windows 7 support

winkawak

With support of windows 7 coming to an end, is there a way to upgrade to windows 10 keeping all my current data like installed programs,personal file..etc?

If i chose not to upgrade is there anything i can do for security risk other than antivirus software?

57 minutes ago, nerdslayer1 said:

Use Media Creation Tool.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A5N_RsrdXEY

Just do it, its not bad as everyone says, Windows 10 bring more than just security. 

I have multiple hdd full of programs,games,movies,music..etc this software will back it all up and upgrade my windows to 10? Whats the success rate on transferring all my data? I cant risk losing any

1 minute ago, winkawak said:

I have multiple hdd full of programs,games,movies,music..etc this software will back it all up and upgrade my windows to 10? Whats the success rate on transferring all my data? I cant risk losing any

As long as you don't choose the option to delete your date, it shouldn't even touch it. Even more so if said data is on separate hard drives.

I'd say the success rate is as good as can good on a clean version of Windows 7... And decrease overtime with updates and if you use "registry cleaning" softwares (Placebo uselessware)

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700x / GPU: Asus Radeon RX 6750XT OC 12GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3200
MOBO: MSI B450m Gaming Plus / NVME: Corsair MP510 240GB / Case: TT Core v21 / PSU: Seasonic 750W / OS: Win 10 Pro

4 minutes ago, Caroline said:

FYI your computer won't become useless the second support ends.

The best way is to backup everything and then doing a clean install, OS on top of an older OS isn't adviceable.

I know but all the talk about operating system security becoming vulnerable for hackers. I wish i can simply back up. I got alot of programs and games installed over 4tb. It would literally takes me weeks. 

a clean install of windows 10 is the only way to go

but you can still use windows 7 well into 2025 and beyond!

If you're super concerned about losing data, move all your personal files and programs off the drive that contains the OS, unplug everything but the OS drive and install windows 10. All your files literally cannot be touched in anyway and should be safe from user error accidentally formatting the wrong drive. The only thing you might run into is some programs will need to be reinstalled to create new registry entries.

🌲🌲🌲

◒ ◒ 

You have multiple hdd drives, so just disconnect them, install Windows and connect them again. Files are files, the same in win 7, 8, vista, 10 etc.

About files on your main drive (and programs) - you can try to made upgrade, why not. If you'll be not happy with result, you can always made clean install.

On 12/9/2019 at 3:05 AM, amdorintel said:

a clean install of windows 10 is the only way to go

but you can still use windows 7 well into 2025 and beyond!

Support for Windows 7 ends on 14th January 2020

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X | CPU Cooler: Stock AMD Cooler | Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX B550-F GAMING (WI-FI) | RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3000 CL16 | GPU: Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB Zotac Mini | Case: K280 Case | PSU: Cooler Master B600 Power supply | SSD: 1TB  | HDDs: 1x 250GB & 1x 1TB WD Blue | Monitors: 24" Acer S240HLBID + 24" Samsung  | OS: Win 10 Pro

Audio: Behringer Q802USB Xenyx 8 Input Mixer |  U-PHORIA UMC204HD | Behringer XM8500 Dynamic Cardioid Vocal Microphone | Sound Blaster Audigy Fx PCI-E card.

Home Lab:  Lenovo ThinkCenter M82 ESXi 6.7 | Lenovo M93 Tiny Exchange 2019 | TP-LINK TL-SG1024D 24-Port Gigabit | Cisco ASA 5506 firewall  | Cisco Catalyst 3750 Gigabit Switch | Cisco 2960C-LL | HP MicroServer G8 NAS | Custom built SCCM Server.

On 12/8/2019 at 8:44 PM, nerdslayer1 said:

its not bad as everyone says, Windows 10 bring more than just security

THIS! Windows 10 has many great features and it brings some speed, too! You can choose to keep with win7, but it's your loss.

Core i7-3770, GTX 1060, 16GB RAM, 128GB SSD, 4TB HDD
MintyCMS

On 12/8/2019 at 9:42 PM, winkawak said:

Back your stuff up before upgrading.

·Ï¢årµ§·

i7 4790k · 32GB Kingston HyperX · MSI Gaming 5 · ... · 30" HP ZR30W + 27" Samsung 275T · 2x240GB Intel 530 in Raid 0 + 2x1TB Crucial MX500 · Lain-Li X2000F · Antec Signature SG-850 · BeQuiet! Dark Rock 3 Pro · Logitech Z5500 · Win10pro 64bit

4 hours ago, Abdul201588 said:

Support for Windows 7 ends on 14th January 2020

You can use Windows 7 well into 2050 if need be!

Not like W7 will stop working come Jan 14, 2020

End of Microsoft support - yes. End of all support - no. AV soft, firewalls, browsers, most of games will still works. And forums like this one with nice support will still exists. :)

On 12/9/2019 at 3:42 AM, winkawak said:

It will not backup anything, just leave it in place. 

But YOU want to back it all up in case it goes wrong, and... since you ALWAYS want a backup, upgrade or not, or you can lose everything at any time from a hardware failure, virus/ransomware, accidental deletion,...

If you "can't risk losing any" I would hope you already have 2 backups of all of it.

F@H
Desktop: i9-13900K, ASUS Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-6000 CL36, RTX3080, 2TB MP600 Pro XT, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Antec Vortex 360 AIO, Thermaltake Versa H25 TG, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

Asus Zenbook UM325UA, Ryzen 7 5700u, 16GB, 1TB, OLED

GPD Win 2

In most cases you can use the Win7 key and you get a fully activated copy of Win10 proportional to the version of 7 you were running. For Free.

Seriously, Microsoft *really* wants everyone on 10.

On 12/8/2019 at 8:28 PM, winkawak said:

With support of windows 7 coming to an end, is there a way to upgrade to windows 10 keeping all my current data like installed programs,personal file..etc?

If i chose not to upgrade is there anything i can do for security risk other than antivirus software?

You can do an inplace upgrade. The first step is backing up all your data. Because there is always a chance that the upgrade will go sideways and will fuck you over. I myself have not had the best luck with Windows 10. When I did the inplace upgrade parts of Windows 10 were broken. Though the OS, did function for the most part. Mainly One Drive intergration of broken for me. If you choose not to upgrade then you put yourself at risk for virus's and ransomeware. Also eventually software will stop supporting WIndows 7 entirely. 

My advice to you if you want to do this properly is to move all your data to an external/secondary drive. Reformat and install Windows 10 properly. Now this does mean loosing programs that are installed, meaning they will have to be reinstalled, but inplace upgrades with Windows have always been iffy at best. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

When upgrading Windows to 10 there is option to keep current files, at least as I remember

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry for bringing up old thread, if i was going to backup  all my hdd. Does it mean im going to need to clone all my hdd in case things dont work out i can just plug in the clone drive and revert back to windows7?

Lets say after i upgraded to w10 and found out alot of my programs or games stop functioning, can i plug in my clone os ssd and will it revert me back to w7(will key still work)?

40 minutes ago, winkawak said:

Sorry for bringing up old thread, if i was going to backup  all my hdd. Does it mean im going to need to clone all my hdd in case things dont work out i can just plug in the clone drive and revert back to windows7?

Lets say after i upgraded to w10 and found out alot of my programs or games stop functioning, can i plug in my clone os ssd and will it revert me back to w7(will key still work)?

Your best bet is to back up your data. And then do a reformat and install WIndows 10 from scratch. Then install of your software over and copy your data back. I think once a key is converted its converted, though Im not 100% sure on that. 

But technically if you clone your current drive and have issue, yes you can reclone and it should work. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn.