New PC build help.

Ssmoosh

Hello!

The last time I built a PC was around 7 years ago and since then, a lot has changed. The PC I built I gave to my sister and I started playing console because I couldn't afford to build a better PC. Now that I actually have the funds to build a PC, a lot has changed and I need some help with the build process. 

Budget: $1750.00-2000.00 USD.

Aim: The goal of this PC is for me to run games like COD modern warfare, overwatch, dark souls three, Apex legends, and many other games at the best settings at 200 plus frames a second (depending on if its possible for the game title) while recording and potentially streaming. 

Monitors: I currently only have one monitor and would like to upgrade at some point, but I do not need to for the next couple of months. (The budget does not include a monitor, I will save up for it later.)

Peripherals: I already have one monitor, a lodge tech G502 gaming mouse, and a functional gaming keyboard (I forgot the model.) I do need a windows 10 key. 

I have a general idea of what some parts I want to use, but I don't know what is a necessity now in days for gaming PCs. 

CPU: I do want to use a Intel i-7 9700K.

Motherboard: https://pcpartpicker.com/product/n6gzK8/gigabyte-z390-aorus-ultra-atx-lga1151-motherboard-z390-aorus-ultra  Maybe this motherboard? (gigabyte z390 arorus ultra.) 

GPU: 

RAM:

SSD:

M.2: This is completely new to me, so what is recommended for this? It used to be that you would want a smaller SSD for running the OS off of, but now it seems that you can have literally everything on SSDs since they are a lot cheaper. 

Case: I do go to college so a massive case is not preferred. The last time I built a pc, if I wanted to build a smaller size one it costed a lot more so I had to built a larger one. So keeping the size of the pc in-between medium to small would be great. 

Fans/liquid cooler: Corsair Hydro Series H150i PRO (This one looked good, but idk if it is the best one to use.)

RGB: I am all about lights! So if there is any way to spice up the build without spending a crap ton of money, that would be awesome! But if having no RGB means having a PC that does what I want it to do, than RGB isn't necessary. 

Thanks for the help!

Intel build

The Aorus ultra is pretty extreme, I went with a little more modest a motherboard for more basic gaming focused purposes.

AMD build

Both builds benefit from an extra case fan

https://pcpartpicker.com/product/7tjJ7P/fractal-design-al-12-3-pack-5063-cfm-120mm-fans-fd-fan-pri-al12-3p

Feel free to toss in RGB

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

ATX is quite a bit of a pain to carry around, could just go with mITX

Forget large AIOs with mITX though, there just isnt space for a long radiator. They at best hold long graphics cards. TU150 has a love handle at the top so I picked that. Unfortunately there aren't many RGB air coolers so even Deepcool will have to do, Deepcool case fans there so all fans look the same. No RGB on the memory stick because 1) the air cooler blocks it from view anyway and 2) RGB kits with the same specs cost twice as much. This is a cheap Samsung B-die kit btw

CPU: i7-2600K 4751MHz 1.44V (software) --> 1.47V at the back of the socket Motherboard: Asrock Z77 Extreme4 (BCLK: 103.3MHz) CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 RAM: Adata XPG 2x8GB DDR3 (XMP: 2133MHz 10-11-11-30 CR2, custom: 2203MHz 10-11-10-26 CR1 tRFC:230 tREFI:14000) GPU: Asus GTX 1070 Dual (Super Jetstream vbios, +70(2025-2088MHz)/+400(8.8Gbps)) SSD: Samsung 840 Pro 256GB (main boot drive), Transcend SSD370 128GB PSU: Seasonic X-660 80+ Gold Case: Antec P110 Silent, 5 intakes 1 exhaust Monitor: AOC G2460PF 1080p 144Hz (150Hz max w/ DP, 121Hz max w/ HDMI) TN panel Keyboard: Logitech G610 Orion (Cherry MX Blue) with SteelSeries Apex M260 keycaps Mouse: BenQ Zowie FK1

Model: HP Omen 17 17-an110ca CPU: i7-8750H (0.125V core & cache, 50mV SA undervolt) GPU: GTX 1060 6GB Mobile (+80/+450, 1650MHz~1750MHz 0.78V~0.85V) RAM: 8+8GB DDR4-2400 18-17-17-39 2T Storage: HP EX920 1TB PCIe x4 M.2 SSD + Crucial MX500 1TB 2.5" SATA SSD, 128GB Toshiba PCIe x2 M.2 SSD (KBG30ZMV128G) gone cooking externally, 1TB Seagate 7200RPM 2.5" HDD (ST1000LM049-2GH172) left outside Monitor: 1080p 126Hz IPS G-sync

Desktop benching:

Cinebench R15 Single thread:168 Multi-thread: 833 

SuperPi (v1.5 from Techpowerup, PI value output) 16K: 0.100s 1M: 8.255s 32M: 7m 45.93s

2 minutes ago, Jurrunio said:

ATX is quite a bit of a pain to carry around, could just go with mITX

Forget large AIOs with mITX though, there just isnt space for a long radiator. They at best hold long graphics cards. TU150 has a love handle at the top so I picked that. Unfortunately there aren't many RGB air coolers so even Deepcool will have to do, Deepcool case fans there so all fans look the same. No RGB on the memory stick because 1) the air cooler blocks it from view anyway and 2) RGB kits with the same specs cost twice as much. This is a cheap Samsung B-die kit btw

I like how small the case is! Is there any point on getting a higher end card like a 2080 graphics card if I had the funds? Also would a card like the 2080 fit in this case? 

15 minutes ago, Fasauceome said:

Intel build

The Aorus ultra is pretty extreme, I went with a little more modest a motherboard for more basic gaming focused purposes.

AMD build

Both builds benefit from an extra case fan

https://pcpartpicker.com/product/7tjJ7P/fractal-design-al-12-3-pack-5063-cfm-120mm-fans-fd-fan-pri-al12-3p

Feel free to toss in RGB

You should have done up an ITX build just so that you could recommend the Silverstone Sugo SG13B

CPU: Ryzen 7 3800X GPU: Reference 5700XT (Asus) Motherboard: Asus ROG Strix X470-F RAM: Corsair 32GB Vengeance 3600Mhz PSU: Corsair RM850X White

Cooling: Corsair H115i RGB Storage: 500GB WD SN750 M.2, 4TB Samsung EVO SSD Case: NZXT H500i White

Keyboard: Asus ROG Strix Flare (MX Red) Mouse: Corsair Sabre RGB

Heh. About the same.  I’ve been hanging about trying to learn stuff to prep for doing that.  What I have discovered so far:

AMD v. Intel:

AMD is hot right now because the’ve been getting single core scores as good or nearly as good as Intel while having more threads and costing less money.  OC is viable for Intel, though less so than before, but it’s near pointless on ryzen2. The chips sort of self overclock which is why they’re kind of pointless to hand overclock.  Multithreading has gained value.  My current opinion is that the 8700k and the 9700k are kind of tossup chips because while the 8700k is slower and has fewer cores, it has hyperthreading whereas the 9700k doesn’t.  The most favored CPU atm is the AMD 3600 which is cheaper than both of them and is sort of a not-quite-as-good 8700k for almost a Benjamin less money.  

Consoles:

The new console systems are coming out moderately soon and may or may not really shake things up on the GPU and storage side. They’re slow 8/16 AMD CPUs, which is the basis for the question of the projected possible value of smt/hyperthreading having increased value for gaming.

Motherboards:
Pcie4.0 is just starting to emerge, but isn’t actually good for much yet.  GPUs still can’t saturate much more than half a pcie3.0.

AMD has pcie4.0. Intel doesn’t.

m.2
Speed wise m.2 vs SSD isn’t quite what SSD was vs HD.  Part of the issue is they’re both so fast that they are effectively instant.  Having an nvme only really makes a difference for gigantic files which games don’t really use, so for many instances there’s no noticeable gain at all.  Mostly m.2 is sometimes cheaper.  It may matter a lot though when the consoles come out.  Some new games may actually make use of that speed.  None have so far though.  I’m seeing a lot of builds with an nvme and a big HD for storage much as there was a point when people were buying tiny SSDs for the OS and a HD for everything else.

Lights: 

RGB remains proprietary and the makers are resisting standardization so atm you have to pick a brand.  

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

Just now, Ssmoosh said:

Is there any point on getting a higher end card like a 2080 graphics card if I had the funds?

the performance difference isn't nearly as significant as the price hike tho, I'd steer away from them. Not like RTX features run much better there either.

btw changed the build because the TU150 either holds a 2 slot GPU and 2 120mm case fans, or a 3 slot GPU without case fans. 2.7 slot cards like the Gaming X are in a bad position since their fans are too far away from the case to pull air in directly, but thick enough to block extra case fans

CPU: i7-2600K 4751MHz 1.44V (software) --> 1.47V at the back of the socket Motherboard: Asrock Z77 Extreme4 (BCLK: 103.3MHz) CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 RAM: Adata XPG 2x8GB DDR3 (XMP: 2133MHz 10-11-11-30 CR2, custom: 2203MHz 10-11-10-26 CR1 tRFC:230 tREFI:14000) GPU: Asus GTX 1070 Dual (Super Jetstream vbios, +70(2025-2088MHz)/+400(8.8Gbps)) SSD: Samsung 840 Pro 256GB (main boot drive), Transcend SSD370 128GB PSU: Seasonic X-660 80+ Gold Case: Antec P110 Silent, 5 intakes 1 exhaust Monitor: AOC G2460PF 1080p 144Hz (150Hz max w/ DP, 121Hz max w/ HDMI) TN panel Keyboard: Logitech G610 Orion (Cherry MX Blue) with SteelSeries Apex M260 keycaps Mouse: BenQ Zowie FK1

Model: HP Omen 17 17-an110ca CPU: i7-8750H (0.125V core & cache, 50mV SA undervolt) GPU: GTX 1060 6GB Mobile (+80/+450, 1650MHz~1750MHz 0.78V~0.85V) RAM: 8+8GB DDR4-2400 18-17-17-39 2T Storage: HP EX920 1TB PCIe x4 M.2 SSD + Crucial MX500 1TB 2.5" SATA SSD, 128GB Toshiba PCIe x2 M.2 SSD (KBG30ZMV128G) gone cooking externally, 1TB Seagate 7200RPM 2.5" HDD (ST1000LM049-2GH172) left outside Monitor: 1080p 126Hz IPS G-sync

Desktop benching:

SuperPi (v1.5 from Techpowerup, PI value output) 16K: 0.100s 1M: 8.255s 32M: 7m 45.93s

15 minutes ago, Jurrunio said:

the performance difference isn't nearly as significant as the price hike tho, I'd steer away from them. Not like RTX features run much better there either.

btw changed the build because the TU150 either holds a 2 slot GPU and 2 120mm case fans, or a 3 slot GPU without case fans. 2.7 slot cards like the Gaming X are in a bad position since their fans are too far away from the case to pull air in directly, but thick enough to block extra case fans

Sweet! This looks great! Thanks!

1 hour ago, Jurrunio said:

Another question for you, for what I want to do, would it be better to use a different CPU instead of the intel i7-9700k? 

5 hours ago, Ssmoosh said:

Another question for you, for what I want to do, would it be better to use a different CPU instead of the intel i7-9700k? 

If you use NVENC for streaming/recording, Ryzen 7 3700X/3800X is slower but also cheaper. Overall it's no better nor worse than the 9700k.

Desktop benching:

10 hours ago, Ssmoosh said:

A religious question.  For games?  Now?  No.  For the next year or so?  No.  In the farther future? Possibly eventually maybe.  It all depends how future coders wind up writing games, and how important multithreading winds up being.  Which is why it’s a religious question.  It’s got 8 very fast cores, but it has no multithreading.  Some say no some say maybe.  A 9900k solves any possible issues, but it does it for a lot more money. A 3700k is slower now but might (only might) wind up remaining usable, if not fast, for longer, so you might possibly wind up having to replace it sooner.  Different people are predicting different things.  4/8 is outlasting 4/4.  Is it doing it merely because 4/8 is about 20% faster than 4/4 though?  There is disagreement.  And nothing has happened yet.  Right now, and for the next year at least, it’s faster.  Whether or not after that it will slow down more rapidly than a slower multithreaded chip is attempting to predict the future, which is a famously unreliable thing to do.

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

3 hours ago, Bombastinator said:

A religious question.  For games?  Now?  No.  For the next year or so?  No.  In the farther future? Possibly eventually maybe.  It all depends how future coders wind up writing games, and how important multithreading winds up being.  Which is why it’s a religious question.  It’s got 8 very fast cores, but it has no multithreading.  Some say no some say maybe.  A 9900k solves any possible issues, but it does it for a lot more money. A 3700k is slower now but might (only might) wind up remaining usable, if not fast, for longer, so you might possibly wind up having to replace it sooner.  Different people are predicting different things.  4/8 is outlasting 4/4.  Is it doing it merely because 4/8 is about 20% faster than 4/4 though?  There is disagreement.  And nothing has happened yet.  Right now, and for the next year at least, it’s faster.  Whether or not after that it will slow down more rapidly than a slower multithreaded chip is attempting to predict the future, which is a famously unreliable thing to do.

Thanks for this information! It is really helpful! So should I save up a little bit more for the i9-9900k instead of the i7-9700k?

45 minutes ago, Ssmoosh said:

Thanks for this information! It is really helpful! So should I save up a little bit more for the i9-9900k instead of the i7-9700k?

Well I’m of the opinion personally that thread count is very possibly going to become a serious problem specifically for games when the new consoles hit and games that maximize what they got come out, so my view that even a 3600 could very possibly beat a 9700k long term simply because of multithreading.  The AMD motherboard also has some points, and if I was going Intel I think it’s kind of a tossup between the 8700k and the 9700k myself.  It’s controversial.  A lot of people think this is BS.

I’m not a programmer.  My opinion comes from me owning an old 4/8 cpu that lasted 4 times longer than it was supposed to because it was multithread.  There are others who have exactly the opposite opinion.  Many of them are programmers.  By that same token they have a view that programmers won’t make sloppy code that doesn’t mesh well and requires the multithreading available on the console systems even though they don’t strictly speaking have to.  I personally am not so sure.  Game programming is famous for sloppy work.  If games programmers actually do their jobs right I will be wrong.

A 9900k solves both issues of course. It’s 8/16 so it beats em both whether the thread count thing comes to pass or not. Sort of a “nuke the site from orbit it’s the only way to be sure” kinda view.  Intel is charging a hefty premium though.  Early Intel multithread chips were actually the same as the non multithread ones just with multithreading turned on with a hardware switch. I don’t know if that is still true or not.  If it is, It would mean a 9700k is just a lobotomized 9900k which makes the price premium a bit obnoxious.  If I buy Intel I’ll be buying the 9900k myself. Or a 3700x.  I don’t trust the 12 threads on the 3600 to keep up with the 8/16 on the new consoles either.  That’s me though.  I’m old, I’m not a pro, and I’m a bit of a maverick on this one.  Others will have very very different opinions.  I’m a minority view.

ATM the 3600 for gaming is right near as fast as a 9900k and costs half as much.  They’re quite popular.  It’s more about what may happen than what is happening.

Edited by Bombastinator
Because I like to hear myself talk