Moving OS to a new SSD

Jester196

Hey guys, I just got a new SSD and I was wondering how to get my windows 8.1 on it. I've read a few things about just re-installing the OS but that wouldn't work as I've already used the activation key, right?

If I was able to do this how would I uninstall the OS from my current HDD.

I've already formatted the SSD and everything, I'm just waiting until I figure out how to move the OS. Any help is welcome.

Thanks.

ASUS RTX 2080 Super ROG STRIX | AMD Ryzen 9 3900XT | ASUS ROG STRIX X570-F Gaming | Corsair Vengeance PRO RBG 16GB 3600MHz | NZXT Kraken X73 | Lian-Li PC-011 Dynamic | x9 CoolerMaster MF120 Halo

Use AOMEI Backupper. It's free. There's a clone feature. It's literally as simple as "Click Clone. Click the drive you want to clone. Click the drive you want to clone to. Start clone." 

Then once it's done, switch which drive you boot from. 

I do it all the time at work when an HDD is about to die on a PC. The product key won't care.

† Christian Member †

For my pertinent links to guides, reviews, and anything similar, go here, and look under the spoiler labeled such. A brief history of Unix and it's relation to OS X by Builder.

Call Microsoft to renew the activation key. Just reinstall and wipe the old hdd afterwards.

Some ssd's come with migration software but it's recommended to reinstall for a cleaner system.

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

You can re activate the key, you just need to call them to do the confirmation thing, cloning may cause some serious issues so it is not recommended. A fres install with the key reused is possible and the best option. /opinion

After you have the OS just format the HDD and you are done.

Spoiler

Case Bitfenix Ghost, Mobo Asus Maximus VIII Ranger, CPU i7 6700K @4.2 Ghz cooled by Arctic cooling Freezer i30, (barely). GPU Nvidia GTX 970 Gigabyte G1 @1519Mhz core, RAM 16Gb Crucial Ballistix CL16 @2400Mhz. SSD 128GB Sandisk Ultra Plus as my OS drive. HDD's  1TB  Seagate ST31000524AS its OEM, 3TB Seagate Barracuda, 2x 500GB WDC Blue (RAID 0)

If it isn't working absolutely perfectly, according to all your assumptions, it is broken.

Use AOMEI Backupper. It's free. There's a clone feature. It's literally as simple as "Click Clone. Click the drive you want to clone. Click the drive you want to clone to. Start clone." 

Then once it's done, switch which drive you boot from. 

I do it all the time at work when an HDD is about to die on a PC. The product key won't care.

I looked at this but I seemed that you had to clone the whole disk, it's just the OS I need

ASUS RTX 2080 Super ROG STRIX | AMD Ryzen 9 3900XT | ASUS ROG STRIX X570-F Gaming | Corsair Vengeance PRO RBG 16GB 3600MHz | NZXT Kraken X73 | Lian-Li PC-011 Dynamic | x9 CoolerMaster MF120 Halo

Call Microsoft to renew the activation key. Just reinstall and wipe the old hdd afterwards.

Some ssd's come with migration software but it's recommended to reinstall for a cleaner system.

You can re activate the key, you just need to call them to do the confirmation thing, cloning may cause some serious issues so it is not recommended. A fres install with the key reused is possible and the best option. /opinion

After you have the OS just format the HDD and you are done.

This sounds perfect but if I wipe the the old HHD I will lose all my music, games ect

This sounds perfect but if I wipe the the old HHD I will lose all my music, games ect

You can still access the old files on the hdd if you decide not to wipe the hdd. Just move the music/game folders etc and point the locations to those folders.

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

for full speed for the os please do clean install on the sdd do not clone from hdd to ssd...

EOC folding stats - Folding stats - My web folding page stats

Summer Glau: Quote's The future is worth fighting for. Serenity

My linux setup: CPU: I7 2600K @4.5Ghz, MM: Corsair 16GB vengeance @1600Mhz, GPU: 2 Way Radeon his iceq x2 7970, MB: Asus sabertooth Z77, PSU: Corsair 750 plus Gold modular

My gaming setup: CPU: I7 3770K @4.7Ghz, MM: Corsair 32GB vengeance @1600Mhz, GPU: 2 Way Gigabyte RX580 8GB, MB: Asus sabertooth Z77, PSU: Corsair 860i Platinum modular

I looked at this but I seemed that you had to clone the whole disk, it's just the OS I need

Ah, I fail. I've never done it from a larger drive to a smaller one. Only smaller to bigger, which it works fine for. My bad. 

If you want to do it the complicated way, which I don't exactly recommend, you could use whatever space is left on your HDD to make another partition, move the files to that partition, extend it using the space that was just made available, rinse and repeat until only our OS is on the C partition. 

Then clone the OS. I don't recommend it because it's time consuming, whereas calling M$ and getting the key reactivated takes all of 5 minutes. And a fresh Install of an OS is always best.

† Christian Member †

For my pertinent links to guides, reviews, and anything similar, go here, and look under the spoiler labeled such. A brief history of Unix and it's relation to OS X by Builder.

If your reinstalling on a notebook it may have the bios embedded in the bios so if you fresh install windows it should fetch the key itself. If not then samsung have migration software and hardware with there ssd's.

PC 1 Specs (New) :

Corsair 450D | Intel 4770K | Asus Sabertooth Z97 | 16GB Corsair Vengeance @1600Mhz | Asus STRIX GTX 970 SLI | Samsung 840 EVO 250GB | 2 WD Black 500GB RAID 0 | WD Red 3TB | Corsair AX860 | Corsair H110 | 4 Corsair 140mm LED & 1 120mm Fans

PC 2 Specs (Old) :

Corsair 650D | AMD Phenom II X6 1100T | Asus Crosshair IV Formula | 4GB Corsair XMS3 @1600Mhz | Crossfire HD6970's | Asus Essence STX | OCZ Agility 3 240GB| WD Blue 250GB | WD Green 640GB | XFX850PRO | Corsair H100i

Peripherals :

BenQ 2420T | Packard Bell Viseo 220DX | Corsair K70 | Corsair M65 | Beyerdynamic DT880 Premium | Sennheiser PC360 | Bang & Olufsen Beovox X25's