I7 9700k, 36°c-83°c @ idle. Help.

Hi guys,

Query for you smarter people.

My girlfriend was playing Sims on my computer and it started crashing the computer which required a complete restart as all functionality was lost.
I decided to do some digging and discovered that my cpu's idle temperatures ranged between 36° and 83°c, this is without any overclocking at all. And during gameplay (e.g. Sims 4) it is sitting at 75°- 87°c.

I am running an ASRock z390 motherboard, EVGA GTX 1080ti, 32gb of g.skill tridentZ ram, and a CoolerMaster 212evo with a noctua P12 fan replacing the standard CoolerMaster one, and a thermaltake 850w 80+gold.

I have attempted to remount the cooler and reapplied artic silver 5 compound. I have modified the fan curve to operate at 70% until 80° and then 90-100% from 80°+.

Any help is appreciated. I have done a bit of googling already but it seems that most are running an AIO with their i7 9700k and are achieving roughly 20°-35°c at idle.

I have also noticed that the CPU usage is incredibly erratic and will show really high CPU usage with very little running. E.g. windows explorer was using 15.9% of my CPU and it was at 66% usage total. Totally stumped as to what is going on.

As said above, any help is appreciated!!

Cheers
Dr-Krieger

Capture.thumb.JPG.3671bc8515acf33f0b2e4b6e5e310a04.JPG

8 minutes ago, Dr_Krieger said:

Hi guys,

Query for you smarter people.

My girlfriend was playing Sims on my computer and it started crashing the computer which required a complete restart as all functionality was lost.
I decided to do some digging and discovered that my cpu's idle temperatures ranged between 36° and 83°c, this is without any overclocking at all. And during gameplay (e.g. Sims 4) it is sitting at 75°- 87°c.

I am running an ASRock z390 motherboard, EVGA GTX 1080ti, 32gb of g.skill tridentZ ram, and a CoolerMaster 212evo with a noctua P12 fan replacing the standard CoolerMaster one, and a thermaltake 850w 80+gold.

I have attempted to remount the cooler and reapplied artic silver 5 compound. I have modified the fan curve to operate at 70% until 80° and then 90-100% from 80°+.

Any help is appreciated. I have done a bit of googling already but it seems that most are running an AIO with their i7 9700k and are achieving roughly 20°-35°c at idle.

I have also noticed that the CPU usage is incredibly erratic and will show really high CPU usage with very little running. E.g. windows explorer was using 15.9% of my CPU and it was at 66% usage total. Totally stumped as to what is going on.

As said above, any help is appreciated!!

Cheers
Dr-Krieger

Capture.thumb.JPG.3671bc8515acf33f0b2e4b6e5e310a04.JPG

this could very likely not be the reason but your voltage  seems a bit higher than usual are you running MCE? also do you have the latest windows/BIOS installed?

PC: Motherboard: ASUS B550M TUF-Plus, CPU: Ryzen 3 3100, CPU Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34, GPU: GIGABYTE WindForce GTX1650S, RAM: HyperX Fury RGB 2x8GB 3200 CL16, Case, CoolerMaster MB311L ARGB, Boot Drive: 250GB MX500, Game Drive: WD Blue 1TB 7200RPM HDD.

Peripherals: GK61 (Optical Gateron Red) with Mistel White/Orange keycaps, Logitech G102 (Purple), BitWit Ensemble Grey Deskpad. 

Audio: Logitech G432, Moondrop Starfield, Mic: Razer Siren Mini (White).

Phone: Pixel 3a (Purple-ish).

Build Log: 

You're running intel multicore inhancement (MCE) - You can disable that in bios. Maybe get some better thermal paste than arctic silver. Get NT-H1 or Kryonaut. Go to BIOS if in EZ mode toggle F6. Go to CPU configuration - manual http://asrock.pc.cdn.bitgravity.com/Manual/Z390 Pro4.pdf

CPU: Ryzen 5800X3D | Motherboard: Gigabyte B550 Elite V2 | RAM: G.Skill Aegis 2x16gb 3200 @3600mhz | PSU: EVGA SuperNova 750 G3 | Monitor: LG 27GL850-B , Samsung C27HG70 | 
GPU: Red Devil RX 7900XT | Sound: Odac + Fiio E09K | Case: Fractal Design R6 TG Blackout |Storage: MP510 960gb and 860 Evo 500gb | Cooling: CPU: Noctua NH-D15 with one fan

FS in Denmark/EU:

Asus Dual GTX 1060 3GB. Used maximum 4 months total. Looks like new. Card never opened. Give me a price. 

I have left every bios setting at stock and have downloaded the latest bios driver from ASRock'S website.

Will check out the mce setting in a bit.

I am running the latest windows version aswell.

I will leave buying new thermal paste as a later resort as while I don't doubt the difference better quality thermal paste can make I doubt that it is this significant.

1 minute ago, Dr_Krieger said:

I have left every bios setting at stock and have downloaded the latest bios driver from ASRock'S website.

Will check out the mce setting in a bit.

I am running the latest windows version aswell.

I will leave buying new thermal paste as a later resort as while I don't doubt the difference better quality thermal paste can make I doubt that it is this significant.

also another thing is, the 212 isnt that good of a cooler for that high end cpu so you might need a new cooler like an nh u12s or a h115i

PC: Motherboard: ASUS B550M TUF-Plus, CPU: Ryzen 3 3100, CPU Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34, GPU: GIGABYTE WindForce GTX1650S, RAM: HyperX Fury RGB 2x8GB 3200 CL16, Case, CoolerMaster MB311L ARGB, Boot Drive: 250GB MX500, Game Drive: WD Blue 1TB 7200RPM HDD.

Peripherals: GK61 (Optical Gateron Red) with Mistel White/Orange keycaps, Logitech G102 (Purple), BitWit Ensemble Grey Deskpad. 

Build Log: 

8 minutes ago, TofuHaroto said:

also another thing is, the 212 isnt that good of a cooler for that high end cpu so you might need a new cooler like an nh u12s or a h115i

New query for you, 

Is there really that much difference between a u12s and a 212 if they are both running noctua fans? (I have modified my 212 with a noctua fan)

Cheers for the help!

33 minutes ago, Dr_Krieger said:

your temps are completely normal. and idle temps really do no matter. 

31 minutes ago, Dr_Krieger said:

New query for you, 

Is there really that much difference between a u12s and a 212 if they are both running noctua fans? (I have modified my 212 with a noctua fan)

Cheers for the help!

yes it does way more heatpipes and over all better design for thermal dissipation 

Build Log: 

39 minutes ago, Dr_Krieger said:

New query for you, 

Cheers for the help!

Should be fine, unless you want to overclock. When you disable MCE, your temps will drop ~20c, because of much lower voltage.

CPU: Ryzen 5800X3D | Motherboard: Gigabyte B550 Elite V2 | RAM: G.Skill Aegis 2x16gb 3200 @3600mhz | PSU: EVGA SuperNova 750 G3 | Monitor: LG 27GL850-B , Samsung C27HG70 | 
GPU: Red Devil RX 7900XT | Sound: Odac + Fiio E09K | Case: Fractal Design R6 TG Blackout |Storage: MP510 960gb and 860 Evo 500gb | Cooling: CPU: Noctua NH-D15 with one fan

FS in Denmark/EU:

Asus Dual GTX 1060 3GB. Used maximum 4 months total. Looks like new. Card never opened. Give me a price. 

If my thermals are correct then there must be another issue causing Sims 4 to crash.

It was working fine prior to the upgrade on a gigabyte gaming b8 motherboard, i5 7600, and 16gbs of 1666mhz gskill ram

Any ideas? 

Temperatures were the first thing I noticed.

And I have not been able to find the mce setting in bios. Am I missing something obvious or does ASRock disguise this setting under something else? The manual would suggest that there is an mce setting but there is no indication where that would be.

Thanks again!

59 minutes ago, GoldenLag said:

and idle temps really do no matter. 

They do matter when they are at 83c

CPU:i7 9700k 5047.5Mhz All Cores Mobo: MSI MPG Z390 Gaming Edge AC, RAM:Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB 3200MHz DDR4 OC 3467Mhz GPU:MSI RTX 2070 ARMOR 8GB OC Storage:Samsung SSD 970 EVO NVMe M.2 250GB, 2x SSD ADATA PRO SP900 256GB, HDD WD CB 2TB, HDD GREEN 2TB PSU: Seasonic focus plus 750w Gold Display(s): 1st: LG 27UK650-W, 4K, IPS, HDR10, 10bit(8bit + A-FRC). 2nd: Samsung 24" LED Monitor (SE390), Cooling:Fazn CPU Cooler Aero 120T Push/pull Corsair ML PRO Fans Keyboard: Corsair K95 Platinum RGB mx Rapidfire Mouse:Razer Naga Chroma  Headset: Razer Kraken 7.1 Chroma Sound: Logitech X-540 5.1 Surround Sound Speaker Case: Modded Case Inverted, 5 intake 120mm, one exhaust 120mm.

Check the Task Manager if something is running and "steal" your resource.

83c at idle is absolutely not normal.

I have the same CPU with a similar cooler also changed the fans to Corsair ML PRO Push/Pull

And my idle is ~30c ish and full load max 75c

CPU:i7 9700k 5047.5Mhz All Cores Mobo: MSI MPG Z390 Gaming Edge AC, RAM:Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB 3200MHz DDR4 OC 3467Mhz GPU:MSI RTX 2070 ARMOR 8GB OC Storage:Samsung SSD 970 EVO NVMe M.2 250GB, 2x SSD ADATA PRO SP900 256GB, HDD WD CB 2TB, HDD GREEN 2TB PSU: Seasonic focus plus 750w Gold Display(s): 1st: LG 27UK650-W, 4K, IPS, HDR10, 10bit(8bit + A-FRC). 2nd: Samsung 24" LED Monitor (SE390), Cooling:Fazn CPU Cooler Aero 120T Push/pull Corsair ML PRO Fans Keyboard: Corsair K95 Platinum RGB mx Rapidfire Mouse:Razer Naga Chroma  Headset: Razer Kraken 7.1 Chroma Sound: Logitech X-540 5.1 Surround Sound Speaker Case: Modded Case Inverted, 5 intake 120mm, one exhaust 120mm.

7 minutes ago, Constantin said:

They do matter when they are at 83c

Actually they dont. 

As long as the temps are good under load. 

And since it was such a massive range of idle temps. It was most likely doing something. 

1 minute ago, GoldenLag said:

Actually they dont. 

As long as the temps are good under load. 

And since it was such a massive range of idle temps. It was most likely doing something. 

Just to clarify, I had booted into windows, left to idle for 10 minutes then started up HWMonitor and left it for ~10 minutes. Unsure if that makes any difference to the point you're trying to make.

2 minutes ago, Dr_Krieger said:

Just to clarify, I had booted into windows, left to idle for 10 minutes then started up HWMonitor and left it for ~10 minutes. Unsure if that makes any difference to the point you're trying to make.

Likely a decompression/cpmpression workload that loaded in the background while you werent doing anything. 

Windows often try to find these moments to do stuff. 

In the end its load temps that matter. 

What temps when doing a cinebench r15/r20 run? (Just a quick benchmark)

12 minutes ago, GoldenLag said:

Likely a decompression/cpmpression workload that loaded in the background while you werent doing anything. 

Windows often try to find these moments to do stuff. 

In the end its load temps that matter. 

What temps when doing a cinebench r15/r20 run? (Just a quick benchmark)

Peaked at 98°c in cinebench r20

2 minutes ago, Dr_Krieger said:

Peaked at 98°c in cinebench r20

now that is a more interesting temp. 

r20 uses some AVX instructions. how are temps in R15?

load temps are certainly a higher than they should be. how is case ventilation? does opening the side panel improve these?

2 hours ago, Dr_Krieger said:

windows explorer was using 15.9% of my CPU and it was at 66% usage total. Totally stumped as to what is going on.

i skipped over this part. 

that there is a compression or decompression workload. 

Just now, GoldenLag said:

load temps are certainly a higher than they should be. how is case ventilation? does opening the side panel improve these?

I had forgot to mention that I have taken both the side panel and front panel off to provide as much airflow as possible.

This is also true regarding initial testing.

Apologies for not mentioning earlier.

Will run R15 now

5 minutes ago, GoldenLag said:

R15 ran at 85°c.

1 minute ago, Dr_Krieger said:

This is also true regarding initial testing.

Apologies for not mentioning earlier.

Will run R15 now

rough ambient temps?

wont matter if its 25*C or below. 

if r15 turns out badly. update Bios, reset the Bios settings. reapply your XMP profile. 

should remove any MCE if its enabled. 

re-do testing. 

Just now, Dr_Krieger said:

R15 ran at 85°c.

do sqeuential runs of about 3-4 in a row. (just to be lazy to not install extra stresstest software)

see if it levels out or keeps climbing

3 minutes ago, GoldenLag said:

rough ambient temps?

wont matter if its 25*C or below. 

if r15 turns out badly. update Bios, reset the Bios settings. reapply your XMP profile. 

should remove any MCE if its enabled. 

re-do testing. 

Rough ambient temp at the moment is 24°c at time of testing probably 27-30°. Hot as in Sydney Australia. 

7 minutes ago, GoldenLag said:

do sqeuential runs of about 3-4 in a row. (just to be lazy to not install extra stresstest software)

see if it levels out or keeps climbing

After 5 tests temperatures hit 88°c.