Graphics card question

Brandon Beckius

How does not meeting amp requirements  for a graphics card affect it, i have a 240w pcu, can i run a sapphire hd 7850 with it?

Wattage "requirements" listed on the product page are suggestions more than anything. What's more important about a PSU is that it's decent enough to run a system you care about. An HD 7850 isn't a very power hungry card.

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

13 minutes ago, Brandon Beckius said:

How does not meeting amp requirements  for a graphics card affect it, i have a 240w pcu, can i run a sapphire hd 7850 with it?

Extremely underrated power supplies can cause instability in components, and could possibly damage the power supply.

More than likely no permanent physical damage would be done to anything if you only run a too-small PSU for a short period of time, except that you may experience a head crash if you are using a hard disk.

However, your software and/or files could be damaged, including your OS installation. If the PSU is completely unable to keep up, you can experience RAM instability, which might lead to a corruption of OS files. This is very hard to diagnose, and can be devastating, leaving your computer essentially unusable until you install a new OS. Your processor might also be experiencing severe instability, and produce erroneous output, which could also corrupt OS files or other software/data.

Bear in mind, however, that these examples are quite extreme and would require a very underpowered or unstable power supply before they are likely to occur.

It would help us if we knew more about your machine than just the graphics card:

• What processor are you using?
  • How much RAM are you using?
  • Liquid or air cooled?
  • RGB?
  • How many SSDs/HDDs do you have connected?
  • Are there any other expansion cards?
  • Are any external components being powered by the computer?

ENCRYPTION IS NOT A CRIME

1 hour ago, straight_stewie said:

Extremely underrated power supplies can cause instability in components, and could possibly damage the power supply.

More than likely no permanent physical damage would be done to anything if you only run a too-small PSU for a short period of time, except that you may experience a head crash if you are using a hard disk.

However, your software and/or files could be damaged, including your OS installation. If the PSU is completely unable to keep up, you can experience RAM instability, which might lead to a corruption of OS files. This is very hard to diagnose, and can be devastating, leaving your computer essentially unusable until you install a new OS. Your processor might also be experiencing severe instability, and produce erroneous output, which could also corrupt OS files or other software/data.

Bear in mind, however, that these examples are quite extreme and would require a very underpowered or unstable power supply before they are likely to occur.

It would help us if we knew more about your machine than just the graphics card:

• What processor are you using?
  • How much RAM are you using?
  • Liquid or air cooled?
  • RGB?
  • How many SSDs/HDDs do you have connected?
  • Are there any other expansion cards?
  • Are any external components being powered by the computer?

I have a Intel core i5 4500 

I want to use a sapphire hd 7850

My computer has 32 gb ram 

No rgb 

No other expansions 

One ssd 

And air cooled 

23 minutes ago, Brandon Beckius said:

No rgb 

No other expansions 

One ssd 

And air cooled 

I would recommend a 350 watt power supply.

ENCRYPTION IS NOT A CRIME

1 minute ago, straight_stewie said:

I would recommend a 350 watt power supply.

that makes it way easier to find stuff now, but can i ask how you figured that out?

26 minutes ago, Brandon Beckius said:

No rgb 

No other expansions 

One ssd 

And air cooled 

oem pc like dell hp acer

Just now, amdorintel said:

oem pc like dell hp acer

its a dell optiplex 7010 sff

3 minutes ago, Brandon Beckius said:

its a dell optiplex 7010 sff

its a proprietary psu

meaning you cant just plug in a cmx 350W even if the size was right, because the cables are different.

you'd have to find a dell psu that is higher wattage made for the optiplex 7010 sff

you are not shit outta luck though, because you can hook up an aftermarket psu to the dell, it just takes some soldering skills. you maybe able to find a conversion kit, but they are rare to find, if any.

you could also maybe just hook up the gpu to a separate psu.

https://www.amazon.com/Genuine-Optiplex-Switching-L275AM-00-Precision/dp/B07CNDVJ7F/ref=sr_1_7?keywords=optiplex+7010+power+supply&qid=1575856424&sr=8-7

1 minute ago, amdorintel said:

its a proprietary psu

meaning you cant just plug in a cmx 350W even if the size was right, because the cables are different.

I once found dell optiplex 7010 power supplies that had more than the original amperage, but ive since lost the website, ive been looking for it. 

7 minutes ago, Brandon Beckius said:

I once found dell optiplex 7010 power supplies that had more than the original amperage, but ive since lost the website, ive been looking for it. 

yeah i mean the dell still uses all the regular voltages and such, its just the connectors are different.

like i said i've run into custom adapters online, I have a oem hp and wanted to use gtx 650 gpu.

i will see what i can find.

something like this

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/24Pin-ATX-to-Mini-24-pin-Power-Supply-Cable-Adapter-for-DELL-980-780-760-960-PC-/401084053621

gotta realize though your new aftermarket psu will most likely not fit inside your oem case.

use search term ATX POWER ADAPTER and have a look

again something similar

https://www.ebay.com/itm/282232756064