Is there way to interchange a laptop's internal keyboard?

NoobBoi
Go to solution Solved by it_dont_work,
Just now, NoobBoi said:

Not unless you wish it to fit, almost all laptop keyboards are hooked up through a usb interface via a ribbon cable. 

if its not specifically designed to fit that model, it wont. Yes you could hook up anything to to use interface (usually a 2mm high flat long ribbon connector) and hack something in, but there's usually also power or proprietary buttons through the same connector, so you'd need to find the [pin out. 

So for example, put a HP DV series keyboard in another DV series (eg some had backlighting) sure. Put a laptop keyboard from a dell into a HP, not easiy and it'll look like shit without some case modding 

5 minutes ago, Bitter said:

replace a defective one or change to a different kind of key/key cap?

I mean the entire internal keyboard

5 minutes ago, NoobBoi said:

Yes with the same unit it was designed to fit, or with one from the same laptop platform. 

Silent build - You know your pc is too loud when the deaf complain. Windows 98 gaming build, smells like beige

8 minutes ago, NoobBoi said:

accidentally the whole thing?

2 minutes ago, it_dont_work said:

Yes with the same unit it was designed to fit, or with one from the same laptop platform. 

how about a different unit's keyboard on a another different unit?

Just now, Bitter said:

accidentally the whole thing?

What are you talking about, lol?

Just now, NoobBoi said:

What are you talking about, lol?

Same thing you are, of course.

So you're asking if you can put a keyboard designed for a different laptop into a laptop it's not designed to fit into? Think about this for a minute.

Could you? Well I guess it depends on your definition of 'fit' and 'laptop', because while it may connect and type if it uses the same internal ribbon cable layout and size, it probably won't actually fit into the chassis and allow the lid to close.

Just now, NoobBoi said:

Not unless you wish it to fit, almost all laptop keyboards are hooked up through a usb interface via a ribbon cable. 

if its not specifically designed to fit that model, it wont. Yes you could hook up anything to to use interface (usually a 2mm high flat long ribbon connector) and hack something in, but there's usually also power or proprietary buttons through the same connector, so you'd need to find the [pin out. 

So for example, put a HP DV series keyboard in another DV series (eg some had backlighting) sure. Put a laptop keyboard from a dell into a HP, not easiy and it'll look like shit without some case modding 

Silent build - You know your pc is too loud when the deaf complain. Windows 98 gaming build, smells like beige

2 minutes ago, Bitter said:

Same thing you are, of course.

So you're asking if you can put a keyboard designed for a different laptop into a laptop it's not designed to fit into? Think about this for a minute.

Could you? Well I guess it depends on your definition of 'fit' and 'laptop', because while it may connect and type if it uses the same internal ribbon cable layout and size, it probably won't actually fit into the chassis and allow the lid to close.

I'll probably use a dremel for fitting it. 

1 minute ago, NoobBoi said:

I'll probably use a dremel for fitting it. 

Go nuts, seems like a stupid idea, but then again I used to race a 400hp front wheel drive in the 90's which was pretty stupid to.