Mantle vs DX11 Looks and Performance on my PC

Arwinnd
Go to solution Solved by Arwinnd,

Now it is repaired. Mantle looks for me exactly the same as DX11 and has more fps. So now it is worth it. 

Hi. I own: i5 750 @ 3.8 GHz, MSI P55 GD65, 8GB 1600 MHz CL9 RAM, HDD, MSI HD7950 OC TF3 BE, OCZ MODXSTREAM 600W, 27 inch monitor.

I will show you screenshots of game with the same settings on mantle, and on DX 11 with FPS capture in the top right corner.

Rainy Weather:

MANTLE

QvT8fTo.jpg

DX11

JwOZae5.jpg

Sunny Weather

Mantle

NxnrHX5.jpg

DX11

TTfxABH.jpg

As you can see, on my pc, there is 6 fps difference. In looks there is weird kinda fog with mantle, and more gray colors, as oppose to DX11 where colors are much more saturated. You can look at the clouds too, which on DX11 are really good looking, and on Mantle they are blurry and not separated and the sky is like white mass.

For now I think Mantle is useless for me. 

Sorry for my English. 

That is why people get better FPS is because the graphics are not as good :)

Hope I could help!

Specs: CPU: AMD FX-8320 @4.0ghz GPU: ASUS DCUII GTX 770 PSU: EVGA Supernova 750g CASE: Fractal Define R4 RAM: 8 Gigabytes ADATA 1333 Mhz MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-990FXA-UD3

Yeah, remember it's still in beta. Johan Andersson from DICE already admitted that this is a rendering bug and not Mantle's problem, It'll get fixed and it will not affect performance.

I'm confused on how fixing the graphics won't impact FPS, :o

Stuff:  i7 7700k @ (dat nibba succ) | ASRock Z170M OC Formula | G.Skill TridentZ 3600 c16 | EKWB 1080 @ 2100 mhz  |  Acer X34 Predator | R4 | EVGA 1000 P2 | 1080mm Radiator Custom Loop | HD800 + Audio-GD NFB-11 | 850 Evo 1TB | 840 Pro 256GB | 3TB WD Blue | 2TB Barracuda

Hwbot: http://hwbot.org/user/lays/ 

FireStrike 980 ti @ 1800 Mhz http://hwbot.org/submission/3183338 http://www.3dmark.com/3dm/11574089

As you can see, on my pc, there is 6 fps difference. In looks there is weird kinda fog with mantle, and more gray colors, as oppose to DX11 where colors are much more saturated. You can look at the clouds too, which on DX11 are really good looking, and on Mantle they are blurry and not separated and the sky is like white mass.

For now I think Mantle is useless for me. . 

Question, when you switched the API to Mantle, did you or did you not restart the game? If you haven't, you better do it. Simply changing the API in the menu will NOT activate it. That being said, it's not nesaarliy true that you will get a significant improvement. I got 12 frames extra (24%) which is pretty good.

I'm confused on how fixing the graphics won't impact FPS, :o

"Fixing the graphics" may not necessarily change the amount of work the computer has to do if it is a bug.

[spoiler=My Current PC]AMD FX-8320 @ 4.2 Ghz | Xigmatek Dark Knight Night Hawk II | Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD3 | 8GB Adata XPG V2 Silver 1600 Mhz RAM | Gigabyte 3X Windforce GTX 770 4GB @ 1.27 Ghz/7.25 Ghz | Rosewill Hive 550W Bronze PSU | Fractal Design Arc Midi R2 | Samsung Evo 250 GB SSD | Seagate Barracuda 1TB HDD | ASUS VS239H-P | Razer Deathadder 2013 Partlist

LTT Build-Off Thread: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/35226-the-ltt-build-off-thread-no-building-required/

Question, when you switched the API to Mantle, did you or did you not restart the game? If you haven't, you better do it. Simply changing the API in the menu will NOT activate it. That being said, it's not nesaarliy true that you will get a significant improvement. I got 12 frames extra (24%) which is pretty good.

Ofcourse I did... pfff wtf... You can see the difference in looks on photos... pff...

Ofcourse I did... pfff wtf... You can see the difference in looks on photos... pff...

Well pff wtf I have seen people do this mistake. Then their FPS goes up and down a bit (the margin of error) and they think that's because they actually changed the API, so I just wanted to make sure you didn't do the same thing.

dat attitude.

I'm gonna try out Mantle and see if there is much performance gain on my machine.

Old shit no one cares about but me.

Well pff wtf I have seen people do this mistake. Then their FPS goes up and down a bit (the margin of error) and they think that's because they actually changed the API, so I just wanted to make sure you didn't do the same thing.

This is an established issue.

There are also lots of other issues too. From what I recall, Minecraft displays no textures whatsoever for a lot of users who have Mantle installed...

"Be excellent to each other" - Bill and Ted
Community Standards | Guides & Tutorials | Members of Staff

Is it just me or does your mouse spaz up or down in game every 10 seconds or so. Kinda makes it unplayable, So I guess I won't see how it runs on my computer until I figure out whatever the hell is causing that.

This is an established issue.

There are also lots of other issues too. From what I recall, Minecraft displays no textures whatsoever for a lot of users who have Mantle installed...

It's not an "established issue" it's just a thing. Like many other programs, sometimes when you change something significant you have to restart. As for Minecraft, I got that issue as well. I'm not sure how it relates to Mantle since (as far as I know) Minecraft uses OpenGL as an API. In any case, it's not that big of deal to me personally since I don't play Minecraft at all these days, but I do hope this issue is addressed by AMD (when the non-beta drivers come out) and/or Mojang for the sake of other Minecraft players.

It's not an "established issue" it's just a thing. Like many other programs, sometimes when you change something significant you have to restart. As for Minecraft, I got that issue as well. I'm not sure how it relates to Mantle since (as far as I know) Minecraft uses OpenGL as an API. In any case, it's not that big of deal to me personally since I don't play Minecraft at all these days, but I do hope this issue is addressed by AMD (when the non-beta drivers come out) and/or Mojang for the sake of other Minecraft players.

DICE themselves have confirmed it to be an issue and have stated that they are working on it. It is an established and very much prevalent issue.

"Be excellent to each other" - Bill and Ted
Community Standards | Guides & Tutorials | Members of Staff

DICE themselves have confirmed it to be an issue and have stated that they are working on it. It is an established and very much prevalent issue.

Having to restart a program after a significant change now qualifies as an issue? Hmmm. When and where did they talk about this?

Having to restart a program after a significant change now qualifies as an issue? Hmmm. When and where did they talk about this?

I'm pretty sure he's talking about the fog and the minecraft stuff.

I'm pretty sure he's talking about the fog and the minecraft stuff.

He said DICE, not Mojang.

He said DICE, not Mojang.

I don't think this has anything to do with Mojang.

More like Dice and AMD are messing other people's stuff up :P

I don't think this has anything to do with Mojang.

More like Dice and AMD are messing other people's stuff up :P

Whatever.

Issues: Minecraft and (I guess) the fog in Battlefield.

Not an issue: restarting after changing the API.

That is why people get better FPS is because the graphics are not as good :)

No, no its not. It has nothing to do with the performance increase. Even DICE said this themselves. They said that the washed out colours etc is their fault not mantles fault or AMD's fault. The better performance is due to the fact that Mantle is better integrated with AMD graphics cards.

System Specs:

CPU: Ryzen 7 5800X

GPU: Radeon RX 7900 XT 

RAM: 32GB 3600MHz

HDD: 1TB Sabrent NVMe -  WD 1TB Black - WD 2TB Green -  WD 4TB Blue

MB: Gigabyte  B550 Gaming X- RGB Disabled

PSU: Corsair RM850x 80 Plus Gold

Case: BeQuiet! Silent Base 801 Black

Cooler: Noctua NH-DH15

No, no its not. It has nothing to do with the performance increase. Even DICE said this themselves. They said that the washed out colours etc is their fault not mantles fault or AMD's fault. The better performance is due to the fact that Mantle is better integrated with AMD graphics cards.

So if the graphics looked the exact same your saying that the FPS would still be the same increase? I beg to differ

Hope I could help!

Specs: CPU: AMD FX-8320 @4.0ghz GPU: ASUS DCUII GTX 770 PSU: EVGA Supernova 750g CASE: Fractal Define R4 RAM: 8 Gigabytes ADATA 1333 Mhz MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-990FXA-UD3

So if the graphics looked the exact same your saying that the FPS would still be the same increase? I beg to differ

Mantle-BUg.png

http://www.extremetech.com/gaming/175998-battlefield-4-amds-mantle-causes-washed-out-foggy-graphics-compared-to-directx

System Specs:

CPU: Ryzen 7 5800X

GPU: Radeon RX 7900 XT 

RAM: 32GB 3600MHz

HDD: 1TB Sabrent NVMe -  WD 1TB Black - WD 2TB Green -  WD 4TB Blue

MB: Gigabyte  B550 Gaming X- RGB Disabled

PSU: Corsair RM850x 80 Plus Gold

Case: BeQuiet! Silent Base 801 Black

Cooler: Noctua NH-DH15

Star Swarm Benchmark proves Mantle's worth, who cares about this graphics bug in BF4.

Star Swarm Benchmark proves Mantle's worth, who cares about this graphics bug in BF4.

a Benchmark for mantle makes mantle look good. duh.

My First Build

-Intel i7-4770K -Msi Nvidia GeForce GTX 770 2GB -MsiZ87 GD65 -G.Skill Sniper 8GB 1866Mhz -NZXT Phantom 530 White -128GB Sandisk SSD -2TB Western Digital 7200RPM -21.5" Acer IPS Display -SIDEWINDER X4 Keyboard

-Razer DeathAdder 2013 -Logitech G930 -ALTEC LANSING MULTIMEDIA Dual Speaker System (Legacy)