The Day We Fight Back (Resisting NSA Oppression)

Brainiac777

Hello guys, https://thedaywefightback.org/ is holding a campaign against the NSA's invasion of privacy and they want you to press Congress with emails and phone calls opposing FISA Improvements Act and support the USA Freedom Act on February 11. Here is what is on their website:

FEBRUARY 11TH 2014 IS The Day We Fight Back AGAINST MASS SURVEILLANCE

DEAR USERS OF THE INTERNET,  

In January 2012 we defeated the SOPA and PIPA censorship legislation with the largest Internet protest in history. Today we face another critical threat, one that again undermines the Internet and the notion that any of us live in a genuinely free society: mass surveillance.

In celebration of the win against SOPA and PIPA two years ago, and in memory of one of its leaders, Aaron Swartz, we are planning a day of protest against mass surveillance, to take place this February 11th.

Together we will push back against powers that seek to observe, collect, and analyze our every digital action. Together, we will make it clear that such behavior is not compatible with democratic governance. Together, if we persist, we will win this fight.

WHAT WE'LL DO ON FEBRUARY 11th:  

If you're in the US: Thousands of websites will host banners urging people to call/email Congress. We'll ask legislators to oppose theFISA Improvements Act, support the USA Freedom Act, and enact protections for non-Americans.

If you're not in the US: Visitors will be asked to urge appropriate targets to institute privacy protections.

TAKE PART: THIS IS YOUR MOMENT

Sorry for the bad copy and paste.

It's all great and wonderful to have petitions demanding change and such. But do you honestly think it will change anything?
They might apologize publicly if you're lucky. Will they stop? No.
They'll just make sure they don't get caught.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

I'm gonna do it and hope. I freaking hate the NSA. :angry:

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (9TB partition for general storage + 2TB partition for dumping ground), 4x 8TB WD White Label/Red (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Sleeper HP Pavilion A6137C

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

OptiPlex 7040M

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700, 2x16GB Mushkin Redline (stuck at 2133MHz CL13), 240GB Corsair MP510, 130w Dell power brick, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Apple M1, 8GB RAM, 256GB, macOS Sonoma

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)

It's all great and wonderful to have petitions demanding change and such. But do you honestly think it will change anything?

Are you saying we should just not try? Becuase that definitely would change a thing.

Here is a list of common fallacies. Which ones have you used today?

Are you saying we should just not try? Becuase that definitely would change a thing.

Absolutely true.

It may limit them slightly. But really now that it's all public and people are pointing out where they've been caught spying they'll change their ways in those areas and return to the clandestine ways they're used to.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

Spoiler

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

Spoiler

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

This is true they still haven't admitted to looking in on us. They claim they only see the call to who and fro and can't listen in. Its complete BS

This will change nothing

-The Bellerophon- Obsidian 550D-i5-3570k@4.5Ghz -Asus Sabertooth Z77-16GB Corsair Dominator Platinum 1866Mhz-x2 EVGA GTX 760 Dual FTW 4GB-Creative Sound Blaster XF-i Titanium-OCZ Vertex Plus 120GB-Seagate Barracuda 2TB- https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/60154-the-not-really-a-build-log-build-log/ Twofold http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/121043-twofold-a-dual-itx-system/ How great is EVGA? http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/110662-evga-how-great-are-they/#entry1478299

Just need to nuke the fucking place already tbh

"I see now that the circumstances of one's birth are irrelevant. It is what you do with the gift of life that determines who you are."

-Mewtwo

Hey anti-christ-a, beelzeboss!, we know your weakness! our rock is saaauce!, we rock the casbah!, and blow your mind, WE WILL DEFEAT YOU, FOR ALL MANKIND, you hold se scepter, we hold THE KEY, you are the DEVIL, WE ARE THE D!

Normally I'd agree, but I have signed dozens of petitions that have actually changed things.  But it will be more difficult for something related to the government for sure. We just keep pushing and being pissed off and things will happen. Either they stop or we force them to stop.

|  The United Empire of Earth Wants You | The Stormborn (ongoing build; 90% done)  |  Skyrim Mods Recommendations  LTT Blue Forum Theme! | Learning Russian! Blog |
|"They got a war on drugs so the police can bother me.”Tupac Shakur  | "Half of writing history is hiding the truth"Captain Malcolm Reynolds | "Museums are racist."Michelle Obama | "Slap a word like "racist" or "nazi" on it and you'll have an army at your back."MSM Logic | "A new command I give you: love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another"Jesus Christ | "I love the Union and the Constitution, but I would rather leave the Union with the Constitution than remain in the Union without it."Jefferson Davis |

Normally I'd agree, but I have signed dozens of petitions that have actually changed things.  But it will be more difficult for something related to the government for sure. We just keep pushing and being pissed off and things will happen. Either they stop or we force them to stop.

So, riddle me this. How do you think the public will even know what's going on, if they choose to classify it?

You won't.

Yes, petitions are excellent and bring change. So do public protests. In most cases they can bring change and honestly I think people should start more of them.

In this situation, you'll probably get the illusion of winning, and they'll carry on. It's about public perception, not about what's actually going on.

It's funny I was watching the Simpsons Movie the other night. They brought up the NSA spying on people. That movies 6 years old.

You can't force them to stop. That thought is rather hilarious.

Spoiler

Spoiler

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

So, riddle me this. How do you think the public will even know what's going on, if they choose to classify it?

You won't.

Yes, petitions are excellent and bring change. So do public protests. In most cases they can bring change and honestly I think people should start more of them.

In this situation, you'll probably get the illusion of winning, and they'll carry on. It's about public perception, not about what's actually going on.

It's funny I was watching the Simpsons Movie the other night. They brought up the NSA spying on people. That movies 6 years old.

You can't force them to stop. That thought is rather hilarious.

"When bad men combine, the good must associate; else they will fall, one by one, an unpitied sacrifice in a contemptible struggle.".

The public will find out various ways. There is always someone leaking things etc etc, and when they don't, obviously there isn't anything we can do. But when we see injustice, we must act. It doesn't matter if they will just set up another problem—we fight it. No matter how many times it pops up, we fight it.

We can't force them? Clearly you underestimate people's power and their impatience with things they don't like. We have forced our oppressors countless times before. You thinking we can't is hilarious. That kind of thing, your* inaction, causes other people to suffer and breaks down our rights.

*plural

|  The United Empire of Earth Wants You | The Stormborn (ongoing build; 90% done)  |  Skyrim Mods Recommendations  LTT Blue Forum Theme! | Learning Russian! Blog |
|"They got a war on drugs so the police can bother me.”Tupac Shakur  | "Half of writing history is hiding the truth"Captain Malcolm Reynolds | "Museums are racist."Michelle Obama | "Slap a word like "racist" or "nazi" on it and you'll have an army at your back."MSM Logic | "A new command I give you: love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another"Jesus Christ | "I love the Union and the Constitution, but I would rather leave the Union with the Constitution than remain in the Union without it."Jefferson Davis |

"When bad men combine, the good must associate; else they will fall, one by one, an unpitied sacrifice in a contemptible struggle.".

The public will find out various ways. There is always someone leaking things etc etc, and when they don't, obviously there isn't anything we can do. But when we see injustice, we must act. It doesn't matter if they will just set up another problem—we fight it. No matter how many times it pops up, we fight it.

We can't force them? Clearly you underestimate people's power and their impatience with things they don't like. We have forced our oppressors countless times before. You thinking we can't is hilarious. That kind of thing, your* inaction, causes other people to suffer and breaks down our rights.

*plural

You're aware that the NSA has been spying on US citizens for over 40 years right?

Yes, people protest, laws are passed. Do they stop? Nope. They simply keep doing it until they are caught again, new laws are passed, and they either find new loopholes or just ignore them.

I don't think it's wrong to protest and sign petitions, I do think it's wrong to expect any real substantial change to come from them.

All countries "spy" on their citizens to some degree. Terrorism is as domestic as it is international.

Spoiler

Spoiler

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

You're aware that the NSA has been spying on US citizens for over 40 years right?

Yes, people protest, laws are passed. Do they stop? Nope. They simply keep doing it until they are caught again, new laws are passed, and they either find new loopholes or just ignore them.

I don't think it's wrong to protest and sign petitions, I do think it's wrong to expect any real substantial change to come from them.

All countries "spy" on their citizens to some degree. Terrorism is as domestic as it is international.

I am aware that it has been going on for a while now and if people weren't labeled as crazy people for believing the government is corrupt and is constantly up to no good, then change could have happened sooner.

And It doesn't matter how long they are doing. Most of that time they had been doing it in secret, with very little details out in the public for people to see. Now we have leaked documents etc etc and people are actually aware of it. Except, apparently a large deal of people are fine with it, which is just lunacy.

As I said; it doesn't matter how many times they repeat themselves. We just have to keep fighting back. And I never said other governments don't spy on their people. I don't care where it is happening at; people must fight back. No matter how many times the fight must be made.

It is not hopeless and real substantial change has happened before.

Why do we even fight back?

they wont stop?

When the end comes NSA will rule the world and they will make people  say:

HEIL NSA, HEIL NSA!

[spoiler= Dream machine (There is also a buildlog)]

Case: Phanteks Enthoo Luxe - CPU: I7 5820k @4.4 ghz 1.225vcore - GPU: 2x Asus GTX 970 Strix edition - Mainboard: Asus X99-S - RAM: HyperX predator 4x4 2133 mhz - HDD: Seagate barracuda 2 TB 7200 rpm - SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 500 GB SSD - PSU: Corsair HX1000i - Case fans: 3x Noctua PPC 140mm - Radiator fans: 3x Noctua PPC 120 mm - CPU cooler: Fractal design Kelvin S36 together with Noctua PPCs - Keyboard: Corsair K70 RGB Cherry gaming keyboard - mouse: Steelseries sensei raw - Headset: Kingston HyperX Cloud Build Log

why cant we just fire the entire government & set up a new one filled with more competent people? Like baboons or something.

why cant we just fire the entire government & set up a new one filled with more competent people? Like baboons or something.

monkey_parliament2.jpg

because "we have a right to elect, not select", and it will just be the same group of assholes who take over once again. Regardless of what political beliefs you have, JFK was the last "real" president we had, he didn't allow himself to be a puppet nearly as much as the recent presidents we have had..... and they killed him.... so yea...

Its strange that the toolbar for the petition popped up on the forum last time I visited this website. But I don't think they are able to control the government with this.

Hello and Welcome to LTT Forum!

If you are a new member, please read the rules located in "Forum News and Info". Thanks!  :)

Linus Tech Tips Forum Code of Conduct           FAQ           Privacy Policy & Legal Disclaimer

You fools! You've attracted their attention now.....It's only a matter of time before this domain is deleted  :ph34r:

CPU Overclocking Database <------- Over 275 submissions, and over 40,000 views!                         

GPU Overclocking Database                                                    

I rather call this "the day pop up blockers won't fucking work at all"

Seriously the campaign against SOPA with some noticeable but non-obtrusive modification to the websites was way better than this damned pop ups. I'm all for political activism but being obnoxious and annoying doesn't makes me want to help your cause.

-------

Current Rig

-------