Video editing pc

buyit1986

Hello 

I have a friend that does videos for our public access channel of local events. His computer died I've been looking online but since I dont do video editing I'm not sure what he needs i do know his old pc was 15 to 18 years old. He uses Adobe premier for editing anyone who has suggestion it would be helpful 

Thanx 

I would suggest a system with a Ryzen 2600, 16 or 32 GB of memory, and a SSD.

How much is your budget?

Can you assemble the PC yourself or do you want to buy it assembled?

I kinda doubt he's using Premiere on a PC so old. 15 years would make that a Pentium 4 or something like that.

1 hour ago, Chad The Greats said:

Definitely going to want a minimum of 32Gb of ram. Premier will eat that stuff away.  

Well I think he shoots in 1080p and exports in standard definition if that has any impact on it I know one of his cameras is VHS or maybe mini DV

A budget would help.

80+ ratings certify electrical efficiency. Not quality.

15 hours ago, brob said:

A budget would help.

500 to 700 I know it's small but hes lost at this and its outside my general experience I usually only deal with general purpose computers for family and friends the have a could someone give me a base spec so I can try to help him find something that will work 

17 hours ago, mariushm said:

I would suggest a system with a Ryzen 2600, 16 or 32 GB of memory, and a SSD.

How much is your budget?

Can you assemble the PC yourself or do you want to buy it assembled?

I kinda doubt he's using Premiere on a PC so old. 15 years would make that a Pentium 4 or something like that.

He uses Adobe something on his current pc he got it second hand from a tv station so who knows what it is, and he doesnt really do like 4k video or anything it's like at most 480p export and editing from what I understand it's a small operation and he really enjoys doing it for the city band and putting it on the county public access channel 

Here you go, a balanced configuration with lots of room to upgrade to something more powerful in the future:

Very easy to put together, if you want to do it yourself and you never built a computer.

PCPartPicker Part List
Type Item Price
CPU AMD Ryzen 5 3400G 3.7 GHz Quad-Core Processor $139.99 @ Amazon
Motherboard MSI B450-A PRO MAX ATX AM4 Motherboard $99.99 @ B&H
Memory G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3200 Memory $109.99 @ Newegg
Storage Sabrent Rocket 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive $119.98 @ Amazon
Case Cougar MX330 ATX Mid Tower Case $44.00 @ B&H
Power Supply SeaSonic S12III 500 W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply $47.98 @ Newegg
  Prices include shipping, taxes, rebates, and discounts  
  Total (before mail-in rebates) $576.93
  Mail-in rebates -$15.00
  Total $561.93
  Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-12-03 14:47 EST-0500  

3 hours ago, LukeSavenije said:

Is there an advantage to going NVIDIA for a GPU for premiere?  Or just trying to hit that $200 price point so didn't make sense to go RX 580 or so?

40 minutes ago, LogicWeasel said:

Is there an advantage to going NVIDIA for a GPU for premiere?  Or just trying to hit that $200 price point so didn't make sense to go RX 580 or so?

i've generally seen it doing better on CUDA than on openGL. something like Sony Vegas would work perfect with it, but afaik premiere benefits more from going nvidia

I went with integrated graphics because if the guys really still doing SD content, the render will be several times faster than his current computer anyway and a video card is pointless expense, the resolution is too low for a dedicated video card to really accelerate by a significant amount.

Even if he exports to 720p or something like that, it would still be several times better than his existing setup, if it's as OP says.

On 12/4/2019 at 2:06 AM, mariushm said:

I went with integrated graphics because if the guys really still doing SD content, the render will be several times faster than his current computer anyway and a video card is pointless expense, the resolution is too low for a dedicated video card to really accelerate by a significant amount.

Even if he exports to 720p or something like that, it would still be several times better than his existing setup, if it's as OP says.

I havent seen my friend but I'm going to suggest he either buys a refurbished tower or gets a decent spec laptop to do his editing on I have a feeling he may not be upgrade friendly and hes on a tight budget 

1 hour ago, buyit1986 said:

a decent spec laptop to do his editing on

That's a step backwards, laptops are either overpriced or underpowered (or both), and you won't get nearly the same performance per dollar vs a desktop for doing editing work.

1 hour ago, buyit1986 said:

I have a feeling he may not be upgrade friendly and hes on a tight budget 

What do you mean "may not be upgrade friendly"  We're not asking him to befriend a new computer, it just has to work.  If the budget has changed, just tell us how much money we're down to, we can still recommend a good idea or even an eBay refurb if it comes to it.  Something he can snag on the cheap, maybe throw an SSD or low-power GPU in and get back to work.

5 hours ago, LogicWeasel said:

That's a step backwards, laptops are either overpriced or underpowered (or both), and you won't get nearly the same performance per dollar vs a desktop for doing editing work.

What do you mean "may not be upgrade friendly"  We're not asking him to befriend a new computer, it just has to work.  If the budget has changed, just tell us how much money we're down to, we can still recommend a good idea or even an eBay refurb if it comes to it.  Something he can snag on the cheap, maybe throw an SSD or low-power GPU in and get back to work.

Next time I see him I'm gonna ask him what peripherals he needs to use some of his equipment is quite old and see exactly what he needs

• 1 month later...

I have been in video for a very long time and even produced my own TV show for public television as well. lukesavenije has a pretty solid set up for you that can grow with time. Whether you export SD or HD you never want to do that on a dedicated video card. If you burn it out that’s a new board you need to replace rather than an easily replaceable video card. Most video cards are built for the wear and tear video editing will put it through, as apposed to a dedicated which are mainly to support your Color Corrected Monitors. I would also add to the purchase a small internal SSD Hard Drive for your OS and video apps (256 GB). Use the 1TB for work. Always read/write your video projects off of a storage drive to keep the drive with your OS safe. Just some things to think about before you make the buy.