Shorted Ram

So while building my first PC, I did a dumb thing. First off,  I had gotten it set up, running and windows installed. While it was running I put a screw in on my MOBO. It instantly froze my PC, I shut it down immediately. But now when I power it on, the MOBO code is “10” or “PEI CORE IS STARTED” and a light pops on indicating a problem with the RAM. Everything lights up and runs but it won’t boot. I tried both sticks by themselves, switched the Order of them and it still fails to boot. But when I plug the ram in and turn it on the LED’s on them still light up. Main question.. Did I short my RAM or is it something even worse?

3 minutes ago, Turbo2399 said:

While it was running I put a screw in on my MOBO. It instantly froze my PC, I shut it down immediately.

you most likely bricked you motherboard

should never do anything to the mobo when its running

4 minutes ago, Turbo2399 said:

Did I short my RAM or is it something even worse?

could be anything, but its probably something really bad

8 minutes ago, amdorintel said:

should never do anything to the mobo when its running

It's amazing how there's always someone who does it, even when the tiniest amount of common sense should tell them not to.

13 minutes ago, Turbo2399 said:

Did I short my RAM or is it something even worse?

The mobo is quite certainly a goner.

Hand, n. A singular instrument worn at the end of the human arm and commonly thrust into somebody’s pocket.

If my MOBO was bricked would anything on it still light up? And show a code?

Snifff ?

CPU:i7 9700k 5047.5Mhz All Cores Mobo: MSI MPG Z390 Gaming Edge AC, RAM:Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB 3200MHz DDR4 OC 3467Mhz GPU:MSI RTX 2070 ARMOR 8GB OC Storage:Samsung SSD 970 EVO NVMe M.2 250GB, 2x SSD ADATA PRO SP900 256GB, HDD WD CB 2TB, HDD GREEN 2TB PSU: Seasonic focus plus 750w Gold Display(s): 1st: LG 27UK650-W, 4K, IPS, HDR10, 10bit(8bit + A-FRC). 2nd: Samsung 24" LED Monitor (SE390), Cooling:Fazn CPU Cooler Aero 120T Push/pull Corsair ML PRO Fans Keyboard: Corsair K95 Platinum RGB mx Rapidfire Mouse:Razer Naga Chroma  Headset: Razer Kraken 7.1 Chroma Sound: Logitech X-540 5.1 Surround Sound Speaker Case: Modded Case Inverted, 5 intake 120mm, one exhaust 120mm.

2 hours ago, Turbo2399 said:

Sure, entirely possible. The mobo getting fried doesn't mean that every single component on it is broken, only that some of it is broken.

Hand, n. A singular instrument worn at the end of the human arm and commonly thrust into somebody’s pocket.

56 minutes ago, SavageNeo said:

4 hours ago, Turbo2399 said:

So while building my first PC, I did a dumb thing. First off,  I had gotten it set up, running and windows installed. While it was running I put a screw in on my MOBO. It instantly froze my PC, I shut it down immediately. But now when I power it on, the MOBO code is “10” or “PEI CORE IS STARTED” and a light pops on indicating a problem with the RAM. Everything lights up and runs but it won’t boot. I tried both sticks by themselves, switched the Order of them and it still fails to boot. But when I plug the ram in and turn it on the LED’s on them still light up. Main question.. Did I short my RAM or is it something even worse?

You probably killed the RAM or one of the slots.

Good luck on contacting the store/manufacturer to get a repair quote from them. Or just replace it.

If you are extremely lucky, your insurer may cover some of this silly behavior.

Edited by LogicalDrm
Some content removed

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

41 minutes ago, SavageNeo said:

3 hours ago, Turbo2399 said:

Depends on how it is bricked. If the RAM slots are not working, it would likely do the same thing as having no RAM installed; meaning you should get a RAM error at best.

It could also be a fail-safe. "I don't see any RAM slots, so let's not turn on".

Edited by LogicalDrm
Some content removed

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

10 hours ago, WereCatf said:

It's amazing how there's always someone who does it, even when the tiniest amount of common sense should tell them not to.

The mobo is quite certainly a goner.

What’s even worse is I didn’t even know i shouldn’t do that. But a 500$ mistake really made me learn my lesson. 

could try to unplug it all and remove cmos battery let it sit for like hour with no power. possible could be a re settable fuse kicked in i know some boards have those my old one did it wouldnt work so i removed it all for an hour and worked again (not saying this would be the case but could be another point to check first)

48 minutes ago, Giffany said:

could try to unplug it all and remove cmos battery let it sit for like hour with no power. possible could be a re settable fuse kicked in i know some boards have those my old one did it wouldnt work so i removed it all for an hour and worked again (not saying this would be the case but could be another point to check first)

I’ll try that and let you know what happens ??

8 hours ago, Giffany said:

8 hours ago, Turbo2399 said:

I’ll try that and let you know what happens ??

No good but I appreciate the help though 

40 minutes ago, Turbo2399 said:

No good but I appreciate the help though 

aw sorry it didn't but hey i thought it was worth a go since i had a similar issue at one point. hopefully can get it replaced easy though.

??? that’s very expensive lesson my friend. Sorry to hear that.

@Whiro tag or quote will do the trick 
i5 3570K @ 4.7Ghz  |  AsRock Fatal1ty Z77 Performance  |  Corsair Vengeance 16GB 1600MHz  |  ASUS Strix GTX 970 OC  |  Phanteks P400S TG  (mesh panel) |  EVGA 500W1  |  Storage: Corsair 60GB SSD (boot), Gigabyte 120GB SSD, WD 2Tb HDD | Cooling: Custom loop

EKWB EK-XRES 140 Revo D5 RGB PWM

EKWB EK Supremacy Evo , naked die

EKWB EK Thermosphere 

EKWB EK CoolStream PE 360

EKWB EK Coolstream SE 120

EKWB EK Vardar 120s  x6

EKWB EK STC Classic 10/16  x10

EKWB EK DuraClear Tubing 16/10

EKWB EK CryoFuel Acid Green

Laptop: Gigabyte G5-KC | i5 10500H | RTX 3060

WHIRO

THE FIRST OF DEATH AND DARKNESS

He feast on the dead to inherit their power

6 hours ago, Whiro said:

??? that’s very expensive lesson my friend. Sorry to hear that.

Bigger the mistake, the better the lesson ??‍♂️

Given the memory controller is actually in the CPU, lets hope its not actually that thats dead!

12 hours ago, Aragorn- said:

Given the memory controller is actually in the CPU, lets hope its not actually that thats dead!

Don’t scare me like that man. The light on the motherboard for CPU isn’t lit so I’m gonna hope that nothing is wrong with it 

it was the CPU and RAM that were fried, I was able to trouble-shoot each part and I am now typing this my (now) working PC. I have definitely learned my lesson.

On 12/18/2019 at 2:29 AM, Aragorn- said:

dead on