only have one ram stick in, and in a different slot

Like I said before, it doesn't matter how long it's been since the spill, it matters how long you let the parts dry after cleaning. If you just cleaned them then an hour or less later put them back in and fired it up that's a major issue. You have to clean the parts thoroughly and then let them dry for AT LEAST 24 hours before even attempting to power them on. Your old PSU crackled and then exploded, who knows if it sent a surge to any of the other components, best thing for you to do is re-clean them and let dry for at least 24 hours, you may have the urge to wait less, but don't, at least 24 hours (preferably a few days), then try again if it still has the issue send the motherboard and GPU in for RMA(if they are still under warranty), if they are thoroughly cleaned and you just say they stopped working more than likely you will get a replacement unit and be on your way. Also with the ram if any liquid even touched them do the same thing if they have a heatsink or cover remove it and check the modules for liquid. The worst possible thing you can do is clean components, then not wait long enough for them to dry before trying to power them on. If I were you I'd take the entire computer apart and inspect every single component, doesn't matter if they didn't have coffee on them or not, check for burns or splash residue from the coffee. Your CPU more than likely be fine unless coffee went under or into the socket and something fried, ram if it wasn't touched should be ok as well, however the motherboard and GPU more than likely will need to be replaced if cleaning doesn't work, either through RMA or purchasing new ones.

Main Desktop: CPU - i9-14900k | Mobo - Gigabyte Z690 Aorus Elite AX DDR4 | GPU - ASUS TUF Gaming OC RTX 4090 RAM - Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB 64GB 3600mhz | AIO - H150i Pro XT | PSU - Corsair RM1000X | Case - Phanteks P500A Digital - White | Storage - Samsung 970 Pro M.2 NVME SSD 512GB / Sabrent Rocket 1TB Nvme / Samsung 860 Evo Pro 500GB / Samsung 970 EVO Plus 2tb Nvme / Samsung 870 QVO 4TB  |

TV Streaming PC: Intel Nuc CPU - i7 8th Gen | RAM - 16GB DDR4 2666mhz | Storage - 256GB WD Black M.2 NVME SSD |

Phone: Samsung Galaxy Z Fold 4 - Phantom Black 512GB |

Is there any more damage that can be done at this point due to having the system on? Like i said earlier my machine was up and running for like 7 hours yesterday.

29 minutes ago, RyanPigbelt said:

Is there any more damage that can be done at this point due to having the system on? Like i said earlier my machine was up and running for like 7 hours yesterday.

Yes, if it was not properly cleaned and properly dried(which from what you've said it wasn't) then there more than likely is still moisture on the board or GPU. As long as the computer is cleaned and then dried properly it should work with no issues, I know people who have washed their motherboard in the dishwasher(no soap or heat of course) and as long as they let it dry properly for a few days it works as if nothing has happened. You get issues when you rush it and don't clean or let it dry properly and turn it on and have stuff short out and fry. As I have already said you will want to take apart the computer again and re-clean your components letting them dry properly this time. You may still have issues as we don't know if your PSU exploding/shorting out caused any damage to any of the other components. I do this professionally, I fix several computers a day and have dealt with my fair share of liquid damage, and the best thing you can do for your system right now is stop using it, power it off, take it apart and re-clean the areas with liquid spillage, then let them dry for a couple days(24 hours at the least), and then if the parts still have issues RMA them. Besides buying completely new parts that's your only option.

Main Desktop: CPU - i9-14900k | Mobo - Gigabyte Z690 Aorus Elite AX DDR4 | GPU - ASUS TUF Gaming OC RTX 4090 RAM - Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB 64GB 3600mhz | AIO - H150i Pro XT | PSU - Corsair RM1000X | Case - Phanteks P500A Digital - White | Storage - Samsung 970 Pro M.2 NVME SSD 512GB / Sabrent Rocket 1TB Nvme / Samsung 860 Evo Pro 500GB / Samsung 970 EVO Plus 2tb Nvme / Samsung 870 QVO 4TB  |

TV Streaming PC: Intel Nuc CPU - i7 8th Gen | RAM - 16GB DDR4 2666mhz | Storage - 256GB WD Black M.2 NVME SSD |

I'm confused why would i have to wait 24 hours again if im cleaning with isopropyl alcohol, isopropyl alcohol evaporates in seconds

8 minutes ago, RyanPigbelt said:

I'm confused why would i have to wait 24 hours again if im cleaning with isopropyl alcohol, isopropyl alcohol evaporates in seconds

Because you may still have traces of moisture stuck where you cant get to it like under resistors & caps etc....

In future the best thing you can do when you have something electronic is switch it off straight away, clean off the contaminant liquids with alcohol or water, and leave it to dry for at least 24 hours before switching it back on. 

As for the current problem. 

If you've been using XMP on your RAM, default it to stock speed. 

Go over your motherboard with a bright light and check for any burn marks. Also check the capacitors and make sure none have bulged or are leaking. 

Hard to say what the problem is but considering you've tried a different GPU, tried removing RAM and got a new PSU, I can only assume its the motherboard. 

Spoiler

Desktop: Ryzen9 5950X | ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Hero (Wifi) | EVGA RTX 3080Ti FTW3 | 32GB (2x16GB) Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB Pro 3600Mhz | EKWB EK-AIO 360D-RGB | EKWB EK-Vardar RGB Fans | 1TB Samsung 980 Pro, 4TB Samsung 980 Pro | Corsair 5000D Airflow | Corsair HX850 Platinum PSU | Asus ROG 42" OLED PG42UQ + LG 32" 32GK850G Monitor | Roccat Vulcan TKL Pro Keyboard | Logitech G Pro X Superlight  | MicroLab Solo 7C Speakers | Audio-Technica ATH-M50xBT2 LE Headphones | TC-Helicon GoXLR | Audio-Technica AT2035 | LTT Desk Mat | XBOX-X Controller | Windows 11 Pro

Spoiler

Server: Fractal Design Define R6 | Ryzen 3950x | ASRock X570 Taichi | EVGA GTX1070 FTW | 64GB (4x16GB) Corsair Vengeance LPX 3000Mhz | Corsair RM850v2 PSU | Fractal S36 Triple AIO + 4 Additional Venturi 120mm Fans | 14 x 20TB Seagate Exos X22 20TB | 500GB Aorus Gen4 NVMe | 2 x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo Plus NVMe | LSI 9211-8i HBA

Okay so here is what we learned so far:

When i plugged in my 750TI my PC would restart as soon as i got to login

It does not do this when my 1080 is in, my 1080 was in during the spill my 750ti was not

For a while when i had 1 ram stick in the last ram position, my pc would restart randomly in no correlation to a game and it would usually happen at around the 10-20 minute mark.

Now that i have another ram stick in the 3rd ram position, my pc does not restart randomly in no correlation to a game. But when i do start games it does restart randomly.

All temperatures appear to be fine according to HWINFO

When i had all my ram sticks in, all 16 GB were seen by the computer, so they are at least found by the motherboard or whatever

Does this sound like a motherboard issue to you, or does it sound like something else. To me it doesn't seem like it has very much to do with the graphics card because when i switch graphics cards the problems gets worse for some reason.

It could have some correlation to the ram tho, my guess is it has something to do with the ram slots and not the ram sticks themselves.

pls let me know i'm working on time constraints and i need access to my PC as soon as possible. I am willing to buy a new motherboard/gfx card rn if that is the issue i just need to know which one or both.

12 minutes ago, RyanPigbelt said:

Because you spilled coffee in your PC, there will be minor amounts of moisture all over the spilled on areas, it doesn't matter how long it takes isopropyl to dry, anytime liquid is spilled on electrical components it needs to dry and dry thoroughly. I don't see how this is so hard to understand.

1 minute ago, RyanPigbelt said:

pls let me know i'm working on time constraints and i need access to my PC as soon as possible. I am willing to buy a new motherboard/gfx card rn if that is the issue i just need to know which one or both.

You spilled coffee in your PC and prematurely started it, your old PSU fried and exploded possibly damaging other components, this isn't a quick fix, if you need it fixed ASAP buy new parts. Like I said earlier if the GPU is properly cleaned and dried( make absolutely sure it is clean and dry) test it in another computer and see if the issue happens in that machine too. If the GPU works in a separate machine just fine then it's more than likely good to go, as for your motherboard that is the one that may have the most damage whether from the liquid itself or the PSU frying, honestly if you don't have a couple days to let it dry, then just buy a new one.

5 minutes ago, SpookyCitrus said:

You spilled coffee in your PC and prematurely started it, your old PSU fried and exploded possibly damaging other components, this isn't a quick fix, if you need it fixed ASAP buy new parts. Like I said earlier if the GPU is properly cleaned and dried( make absolutely sure it is clean and dry) test it in another computer and see if the issue happens in that machine too. If the GPU works in a separate machine just fine then it's more than likely good to go, as for your motherboard that is the one that may have the most damage whether from the liquid itself or the PSU frying, honestly if you don't have a couple days to let it dry, then just buy a new one.

yeah i dont have time im going to go balls deep and buy a new motherboard. Thank you so much for your time and sorry if i frustrated you with my questions

26 minutes ago, RyanPigbelt said:

yeah i dont have time im going to go balls deep and buy a new motherboard. Thank you so much for your time and sorry if i frustrated you with my questions

It was no problem at all. Hope it works out for you.

Thanks man, hey would you recommend any motherboards that are compatible with my current setup. It would need to be LG1150 and DDR3 compatible 

1 hour ago, RyanPigbelt said:

Okay so here is what we learned so far:

When i plugged in my 750TI my PC would restart as soon as i got to login

It does not do this when my 1080 is in, my 1080 was in during the spill my 750ti was not

For a while when i had 1 ram stick in the last ram position, my pc would restart randomly in no correlation to a game and it would usually happen at around the 10-20 minute mark.

Now that i have another ram stick in the 3rd ram position, my pc does not restart randomly in no correlation to a game. But when i do start games it does restart randomly.

All temperatures appear to be fine according to HWINFO

When i had all my ram sticks in, all 16 GB were seen by the computer, so they are at least found by the motherboard or whatever

Does this sound like a motherboard issue to you, or does it sound like something else. To me it doesn't seem like it has very much to do with the graphics card because when i switch graphics cards the problems gets worse for some reason.

It could have some correlation to the ram tho, my guess is it has something to do with the ram slots and not the ram sticks themselves.

Flaky ram slots and pci-e slots is making it sound like possibly a CPU issue. Did any moisture get near the CPU? Possibly seeped under it and is shorting pins? 

9 minutes ago, Blue4130 said:

Flaky ram slots and pci-e slots is making it sound like possibly a CPU issue. Did any moisture get near the CPU? Possibly seeped under it and is shorting pins? 

I'm not quite sure, are there any tell-tale signs i can look for that could possibly indicate that this is this issue