Is there a way to make a wired keyboard wireless?

Okjoek

For our HTPC we've got a keyboard we use on our coffee table, but we have a really old USB extension cable running to the PC currently.

Is there some kind of wireless adapter I can just plug into the PC and the end of the keyboard's wire? I would hate to buy a new keyboard when we have plenty of wired ones. I don't care that it would still have the wire either as long as I can have it run under the coffee table and not across the room.

The only adapter I know of to do this is this: http://handheldsci.com/kb/, though I don't know anything about the adapter itself or even the website selling it, so you might want to look into it further.

Other than that, there are a number of videos on youtube of people making wired keyboards wireless, though I don't know anything about the cost and effort involved, so it might not be worth it to you.

Personally I would just buy a new wireless keyboard, but if you can't afford to, or just want the challenge, I can't imagine it would be too hard to make a wired keyboard wireless provided you can get access to the parts and/or equipment you need.

have a look at the Logitech all in one wireless unit...smallish keyboard with a 'scroll pad' on the side - like a laptop scroll pad...they're very handy for an HTPC. They're not that expensive...

Probably won't find because wireless keyboards and mice are cheap, no market for them.

For a keyboard, you could quickly hack something cheaply with a microcontroller and some infrared sensor , to send the keys as if you're pressing on a remote control. Mouse is harder with infrared, you'd need wireless.

The power issue can be worked around by hiding one or two AA or AAA batteries inside or a flat lithium battery with a 30 cents lithium battery charger ic.

• 2 weeks later...

It would be easier, cheaper and have higher quality parts if you simple bought a wireless keyboard.

You could spend more on an adapter then just getting a wireless keyboard.

Rii makes some good small ones for cheap.

image.png.5dbd1117ea0776991a6aac2adc21b142.png Now with RGB

https://www.amazon.com/Keyboard-Rii-Portable-Controller-Rechargeable/dp/B07D2BG6R5/ref=sr_1_6?crid=SDYZ3877PNAG&keywords=rii+mini+wireless+keyboard&qid=1578007027&sprefix=Rii+%2Caps%2C231&sr=8-6

Slayerking92

<Type something witty here>
<Link to some pcpartpicker fantasy build and claim as my own>

Well I was lucky enough to get a free Wireless Keyboard and Mouse with my IBuyPowerPC.  However it drains the hell out of the batteries LOL.  It was one of those cheapo Inland brand keyboard and mouse combo.  Ever since I got the desktop the keyboard drained my batteries so fast.  I personally hate wireless keyboards and mice.

"Whatever happens, happens." - Spike Spiegel

On 12/18/2019 at 4:15 PM, Okjoek said:

For our HTPC we've got a keyboard we use on our coffee table, but we have a really old USB extension cable running to the PC currently.

Is there some kind of wireless adapter I can just plug into the PC and the end of the keyboard's wire? I would hate to buy a new keyboard when we have plenty of wired ones. I don't care that it would still have the wire either as long as I can have it run under the coffee table and not across the room.

for the power you can use a load of batteries or something, i suggest making an 18650 powerbank if you want to do it fully from craft or you could use just a simple 5v portable 5v battery charger for ur phone or something. Outer 2 wires r power on usb 2. 

for the data im sure you can get some sort of esp or bluetooth transmitter circuit transmitting to your pc.

But seriously its not worth the hassle just buy a cheap wireless keyboard lol.