2080 super power requirements

Quivz

So i bought a 240hz monitor at black friday sales (hasn't arrived yet. Dell sent me an e-mail to say its delayed. Not ideal, but i give them credit for the immediate communication when the problem occurred). Then i bought Shadow of the Tomb Raider and played with the benchmarks.And i discovered that despite the age of my CPU (fx8350) i'm still far more bottlenecked by my GPU (1060 6G). So i sprung for a 2080 super to pump dem frames (should arrive later today or tomorrow). But now i'm a little concerned about whether my 650 watts is going to be enough? I've read that Nvidia recommends 650w as a minimum, but others say thats just being overly cautious and 550w is sufficient. My concern is that the 8350 was a power hungry CPU and the 650 recommendation is more in line with modern CPUs that are less power hungry. I checked on a few power checker websites and they all seem to say 600 - 650 should be fine, but I know they can be off by a bit. I also run 2 SSDs and 2 HDDs, but I'll be willing to take the HDDs out and get a dock for them instead. So does anyone have any idea whether I'm gonna have to get a new PSU when this thing turns up, or am i gonna be okay?

TL:DR

Is 650 watt PSU sufficient for an AMD fx8350, 2 SSDs, 2HDDs and a 2080 super?

What model is the PSU?

PSU Nerd | PC Parts Flipper | Cable Management Guru

Helpful Links: PSU Tier List | Why not group reg? | Avoid the EVGA G3

Helios EVO (Main Desktop) Intel Core™ i9-10900KF | 32GB DDR4-3000 | GIGABYTE Z590 AORUS ELITE | GeForce RTX 3060 Ti | NZXT H510 | EVGA G5 650W

Delta (Laptop) | Galaxy S21 Ultra | Pacific Spirit XT (Server)

Full Specs

Spoiler

Helios EVO (Main):

Intel Core™ i9-10900KF | 32GB G.Skill Ripjaws V / Team T-Force DDR4-3000 | GIGABYTE Z590 AORUS ELITE | MSI GAMING X GeForce RTX 3060 Ti 8GB GPU | NZXT H510 | EVGA G5 650W | MasterLiquid ML240L | 2x 2TB HDD | 256GB SX6000 Pro SSD | 3x Corsair SP120 RGB | Fractal Design Venturi HF-14

Pacific Spirit XT - Server

Intel Core™ i7-8700K (Won at LTX, signed by Dennis) | GIGABYTE Z370 AORUS GAMING 5 | 16GB Team Vulcan DDR4-3000 | Intel UrfpsgonHD 630 | Define C TG | Corsair CX450M

Delta - Laptop

ASUS TUF Dash F15 - Intel Core™ i7-11370H | 16GB DDR4 | RTX 3060 | 500GB NVMe SSD | 200W Brick | 65W USB-PD Charger

Intel is bringing DDR4 to the mainstream with the Intel® Core™ i5 6600K and i7 6700K processors. Learn more by clicking the link in the description below.

3 minutes ago, LienusLateTips said:

What model is the PSU?

Oh yes, forgot about that. Corsair RM650.

650 is more than enough.

Image result for 2080 super power

You would be fine with a 500W PSU.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

Worst case add 100W to chart above because the Piledriver and Bulldozer CPUs are power hogs, another 40w if you are paranoid for the SSD/HDDs, 650w should still be more then fine.  After you get the 2080S and find some more spare money do consider a basic CPU upgrade though, you are probably gonna be pretty bottlenecked if playing at lower settings trying to make most of 240hz panel, CPU is specifically more important at low details (or older game) high frames then it is at say high resolution with max graphics settings. 

If you are just playing Rocket League, CSGO, maybe even Apex you will probably be fine, but with COD, BF, PUBG, Tarkov etc etc they really take advantage of more modern CPUs

30 minutes ago, Quivz said:

650w is acceptable. The sytem would likely run on 550w, but not on 500.

The peak powerdraw of a fully turbo 2080 super is around 260W, combine that with the power load of the 8350, around 190-200W and all your peripherals and various internal components and monitors, and you wind up somewhere around peak system load of 480-520.

So once again, 550W would work, 650W is more than enough. The RM650W is a solid powersupply too, so shouldnt pose a worry. I run my system with a 2080 super and a rm750, but only because i have storage, peripherals and monitors out the rear end.

Updated 2021 Desktop || 3700x || Asus x570 Tuf Gaming || 32gb Predator 3200mhz || 2080s XC Ultra || MSI 1440p144hz || DT990 + HD660 || GoXLR + ifi Zen Can || Avermedia Livestreamer 513 ||

New Home Dedicated Game Server || Xeon E5 2630Lv3 || 16gb 2333mhz ddr4 ECC || 2tb Sata SSD || 8tb Nas HDD || Radeon 6450 1g display adapter ||

The FX8350 reportedly can get to almost 240watts, and since it is (will be by tomorrow) my worst component i expect to see it running at or near 100% a lot when gaming.

I was going to do Case, mobo and CPU, right up until i ran some benchmarks and decided graphics were holding me back more. After Christmas (probably early feb) I'll be getting a 3800x or maybe a 3900x.

19 minutes ago, Otto_iii said:

If you are just playing Rocket League, CSGO, maybe even Apex you will probably be fine, but with COD, BF, PUBG, Tarkov etc etc they really take advantage of more modern CPUs

Amusingly i play none of those games :) ... ARK, Conan Exiles, Borderlands 3, Outer Worlds, Far Cry 5 or New Dawn, Planet Zoo, Oxygen not included, Anno are more my kind of games. Im aware that the management sims would have benefited more from the CPU, but they are also the games where I'm less interested in FPS and prettiness is preferable, so long as it doesn't run like a slideshow. And like i said The CPU upgrade is on the cards, but i went with the GPU first to justify the high refresh rate monitor. The plan is to have a new CPU and NVME SSDs by the time Cyberpunk drops. Also i play minecraft on and off all the time and i wanted to play that with raytracing for the PC master race nose rubbing i'm going to want to do to my console peers.

1 hour ago, Quivz said:

I'm assuming it's the old version. Since you'll be replacing the CPU too, I'd personally change it to something newer, although it's really optional. It'll work even with a 3900X.

PSU Nerd | PC Parts Flipper | Cable Management Guru

Helpful Links: PSU Tier List | Why not group reg? | Avoid the EVGA G3

Helios EVO (Main Desktop) Intel Core™ i9-10900KF | 32GB DDR4-3000 | GIGABYTE Z590 AORUS ELITE | GeForce RTX 3060 Ti | NZXT H510 | EVGA G5 650W

Delta (Laptop) | Galaxy S21 Ultra | Pacific Spirit XT (Server)

Full Specs

Spoiler

Helios EVO (Main):

Intel Core™ i9-10900KF | 32GB G.Skill Ripjaws V / Team T-Force DDR4-3000 | GIGABYTE Z590 AORUS ELITE | MSI GAMING X GeForce RTX 3060 Ti 8GB GPU | NZXT H510 | EVGA G5 650W | MasterLiquid ML240L | 2x 2TB HDD | 256GB SX6000 Pro SSD | 3x Corsair SP120 RGB | Fractal Design Venturi HF-14

Pacific Spirit XT - Server

Intel Core™ i7-8700K (Won at LTX, signed by Dennis) | GIGABYTE Z370 AORUS GAMING 5 | 16GB Team Vulcan DDR4-3000 | Intel UrfpsgonHD 630 | Define C TG | Corsair CX450M

Delta - Laptop

ASUS TUF Dash F15 - Intel Core™ i7-11370H | 16GB DDR4 | RTX 3060 | 500GB NVMe SSD | 200W Brick | 65W USB-PD Charger

Intel is bringing DDR4 to the mainstream with the Intel® Core™ i5 6600K and i7 6700K processors. Learn more by clicking the link in the description below.

Borderlands 3 and Far Cry series, and Anno (fps not a big deal, like you said) you may wish to have a better CPU, not sure with other games.  I'm sure you'll see a decent gain regardless, and worst case you get to see a big example of how nice it is to upgrade a CPU eventually. 

Kinda OT but just worth noting, later down line if you need a bit more FPS for whatever reason keep in mind the 2080 Super gains pretty big margins from memory overclocking, from the factory the GDDR6 is massively underclocked. 

Spoiler