LG OLED C9 and Chroma Subsampling

AManWithPlan

Dear Readers,

I recently installed an LG OLED C9 television and hooked it up via HDMI to my 2080TI. The television is rated at being able to display 4k at 4:4:4 chroma subsampling (uncompressed) @ 60hz.

Unfortunately, I have not been able to get this to work and believe it is a limitation of HDMI 2.0. I have only been able to select 4:2:2 @ 60hz (interestingly the output color format is locked to "limited" as well, with no option for "full").

Anyone else with a C9 been able to get different results? The HDR content looks great, but I do notice compression noise/grain in some films which I have that are over 60GB of information and believe it to be a fault of chroma subsampling.

All my drivers (on TV and computer) are up to date.

Thanks,

Aman

My C8 supports YUV 4:2:2 12 bit but I don't know off the top of my head what my PC is set to.  I believe RGB is limited to 4:2:0 at anything above 8 bit and the C9 should basically be the same when using HDMI 2.0 I think.

Router:  Intel N100 (pfSense) WiFi6: Zyxel NWA210AX (1.7Gbit peak at 160Mhz)
WiFi5: Ubiquiti NanoHD OpenWRT (~500Mbit at 80Mhz) Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, MS510TXPP, GS110EMX
ISPs: Zen Full Fibre 900 (~930Mbit down, 115Mbit up) + Three 5G (~800Mbit down, 115Mbit up)
Upgrading Laptop/Desktop CNVIo WiFi 5 cards to PCIe WiFi6e/7

2 hours ago, Alex Atkin UK said:

My C8 supports YUV 4:2:2 12 bit but I don't know off the top of my head what my PC is set to.  I believe RGB is limited to 4:2:0 at anything above 8 bit and the C9 should basically be the same when using HDMI 2.0 I think.

What is the reason your are pushing 12bit encoded color information if the television can only display 10bits of range (1 billion colors)? Is it because Nvidia's panel only has 12bit as an option?

Also, I am sure you mean YCbCr as that is a digital signal HDMI cables can carry, YUV is analog format and an HDMI cannot carry it.

I am currently stuck on 4:2:2 on my HDMI connection (YCbCr) if I want the full 60hz at 4k. Lowering to 24hz for a movie allows me to select 4:4:4. I just want to confirm this is truly a max until HDMI 2.1 outputs are available on prosumer graphics cards.

1 minute ago, AManWithPlan said:

What is the reason your are pushing 12bit encoded color information if the television can only display 10bits of range (1 billion colors)? Is it because Nvidia's panel only has 12bit as an option?

Also, I am sure you mean YCbCr as that is a digital signal HDMI cables can carry, YUV is analog format and an HDMI cannot carry it.

I am currently stuck on 4:2:2 on my HDMI connection (YCbCr) if I want the full 60hz at 4k. Lowering to 24hz for a movie allows me to select 4:4:4. I just want to confirm this is truly a max until HDMI 2.1 outputs are available on prosumer graphics cards.

Good question, that was just a quick check of the resolution my ShieldTV was using which I believe it chooses to support HDR10 and Dolby Vision.  If you set it to 10 bit, Dolby Vision is disabled.

I'd have to boot into Windows to check the PC.

WiFi5: Ubiquiti NanoHD OpenWRT (~500Mbit at 80Mhz) Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, MS510TXPP, GS110EMX
ISPs: Zen Full Fibre 900 (~930Mbit down, 115Mbit up) + Three 5G (~800Mbit down, 115Mbit up)

3 minutes ago, Alex Atkin UK said:

I'd have to boot into Windows to check the PC.

While you're doing that, side note. Don't games look balls-to-the-wall omegasauce on these beasts?

1 minute ago, AManWithPlan said:

While you're doing that, side note. Don't games look balls-to-the-wall omegasauce on these beasts?

Even without HDR the difference is huge, but with HDR its utterly breathtaking.

Have you tried 1080p 120Hz yet?  I tend to prefer that in a lot of games.  On the C8 you have to force it as a custom resolution (I'm on an RTX 2080), not sure about the C9.

1 minute ago, Alex Atkin UK said:

Have you tried 1080p 120Hz yet?  I tend to prefer that in a lot of games.  On the C8 you have to force it as a custom resolution (I'm on an RTX 2080), not sure about the C9.

I have not yet, I'd probably go with something a bit beefier if the HDMI connection permits. Like a 3200x1800 upscaled to 4k @~100hz, or maybe something slightly below that.

1080P just doesn't have the oomph it did 10 years ago. I've been spoiled by Ultrawide, and now my spoils continue into 4k.

The C9 might have more options (I think Linus had it running 1440p 120Hz in the recent video), but the C8 I'm fairly sure goes straight from 1080p 120Hz to 2160p 60Hz.