Is it worth running ethernet if not gaming?

mamamia88

I really want to run some Ethernet upstairs but, not sure it's worth the expense. All my gaming stuff is downstairs and wired. All I have upstairs are rokus, a couple  laptops, and a desktop that is just used for browsing. I would like to get the full 200 mbps my isp provides but, I should be able to get that over ac wifi right? Is it worth running for non essential stuff? 

If you seriously want to get all 200mbps that you have then you should make sure that you're getting it. I'm fairly certain you can get it over wifi, you just need to make sure your wifi adapter is up to date. If you can't get it with your adapter, regardless of the update, then you can either get a new adapter or get a cat6 Ethernet cable. Essential? No. Useful to get what you're paying for? Yes

As long as you have a good AP you should be able to got those speeds easily over WIFI. 

15 minutes ago, mamamia88 said:

I would like to get the full 200 mbps my isp provides but, I should be able to get that over ac wifi right? Is it worth running for non essential stuff? 

You absolutely can achieve 200mbps over 5GHz wireless AC connectivity. My OnePlus 5T phone gets 330mbps down over 5GHz AC at a distance of about 10-15 ft from the wireless access point. Your computer will require a decent PCIe based wireless card, usually with 3 antenna, in order to attain good speeds, so keep that in mind. Personally, I'd go with a wired connection all day every day for the stability though.

Desktop: KiRaShi-Intel-2022 (i5-12600K, RTX2060) Mobile: OnePlus 5T | Koodo - 75GB Data + Data Rollover for $45/month
Laptop: Dell XPS 15 9560 (the real 15" MacBook Pro that Apple didn't make) Tablet: iPad Mini 5 | Lenovo IdeaPad Duet 10.1
Camera: Canon M6 Mark II | Canon Rebel T1i (500D) | Canon SX280 | Panasonic TS20D Music: Spotify Premium (CIRCA '08)

48 minutes ago, Biomecanoid said:

Nothing beats a wire. It will buy you peace of mind

I went ahead and ordered one from monoprice. Now all I need to do is find my drill charger and a bit. 

1 hour ago, kirashi said:

You absolutely can achieve 200mbps over 5GHz wireless AC connectivity. My OnePlus 5T phone gets 330mbps down over 5GHz AC at a distance of about 10-15 ft from the wireless access point. Your computer will require a decent PCIe based wireless card, usually with 3 antenna, in order to attain good speeds, so keep that in mind. Personally, I'd go with a wired connection all day every day for the stability though.

Yeah I just checked what link speed my laptop is connected at and it's >200 via the ac wifi card inside it. House is not big it's only 1100 square feet according to zillow.  Once I run the Ethernet cable upstairs should I just move the access point upstairs as well or maybe add another access point or even get some kinda mesh system? I don't really think I need mesh as I'm pretty much covered. Just been using these cheap usb cards for my desktop is that good enough or should I add a pcie card? Or should I just say fuck it and when i get the cable upstairs connect it to a spare switch i have lying around and follow the coax route?

You may find yourself in situations where a lower ping helps even when you're not gaming such as video/audio streaming (Skype). Things like PLEX. Youtube (help stop video buffering). Etc. If you ever setup a home NAS communication with it will also be much better when wired.

14 hours ago, mamamia88 said:

I really want to run some Ethernet upstairs but, not sure it's worth the expense. All my gaming stuff is downstairs and wired. All I have upstairs are rokus, a couple  laptops, and a desktop that is just used for browsing. I would like to get the full 200 mbps my isp provides but, I should be able to get that over ac wifi right? Is it worth running for non essential stuff? 

It really depends on a lot of factors, including what you value.

I would say there's still some benefit to running Ethernet, in that it's still a more reliable connection with lower latency. With that in mind, with your specific requirements for the area, it's definitely not a requirement.

Wifi - especially from a decent AC router - should provide adequate performance for you. If you have bad signal upstairs, you might want to run a single ethernet cable up there and install a Wireless Access Point (or a 2nd router but in "AP Mode" - with DHCP, NAT, firewall, etc, disabled).

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

I always run ethernet wherever possible... 

• more secure
  • lower latency
  • more reliable
  • not at the mercy of neighbors possibly crowding wifi radio space
  • generationally faster

There's nothing inherintly wrong with using wifi if you really can't run ethernet, but it is functionally not as good for the above mentioned reasons. Wifi is more convenient, since it doesn't require running cabling and allows for devices that move around a lot (phone, tablet, laptop).

HEDT: i9 10980XE @ 4.9 gHz, 64GB @ 3600mHz CL14 G.Skill Trident-Z DDR4, 2x Nvidia Titan RTX NVLink SLI, Corsair AX1600i, Samsung 960 Pro 2TB OS/apps, Samsung 850 EVO 4TB media, LG 38GL950G-B monitor, Drop CTRL keyboard, Decus Respec mouse

Laptop: Razer Blade Pro 2019 9750H model, 32GB @ 3200mHz CL18 G.Skill Ripjaws DDR4, 2x Samsung 960 Pro 1TB RAID0, repasted with Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut
Gaming Rig: i9 9900ks @ 5.2ghz, 32GB @ 4000mHz CL17 G.Skill Trident-Z DDR4, EVGA RTX 2080 Ti Kingpin, Corsair HX1200, Samsung 970 EVO Plus 2TB, Asus PG348Q monitor, Corsair K70 LUX RGB keyboard, Corsair Ironclaw mouse
HTPC: i7 7700 (delidded + LM), 16GB @ 2666mHz CL15 Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4, MSI Geforce GTX 1070 Gaming X, Corsair SFX 600, Samsung 850 Pro 512gb, Samsung Q55R TV, Filco Majestouch Convertible 2 TKL keyboard, Logitech G403 wireless mouse

7 hours ago, Kalm_Traveler1 said:

I always run ethernet wherever possible... 

• more secure
  • lower latency
  • more reliable
  • not at the mercy of neighbors possibly crowding wifi radio space
  • generationally faster

There's nothing inherintly wrong with using wifi if you really can't run ethernet, but it is functionally not as good for the above mentioned reasons. Wifi is more convenient, since it doesn't require running cabling and allows for devices that move around a lot (phone, tablet, laptop).

People don't stress that enough.  There is always a possibility of someone cracking your password or you running devices at an older version of WPA, simply through not knowing any better or a bad WiFi implementation.

Even if WiFi works fine 99% of the time, why have that inconsistency 1% of the time when with wired you can avoid it entirely?

Router:  Intel N100 (pfSense) WiFi6: Zyxel NWA210AX (1.7Gbit peak at 160Mhz)
WiFi5: Ubiquiti NanoHD OpenWRT (~500Mbit at 80Mhz) Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, MS510TXPP, GS110EMX
ISPs: Zen Full Fibre 900 (~930Mbit down, 115Mbit up) + Three 5G (~800Mbit down, 115Mbit up)
Upgrading Laptop/Desktop CNVIo WiFi 5 cards to PCIe WiFi6e/7

20 minutes ago, Alex Atkin UK said:

People don't stress that enough.  There is always a possibility of someone cracking your password or you running devices at an older version of WPA, simply through not knowing any better or a bad WiFi implementation.

Even if WiFi works fine 99% of the time, why have that inconsistency 1% of the time when with wired you can avoid it entirely?

yep... so many options for nosey people to sniff your wifi traffic. There are always going to be varying degrees of risk no matter how secure you think you are, but I figure why leave any low-hanging fruit for my neighbors?

HEDT: i9 10980XE @ 4.9 gHz, 64GB @ 3600mHz CL14 G.Skill Trident-Z DDR4, 2x Nvidia Titan RTX NVLink SLI, Corsair AX1600i, Samsung 960 Pro 2TB OS/apps, Samsung 850 EVO 4TB media, LG 38GL950G-B monitor, Drop CTRL keyboard, Decus Respec mouse

Laptop: Razer Blade Pro 2019 9750H model, 32GB @ 3200mHz CL18 G.Skill Ripjaws DDR4, 2x Samsung 960 Pro 1TB RAID0, repasted with Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut
Gaming Rig: i9 9900ks @ 5.2ghz, 32GB @ 4000mHz CL17 G.Skill Trident-Z DDR4, EVGA RTX 2080 Ti Kingpin, Corsair HX1200, Samsung 970 EVO Plus 2TB, Asus PG348Q monitor, Corsair K70 LUX RGB keyboard, Corsair Ironclaw mouse
HTPC: i7 7700 (delidded + LM), 16GB @ 2666mHz CL15 Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4, MSI Geforce GTX 1070 Gaming X, Corsair SFX 600, Samsung 850 Pro 512gb, Samsung Q55R TV, Filco Majestouch Convertible 2 TKL keyboard, Logitech G403 wireless mouse

3 hours ago, Kalm_Traveler1 said:

yep... so many options for nosey people to sniff your wifi traffic. There are always going to be varying degrees of risk no matter how secure you think you are, but I figure why leave any low-hanging fruit for my neighbors?

I actually have a monitor on my NAS displaying all active clients, just in case.  You never know.

This is actually one of the issues I have with IPv6, if I never know which PC has which IP address and a mechanism to monitor their bandwidth usage, how am I supposed to know if something awry is happening on my network?

WiFi5: Ubiquiti NanoHD OpenWRT (~500Mbit at 80Mhz) Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, MS510TXPP, GS110EMX
ISPs: Zen Full Fibre 900 (~930Mbit down, 115Mbit up) + Three 5G (~800Mbit down, 115Mbit up)

3 hours ago, Alex Atkin UK said:

I actually have a monitor on my NAS displaying all active clients, just in case.  You never know.

yeah I just set up a pfSense machine for router/firewall/IDS/IPS/DNS/DHCP, separated my basement renters to their own VLAN on a separate (bandwidth limited to 100mbps) wifi AP. Going to start changing wifi passwords every 6 months, etc. Started working in infosec about a year and a half ago, and almost done with my bachelors degree in it. Absolutely mind-blowing how easy people make it to be compromised.

13 hours ago, Kalm_Traveler1 said:

yeah I just set up a pfSense machine for router/firewall/IDS/IPS/DNS/DHCP, separated my basement renters to their own VLAN on a separate (bandwidth limited to 100mbps) wifi AP. Going to start changing wifi passwords every 6 months, etc. Started working in infosec about a year and a half ago, and almost done with my bachelors degree in it. Absolutely mind-blowing how easy people make it to be compromised.

Never changed my password but its 14 characters, I'm sure the neighbours using stock ISP routers would get cracked first anyway. ;)