1660 Ti Strix OC for 1440p all maxed out,for around 60 fps?

frozensun

Guys please help me.

I'm a bit confused if to sell this card or unbox it and use it.

I need around 60 fps at 1440p at high/ultra settings.

Games I will play in next 1-2-3 months are:

Batman Dark Knight,Shadow of the Tom Raider,Rise of the Tomb Raider,Far Cry New Dawn,Far Cry 5,The Witcher 3,Fallout 4,Assasins Creed (whole pack),Crysis 2,3 (replay),Sniper Elite 3,Metro Exodus,Dying Light The Following,Shadow of Mordor...

I have also a lot of games from this year,but haven't installed them.

So if you think I should sell it,even if I manage to sell it for like 340 euros,I'd go for hmm dunno probably RX 5700 because all Nvidia 2070 are expensive here.

Please do not take offence for my apparent confusion or rudeness,it's not intent me to be like that,it's just my BPD,be nice to me,and I'll return twice better,be rude and usually I get easly pissed of...I'll try to help anyone here,as long as it's something I dealt with,and even if you think I'm rude or not polite,forgive me,  it's not me it's my BPD.

Thanks for understanding.

2 minutes ago, dgsddfgdfhgs said:

I dont think a 5700xt / 2070s could handle max 1440 either

there has to be compromise 

as I mentioned I just need around 60 fps...

Please do not take offence for my apparent confusion or rudeness,it's not intent me to be like that,it's just my BPD,be nice to me,and I'll return twice better,be rude and usually I get easly pissed of...I'll try to help anyone here,as long as it's something I dealt with,and even if you think I'm rude or not polite,forgive me,  it's not me it's my BPD.

16 minutes ago, frozensun said:

Guys please help me.

Batman Dark Knight,Shadow of the Tom Raider,Rise of the Tomb Raider,Far Cry New Dawn,Far Cry 5,The Witcher 3,Fallout 4,Assasins Creed (whole pack),Crysis 2,3 (replay),Sniper Elite 3,Metro Exodus,Dying Light The Following,Shadow of Mordor...

So if you think I should sell it,even if I manage to sell it for like 340 euros,I'd go for hmm dunno probably RX 5700 because all Nvidia 2070 are expensive here.

Well, I think a 1660Ti ought to handle older games like Witcher 3, Fallout 4, Crysis 2 + 3, Sniper Elite 3, Doom and Batman: Dark Knight just fine at 1440p 60FPS w/ V-Sync alhtough I doubt it'd be able to push more demanding titles such as Metro Exodus, Tomb Raider 2 etc. at "high/ultra" setting so you'll have to either scale the resolution down to 1080p or run at medium settings. 

Personally, I believe that 1440p resolution is absolutely pointless when it comes to sub 30" displays. So you may want to consider replacing your current monitor with a 90-120Hz 1080p FreeSync monitor that happens to be compatible with Nvidia hardware.

Rest is up to you. 

Old games sure, new games nah. Just because it's a Strix doesnt change the fact that it's only a 1660ti

CPU: i7-2600K 4751MHz 1.44V (software) --> 1.47V at the back of the socket Motherboard: Asrock Z77 Extreme4 (BCLK: 103.3MHz) CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 RAM: Adata XPG 2x8GB DDR3 (XMP: 2133MHz 10-11-11-30 CR2, custom: 2203MHz 10-11-10-26 CR1 tRFC:230 tREFI:14000) GPU: Asus GTX 1070 Dual (Super Jetstream vbios, +70(2025-2088MHz)/+400(8.8Gbps)) SSD: Samsung 840 Pro 256GB (main boot drive), Transcend SSD370 128GB PSU: Seasonic X-660 80+ Gold Case: Antec P110 Silent, 5 intakes 1 exhaust Monitor: AOC G2460PF 1080p 144Hz (150Hz max w/ DP, 121Hz max w/ HDMI) TN panel Keyboard: Logitech G610 Orion (Cherry MX Blue) with SteelSeries Apex M260 keycaps Mouse: BenQ Zowie FK1

Model: HP Omen 17 17-an110ca CPU: i7-8750H (0.125V core & cache, 50mV SA undervolt) GPU: GTX 1060 6GB Mobile (+80/+450, 1650MHz~1750MHz 0.78V~0.85V) RAM: 8+8GB DDR4-2400 18-17-17-39 2T Storage: HP EX920 1TB PCIe x4 M.2 SSD + Crucial MX500 1TB 2.5" SATA SSD, 128GB Toshiba PCIe x2 M.2 SSD (KBG30ZMV128G) gone cooking externally, 1TB Seagate 7200RPM 2.5" HDD (ST1000LM049-2GH172) left outside Monitor: 1080p 126Hz IPS G-sync

Desktop benching:

Cinebench R15 Single thread:168 Multi-thread: 833 

SuperPi (v1.5 from Techpowerup, PI value output) 16K: 0.100s 1M: 8.255s 32M: 7m 45.93s

8 hours ago, frozensun said:

Guys please help me.

The 5700XT is your best bet, but it's going to have to be overclocked, and it still might not get to a constant 60FPS in some of those titles. (there will be a few drops below 60FPS in several of them)

CPURyzen 7 5800X Cooler: Arctic Liquid Freezer II 120mm AIO with push-pull Arctic P12 PWM fans RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws V 4x8GB 3600 16-16-16-30

MotherboardASRock X570M Pro4 GPUASRock RX 5700 XT Reference with Eiswolf GPX-Pro 240 AIO Case: Antec P5 PSU: Rosewill Capstone 750M

Monitor: ASUS ROG Strix XG32VC Case Fans: 2x Arctic P12 PWM Storage: HP EX950 1TB NVMe, Mushkin Pilot-E 1TB NVMe, 2x Constellation ES 2TB in RAID1

https://hwbot.org/submission/4497882_btgbullseye_gpupi_v3.3___32b_radeon_rx_5700_xt_13min_37sec_848ms

How about buying gtx 1070 ti?Would I get few frames more for 1440p?

Can't go for 5700xt,here is over 500 euros. 

Well the tests tell the opposite what is he telling on 8:09,wtf???

Naah card sucks at 1440p,I guess I will need to sell it...

How about RX 5700 since XT is too expensive to me?

The only thing I can do is to lower the rez to 1080p (in games) on the 1440p monitor.

How about that as temporary solution until I purchase better card?

4 hours ago, frozensun said:

How about RX 5700 since XT is too expensive to me?

The 5700 is about equal to the 2060 Super... They can only achieve 1440p60 at reduced quality.

If you want to reduce settings as a temporary solution, start with shadows and SSAO. Dropping those down by one notch might make up the framerate with minimal loss of visual fidelity.

CPURyzen 7 5800X Cooler: Arctic Liquid Freezer II 120mm AIO with push-pull Arctic P12 PWM fans RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws V 4x8GB 3600 16-16-16-30

MotherboardASRock X570M Pro4 GPUASRock RX 5700 XT Reference with Eiswolf GPX-Pro 240 AIO Case: Antec P5 PSU: Rosewill Capstone 750M

Monitor: ASUS ROG Strix XG32VC Case Fans: 2x Arctic P12 PWM Storage: HP EX950 1TB NVMe, Mushkin Pilot-E 1TB NVMe, 2x Constellation ES 2TB in RAID1

https://hwbot.org/submission/4497882_btgbullseye_gpupi_v3.3___32b_radeon_rx_5700_xt_13min_37sec_848ms

9 hours ago, RetroGeneral said:

you can always try image enhancement and still play at 1920xresolution set. 
if you'r not happy with the result changes can be made later in the proces.

image enhancement is exactly developed for those situations if you want to belief team green's media team 
i use it mostly for enhancing games from around 2000 , together with enabling FXAA .. most of the time that ends with a little giggle since the results are not really that enhancing but granted…. dx9 games and up are supported ;) 

yeah,but on my previous threads someone wrote something likr gaming on native 1440p at 1080p sucks,loss of quality,don't understand...I mean isn't that the same just like as I would purchase 32 inch, 1080p monitor?

seems I can't sell this card,so I can only use it,but I think maybe in even 6 months I'd need a better card so no point...

I just watched RDR2 performance with it and it sucks.

Yeah the solution is to lower graphics settings which I don't want to.

But there is no way of buying either 2070 or RX 5700 XT,too much money here...

30 minutes ago, frozensun said:

seems I can't sell this card,so I can only use it,but I think maybe in even 6 months I'd need a better card so no point...

I just watched RDR2 performance with it and it sucks.

Yeah the solution is to lower graphics settings which I don't want to.

But there is no way of buying either 2070 or RX 5700 XT,too much money here...

I get around 70fps at 1440p ultra using a 2080ti lol... Performance sucks across the board there. You can't have High resolution gaming on a budget and want all the bells and whistles I'm afraid. The two don't go together and is one of the reasons why 1080p is still mainstream in the pc sector.

Gaming PC: • AMD Ryzen 7 3900x • 16gb Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 3200mhz • Founders Edition 2080ti • 2x Crucial 1tb nvme ssd • NZXT H1• Logitech G915TKL • Logitech G Pro • Asus ROG XG32VQ • SteelSeries Arctis Pro Wireless

Laptop: MacBook Pro M1 512gb

7 minutes ago, Badger906 said:

I get around 70fps at 1440p ultra using a 2080ti lol... Performance sucks across the board there. You can't have High resolution gaming on a budget and want all the bells and whistles I'm afraid. The two don't go together and is one of the reasons why 1080p is still mainstream in the pc sector.

Yeah I know but I do play all the games I mentioned at high/ultra at around 40-50 fos with 390,not perfect but playable.

But I made huge mistake because I thought buying 1660 Ti which is exact double the power of R9 390 would give me  amazing results at 1080p and luckily it does,but then I got my self 1440p monitor and all hell got loose.

I haven't watched results at 1440p because I didn't care,I had UW 1080 monitor and 1660Ti was perfect for it.

Now hmm what would happen if I switch to 1080p on 1440p native monitor just to get those extra FPS?

Is there a change in picture quality noticeable,because 1080p is not native resolution of this monitor?

2 minutes ago, frozensun said:

Yeah I know but I do play all the games I mentioned at high/ultra at around 40-50 fos with 390,not perfect but playable.

But I made huge mistake because I thought buying 1660 Ti which is exact double the power of R9 390 would give me  amazing results at 1080p and luckily it does,but then I got my self 1440p monitor and all hell got loose.

I haven't watched results at 1440p because I didn't care,I had UW 1080 monitor and 1660Ti was perfect for it.

Now hmm what would happen if I switch to 1080p on 1440p native monitor just to get those extra FPS?

Is there a change in picture quality noticeable,because 1080p is not native resolution of this monitor?

Why are you worried about fps though. Just have fun! If the game looks good enough to you and plays then enjoy it. The need to hit performance levels isn't a requirement. I've been around long enough to just appreciate the fact a game runs lol.

Non native resolutions will work just fine. But depending on the monitors quality you can get a bit of bluring.

Gaming PC: • AMD Ryzen 7 3900x • 16gb Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 3200mhz • Founders Edition 2080ti • 2x Crucial 1tb nvme ssd • NZXT H1• Logitech G915TKL • Logitech G Pro • Asus ROG XG32VQ • SteelSeries Arctis Pro Wireless

1 minute ago, Badger906 said:

Why are you worried about fps though. Just have fun! If the game looks good enough to you and plays then enjoy it. The need to hit performance levels isn't a requirement. I've been around long enough to just appreciate the fact a game runs lol.

Non native resolutions will work just fine. But depending on the monitors quality you can get a bit of bluring.

it's 32 inch one,so some guys wrote 1080p would suck at that diagonal.

So you think I should unbox the card? :)

Yeah my friend who cares I remember playing games at max 20 fps 10 years ago lool

2 minutes ago, frozensun said:

it's 32 inch one,so some guys wrote 1080p would suck at that diagonal.

So you think I should unbox the card? :)

Yeah my friend who cares I remember playing games at max 20 fps 10 years ago lool

Well size doesn't matter. Its more a fractions game. If the resolution is half or quarter it will display perfectly. If it doesn't fit those then you can get aspect issues and bluring. But its not always bad. I had a 4k monitor long before gpus could handle them. I mostly played at 1440p with zero issues and thats not a native supported res

1 minute ago, Badger906 said:

Well size doesn't matter. Its more a fractions game. If the resolution is half or quarter it will display perfectly. If it doesn't fit those then you can get aspect issues and bluring. But its not always bad. I had a 4k monitor long before gpus could handle them. I mostly played at 1440p with zero issues and thats not a native supported res

I guess only one way to find out and that is to try..but as for now,because I play older titles I'm still happy with R9 390 and I want to squeeze all the juices from it,lool,because I paid for that garbage back in 2016 350 euros...I'll keep for now 1660 Ti because I still think that there is not noticable difference in plus 20 fps I'd get with 1660 Ti.For me everything above 50 fps is perfectly fine.

3 minutes ago, Badger906 said:

Overclock it using msi afterburner and try 1440p, might work. If not, then you'll have to stay at 1080p, you can get up to 150 fps with it playing modern AAA games.(1080p), you know how to overclock right?

My custom loop 5000$ PC:

CPU: Intel i7 9900k Motherboard: Asus Prime Z390-A RAM: 32GB (x4 8GB Modules) Corsair Dominator VideoCard: Asus Nvidia 2080ti HDD/SSD: 1TB M2 Samsung EVO 970 Case: LianLi O11 Dynamic (White) Radiator: x1 Corsair Hydro X Series XR5 360 Fans: x6 Corsair LL120 RGB Tubing: Thermaltake PETG ID: 13mm OD: 16mm Fittings: Bitspower Throughout Waterblocks: CPU: EK-Velocity RGB (Nickel+Plexi) VideoCard: EK-Vector RTX 2080ti w/ Nickel Backplate (Nickel+Plexi) Reservoir: Bitspower Touchaqua Sedna Front Plate Options: Corsair Commander Pro, Corsair RGB Controller, Custom Sleeved Cables for CPU, ATX and PCI-E

On 12/23/2019 at 3:04 AM, Man said:

Personally, I believe that 1440p resolution is absolutely pointless when it comes to sub 30" displays. 

You can do a test on isthisretina.com

some people still have decent eyesight.

CPU: Ryzen 2600 GPU: RX 6800 RAM: ddr4 3000Mhz 4x8GB  MOBO: MSI B450-A PRO Display: 4k120hz with freesync premium.

15 hours ago, LOST TALE said:

You can do a test on isthisretina.com

some people still have decent eyesight.

Either that or they sit too close to the monitor. 

Personally, I prefer a screen distance of 3 feet or more. 

• 2 weeks later...

well the card is installed today guys and I'm dissapointed:

I did max all the details in Shadow of the Tomb Raider and at 1440p the card barely gets 60 fps,which sucks.

Then I tried Metro Exodus at 1440p at ultra,and fps drops at even 35 fps.

I expected maybe too much from 1660 Ti...

Although I can play older titles,but obviously for 1440p need to lower details in games to high or medium depending on the game.

Compared to my R9 390 I didn't get much,I think just around 10 fps more,which was not worth spending 350 euros for this card.

That is my biggest complain.

I will check other titles as well,fps increase should be bigger.

Many mentioned this card is good for 1440p but from my experience no,no way,ideal for 1080p all maxed out.

2 hours ago, frozensun said:

well the card is installed today guys and I'm dissapointed:

I did max all the details in Shadow of the Tomb Raider and at 1440p the card barely gets 60 fps,which sucks.

Then I tried Metro Exodus at 1440p at ultra,and fps drops at even 35 fps.

I expected maybe too much from 1660 Ti...

Although I can play older titles,but obviously for 1440p need to lower details in games to high or medium depending on the game.

Compared to my R9 390 I didn't get much,I think just around 10 fps more,which was not worth spending 350 euros for this card.

That is my biggest complain.

I will check other titles as well,fps increase should be bigger.

Many mentioned this card is good for 1440p but from my experience no,no way,ideal for 1080p all maxed out.

1440p is 77.7% more pixels than 1080p bro...of course you'll need a lot more gpu ressources...

| CPU: Core i7-8700K @ 4.89ghz - 1.21v  Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z370-E GAMING  CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 |
| GPU: MSI RTX 3080Ti Ventus 3X OC  RAM: 32GB T-Force Delta RGB 3066mhz |
| Displays: Acer Predator XB270HU 1440p Gsync 144hz IPS Gaming monitor | Oculus Quest 2 VR

The answer is NO.

Here is a sampling of games where it falls short of averaging 60 fps (1% lows are even worse obviously)

Shadow of the Tomb Raider - Highest Settings 1440p = 58 fps

Just Cause 4 - Very High Setting 1440p = 54 fps

Metro Exodus - Ultra 1440p = 52 fps

RDR2 - Ultra 1440p = 37 fps

That is just to name a few based mostly of a Techspot review of the 1660 ti