B450 motherboards and 128Gb ram.

Hi people, i am interested in a change for my actual machine (Core I5 2500 32Gb ram) , i am searching for a new machine, specifically a Ryzen 5 3600 with a B450 Motherboard, someone has tested some B450 motherboard with 128Gb of ram?, i am not interested in gaming, at all, i am a programmer and i don't need a gaming focused motherboard, just a machine to use Visual Studio , Android Studio and sometimes video edition.

I know that X570 accepts 128Gb of ram, but the good ones are very expensive in my country (Uruguay).

Thanks in advance.

128GB of memory sounds awfully overkill for anything that can be achieved with a R5 3600, have you ever realistically used/required more than 64GB?

Personal Desktop":

CPU: Intel Core i7 10700K @5ghz |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock Pro 4 |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Z490UD ATX|~| RAM: 16gb DDR4 3333mhzCL16 G.Skill Trident Z |~| GPU: RX 6900XT Sapphire Nitro+ |~| PSU: Corsair TX650M 80Plus Gold |~| Boot:  SSD WD Green M.2 2280 240GB |~| Storage: 1x3TB HDD 7200rpm Seagate Barracuda + SanDisk Ultra 3D 1TB |~| Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini |~| Display: Toshiba UL7A 4K/60hz |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro.

Luna, the temporary Desktop:

CPU: AMD R9 7950XT  |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock 4 Pro |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Aorus Master |~| RAM: 32G Kingston HyperX |~| GPU: AMD Radeon RX 7900XTX (Reference) |~| PSU: Corsair HX1000 80+ Platinum |~| Windows Boot Drive: 2x 512GB (1TB total) Plextor SATA SSD (RAID0 volume) |~| Linux Boot Drive: 500GB Kingston A2000 |~| Storage: 4TB WD Black HDD |~| Case: Cooler Master Silencio S600 |~| Display 1 (leftmost): Eizo (unknown model) 1920x1080 IPS @ 60Hz|~| Display 2 (center): BenQ ZOWIE XL2540 1920x1080 TN @ 240Hz |~| Display 3 (rightmost): Wacom Cintiq Pro 24 3840x2160 IPS @ 60Hz 10-bit |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro (games / art) + Linux (distro: NixOS; programming and daily driver)

6 minutes ago, Enrique Torres said:

someone has tested some B450 motherboard with 128Gb of ram?

Officially all the non-X570 boards list maximum RAM at 64GB.  So I wouldn't take anything to the bank on being able to go past that and have it work well.  If you really can afford 128GB of RAM, you can afford X570, honestly I think that's the way to look at this.

just a machine to use Visual Studio , Android Studio and sometimes video edition.

So why you need 128 GB of RAM then ? 32GB will be a plenty.

Tag or quote me so i see your reply

4 hours ago, Enrique Torres said:

i am a programmer and i don't need a gaming focused motherboard, just a machine to use Visual Studio , Android Studio and sometimes video edition.

Interesting. 

Quick search shows Gigabyte appears to have one board thats approved for 4x 32gb in all 4 slots, but its only for one set of ram

https://download.gigabyte.com/FileList/Memory/mb_memory_x570-aorus-xtreme_matisse_190812.pdf

Which i believe you can find here https://www.crucial.com/usa/en/ct32g4dfd8266
(updated link)
image.thumb.png.f4f802b344e4417c7970ea9ab8d0af69.png

There may be cheaper alternatives but its pretty niche use so not sure how many boards support stuff like this.  This may be the only board and only ram kit approved to work this way for AM4, at the moment. 

Sorry for massive edits, screwed up first time. 

4 hours ago, Juular said:

He said that he will program in it, some algorithm can really suck all the ram in the world.

5 hours ago, Princess Luna said:

128GB of memory sounds awfully overkill for anything that can be achieved with a R5 3600, have you ever realistically used/required more than 64GB?

My computer uses 32Gb ram, sometimes i need more than that and use my partner machine with 64Gb, i work with lots of data and more memory is always welcome, since i am investing in a new machine, i want one that can be expandable without having to buy a more expensive motherboard, i prefer to spend money in ram and processor, i don't even need a good video card.

another answer could be, i need 3 tabs of chrome :)

1 hour ago, Otto_iii said:

Interesting. 

Quick search shows Gigabyte appears to have one board thats approved for 4x 32gb in all 4 slots, but its only for one set of ram

https://download.gigabyte.com/FileList/Memory/mb_memory_x570-aorus-xtreme_matisse_190812.pdf

Which i believe you can find here https://www.crucial.com/usa/en/ct32g4dfd8266
(updated link)
image.thumb.png.f4f802b344e4417c7970ea9ab8d0af69.png

There may be cheaper alternatives but its pretty niche use so not sure how many boards support stuff like this.  This may be the only board and only ram kit approved to work this way for AM4, at the moment. 

Sorry for massive edits, screwed up first time. 

thanks, as far as i know, almost every x570 admits 128Gb of ram (those that have 4 slots for ram), i prefer to spend more on cpu than in the motherboard.

5 hours ago, Juular said:

in the same machine that i use for programming, i use to test some programs that donwload tons of data to ram for analysis, some times i use a machine with 64Gb and reach more than 40Gb of ram used.

5 hours ago, LogicWeasel said:

Officially all the non-X570 boards list maximum RAM at 64GB.  So I wouldn't take anything to the bank on being able to go past that and have it work well.  If you really can afford 128GB of RAM, you can afford X570, honestly I think that's the way to look at this.

i will explain a little, i live in Uruguay, i can buy the ram in USA 4 sticks of 32Gb each, but no more, we have a franchise that we can buy 3 times in USA U$D 200 each time, that ram here could cost more than U$D 1000 easilly, motherboard X570 cost U$D 250 the cheapest one, CPU Ryzen cost the double or triple than the price in USA, that's why i prefer to buy the ram in USA, a cheap motherboard here and the best CPU possible, i don't need any of the features of a x570 and i saw some posts in reddit from people using more than 64Gb in B450 motherboards, thats why i prefer a confirmation if someone has tested it and some data of the parts, if i don't get any info about that, i will have to invest in a good X570 (the medium ones here are 400 and higher), but is an overkill motherboard for my needs.

50 minutes ago, Enrique Torres said:

i will have to invest in a good X570 (the medium ones here are 400 and higher), but is an overkill motherboard

Ok, but since you know that X570 is already overkill why do you not want to get a entry-level X570 so you don't have to spend even more?  Especially since you're not about to run the 16-core CPU or do heavy overclocking, you can get away with the cheapest X570 board and run a Ryzen 5 3600 on it no problem (even OC).  Just get whatever board is on the deepest discount/sale.  Going for a fancier X570 is really just for extreme overclockers, extra addons, or lots of RGB.

Exhibit A:  Mail in Rebate drops the net-cost of this motherboard to $109.99 USD.  The board's VRM has been rated to be able to easily handle even a 3900x (the VRM notable does not suck).

https://pcpartpicker.com/product/RJxbt6/asrock-x570-phantom-gaming-4-atx-am4-motherboard-x570-phantom-gaming-4

Might be of interest, 

He used this motherboard, https://www.msi.com/Motherboard/B450M-MORTAR-TITANIUM

with this ram (CMK64GX4M2A2400C16) https://www.amazon.com/CORSAIR-Vengeance-PC4-19200-Desktop-Memory/dp/B07V4CZ2C4

i think going x570 and getting officially supported ram could end up cheaper, with this we atleast know it works though, if you absolutely have to go b450.  With video editing and studio honestly PCI 4.0 might be nice to have in the future if you move around large file sizes, but i suppose this is a option. 

Well, it's not like entry-level X570 boards are that expensive. At least in US you usually can grab some board like ASRock Phantom 4 \ Pro 4 \ Asus Prime for ~130$. Prices are a bit higher right now after Black Friday \ Cyber Monday but they were lower just before that.

Tag or quote me so i see your reply