Removing All Need for Permissions to Read/Write to Drives?

avrona

I remember doing it somehow or at least to some extent using the Registry Editor in Windows, though I can't remember exactly how, so does someone know how to do it? I'm using Windows 10 in the latest version.

Usually; you'd right click the properties window o the folder the item/s are in and remove the selected marker for read-only files...then choose to apply to all files in the folder...click your way out. If you're only looking to change the properties of certain files, you have to do it individually to the target files...and then it is maybe only a 60/40 chance of complying with your request.

Have used and had some success with Attributes Changer [google it up] I found it is better than just using Windows, but still not 100% success rate...

27 minutes ago, Pharr Carnell said:

Usually; you'd right click the properties window o the folder the item/s are in and remove the selected marker for read-only files...then choose to apply to all files in the folder...click your way out. If you're only looking to change the properties of certain files, you have to do it individually to the target files...and then it is maybe only a 60/40 chance of complying with your request.

Have used and had some success with Attributes Changer [google it up] I found it is better than just using Windows, but still not 100% success rate...

It seems like everything it market correctly for the drives, yet I still have some weird problems with being unable to write to them and such.

Even if you are an administrator windows explorer process still runs as a limited user account. This is normal is part of UAC.

Where this may be a problem is if you need rights from Administrators group on the file system. Since explorer isnt running with administrator privileges it will deny or prompt for elevation to access 

You have a few options

1.  Turn off UAC

This is not recommended as UAC helps protect your PC by preventing processes from running with highest permissions without your authorization 

2. Create another group for file permissions

Create another group for permissions rather than administrators and add this group to the folders you want to manage

This is best option but most difficult 

3. Enable built in administrator account

Built in administrator account runs all processes with highest permissions 

This account is disabled for security reasons and should never be used as everday account. You would need to switch to this account when you want to change protected files

I don't know why... but no one has questioned what the drive, partition, or files are that you are trying to mess with in the first place. So, wanna shed some light on that?

You may be trying to access stuff you shouldn't be messing with, or trying to access stuff in use by the system. I think we should confirm what you're trying to touch before we try and grant  blanket "solutions" which may be inaccurate depending on what you're doing/trying to do.

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic" - Arthur C. Clarke
Just because it may seem like magic, I'm not a wizard, just a nerd. I am fallible. 

Use the quote button or @<username> to reply to people | Mark solved troubleshooting topics as such, selecting the correct answer, and follow them to get replies!

Community Standards | Guides & Tutorials Troubleshooting Section

16 hours ago, SlayerOfHellWyrm said:

I don't know why... but no one has questioned what the drive, partition, or files are that you are trying to mess with in the first place. So, wanna shed some light on that?

I'm trying to make it work for all drives and all possible locations on the whole PC.

2 hours ago, avrona said:

I'm trying to make it work for all drives and all possible locations on the whole PC.

Short answer, is no. There are certain "drives" (read, partitions here) and certain folders and files you should never be touching, and thus shouldn't have access to. For instance you really shouldn't be touching the recovery, or EFI partitions, and many system files you shouldn't be messing with.

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic" - Arthur C. Clarke
Just because it may seem like magic, I'm not a wizard, just a nerd. I am fallible. 

Use the quote button or @<username> to reply to people | Mark solved troubleshooting topics as such, selecting the correct answer, and follow them to get replies!

Community Standards | Guides & Tutorials Troubleshooting Section

1 hour ago, SlayerOfHellWyrm said:

Short answer, is no. There are certain "drives" (read, partitions here) and certain folders and files you should never be touching, and thus shouldn't have access to. For instance you really shouldn't be touching the recovery, or EFI partitions, and many system files you shouldn't be messing with.

Ok but the issue is I'm having issue with just normal locations so how do I fix it in one way or another. Just trying to change permissions in the security tab doesn't work.