CPU got ripped out of socket

I was switching out my CPU fan and to my horror as I was taking it off, the CPU came with it. I quickly got to work unbending 3-4 pins, seated it back down properly and threw a fan back on it.

I then tried to boot and there was zero response. So then I tried it again, from the top and again the CPU came off with the CPU fan. (SIGH)So I did everything twice, and still no sign of booting

The rbg on the mobo is on so it's recieving power, but this mobo has no diagnostic indicators.

So, which did I break, my CPU or CPU socket?

IMG_20191201_215654_4.jpg

No way to tell :/  my condolences.

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

any broken pins?

CPU: i7-2600K 4751MHz 1.44V (software) --> 1.47V at the back of the socket Motherboard: Asrock Z77 Extreme4 (BCLK: 103.3MHz) CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 RAM: Adata XPG 2x8GB DDR3 (XMP: 2133MHz 10-11-11-30 CR2, custom: 2203MHz 10-11-10-26 CR1 tRFC:230 tREFI:14000) GPU: Asus GTX 1070 Dual (Super Jetstream vbios, +70(2025-2088MHz)/+400(8.8Gbps)) SSD: Samsung 840 Pro 256GB (main boot drive), Transcend SSD370 128GB PSU: Seasonic X-660 80+ Gold Case: Antec P110 Silent, 5 intakes 1 exhaust Monitor: AOC G2460PF 1080p 144Hz (150Hz max w/ DP, 121Hz max w/ HDMI) TN panel Keyboard: Logitech G610 Orion (Cherry MX Blue) with SteelSeries Apex M260 keycaps Mouse: BenQ Zowie FK1

Model: HP Omen 17 17-an110ca CPU: i7-8750H (0.125V core & cache, 50mV SA undervolt) GPU: GTX 1060 6GB Mobile (+80/+450, 1650MHz~1750MHz 0.78V~0.85V) RAM: 8+8GB DDR4-2400 18-17-17-39 2T Storage: HP EX920 1TB PCIe x4 M.2 SSD + Crucial MX500 1TB 2.5" SATA SSD, 128GB Toshiba PCIe x2 M.2 SSD (KBG30ZMV128G) gone cooking externally, 1TB Seagate 7200RPM 2.5" HDD (ST1000LM049-2GH172) left outside Monitor: 1080p 126Hz IPS G-sync

Desktop benching:

Cinebench R15 Single thread:168 Multi-thread: 833 

SuperPi (v1.5 from Techpowerup, PI value output) 16K: 0.100s 1M: 8.255s 32M: 7m 45.93s

You need to twist the cooler and lift it at an angle. Never lift it strait-up. That's why this just happened twice.

My guess is you may have damaged the connection between the pins and the tiny clips in the socket the pins get pinched by. If I had to put my money on what got hurt in the accident it'd be the socket/motherboard. That's assuming none of the pins on the CPU are now falling off/loose.

15 minutes ago, Jameskojiro said:

I then tried to boot and there was zero response. So then I tried it again, from the top and again the CPU came off with the CPU fan. (SIGH)So I did everything twice, and still no sign of booting

Remove the cooler by gently twisting left and right until you feel that it pulled away, and show us the CPU pins

15 minutes ago, Jameskojiro said:

So, which did I break, my CPU or CPU socket?

Very unlikely you ruined an AMD CPU socket

Quote or Tag people so they know that you've replied.

37 minutes ago, Windows7ge said:

You need to twist the cooler and lift it at an angle. Never lift it strait-up. That's why this just happened twice.

My guess is you may have damaged the connection between the pins and the tiny clips in the socket the pins get pinched by. If I had to put my money on what got hurt in the accident it'd be the socket/motherboard. That's assuming none of the pins on the CPU are now falling off/loose.

Can you use hair dryer or heatgun to warm up the thermal paste between the cooler and the amd hs to get it off?

or

Get something like a credit card slide between the cooler and the amd hs to get disconnect the thermal paste?

Yeah, it was the fan I was working with, the brackets made it really difficult to twist. I threw that fan in the box to return, and I put my wraith stealth cooler back on.

So, as instructed I removed the wraith cooler to show you guys my pins, I twisted and everything and the CPU came right up with it again, again, again.

It seems like the bracket has no grip anymore, I'm not sure. But I have been reapplying new thermal paste each time between two different brands.

IMG_20191201_224641_4.jpg

IMG_20191201_224634_3.jpg

IMG_20191201_224553_1.jpg

3 minutes ago, OlympicAssEater said:

Can you use hair dryer or heatgun to warm up the thermal paste between the cooler and the amd hs to get it off?

I think you'd be better off just running a 5min CPU stress test then. :D

4 minutes ago, OlympicAssEater said:

Get something like a credit card slide between the cooler and the amd hs to get disconnect the thermal paste?

I think even the edge of a credit card would be too thick. You'd have to shave it down or find a proper wedging tool.

1 minute ago, Windows7ge said:

I think you'd be better off just running a 5min CPU stress test then. :D

I think even the edge of a credit card would be too thick. You'd have to shave it down or find a proper wedging tool.

So you recommend running a stress test for 5 mins to warm the thermal paste then IMMEDIATELY open up the computer then twist the cooler left to right until the cooler feel loose?

2 minutes ago, OlympicAssEater said:

So you recommend running a stress test for 5 mins to warm the thermal paste then IMMEDIATELY open up the computer then twist the cooler left to right until the cooler feel loose?

Assuming you're using a paste that doesn't turn into chalk it shouldn't be necessary. I have had pastes where it did kind of lock itself on there and I had to "break" the paste to get the cooler off (like the cooler wouldn't move. Like it was glued.) but persistent enough rotating side to side and gently tipping the cooler side to side will break the suction holding it to the CPU without pulling the CPU out of the socket.

13 minutes ago, Jameskojiro said:

Yeah, it was the fan I was working with, the brackets made it really difficult to twist. I threw that fan in the box to return, and I put my wraith stealth cooler back on.

So, as instructed I removed the wraith cooler to show you guys my pins, I twisted and everything and the CPU came right up with it again, again, again.

It seems like the bracket has no grip anymore, I'm not sure. But I have been reapplying new thermal paste each time between two different brands.

IMG_20191201_224641_4.jpg

IMG_20191201_224634_3.jpg

IMG_20191201_224553_1.jpg

On the last picture, the bottom pin row in the middle have some bend pins!!

CPU:i7 9700k 5047.5Mhz All Cores Mobo: MSI MPG Z390 Gaming Edge AC, RAM:Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB 3200MHz DDR4 OC 3467Mhz GPU:MSI RTX 2070 ARMOR 8GB OC Storage:Samsung SSD 970 EVO NVMe M.2 250GB, 2x SSD ADATA PRO SP900 256GB, HDD WD CB 2TB, HDD GREEN 2TB PSU: Seasonic focus plus 750w Gold Display(s): 1st: LG 27UK650-W, 4K, IPS, HDR10, 10bit(8bit + A-FRC). 2nd: Samsung 24" LED Monitor (SE390), Cooling:Fazn CPU Cooler Aero 120T Push/pull Corsair ML PRO Fans Keyboard: Corsair K95 Platinum RGB mx Rapidfire Mouse:Razer Naga Chroma  Headset: Razer Kraken 7.1 Chroma Sound: Logitech X-540 5.1 Surround Sound Speaker Case: Modded Case Inverted, 5 intake 120mm, one exhaust 120mm.

7 minutes ago, Windows7ge said:

Assuming you're using a paste that doesn't turn into chalk it shouldn't be necessary. I have had pastes where it did kind of lock itself on there and I had to "break" the paste to get the cooler off (like the cooler wouldn't move. Like it was glued.) but persistent enough rotating side to side and gently tipping the cooler side to side will break the suction holding it to the CPU without pulling the CPU out of the socket.

Dang. I hope my paste is not going to turn into superglue. I am using MX4.

Yeah, that bottom row was a result of being ripped out of the bracket for the third time. I should have waited to take the pics after I unbent it. They have been unbent since then, none snapped, again.

I am worried about trying again though, they will snap eventually. I guess I'll figure out a new mobo first.

Fishing line, use fishing line like dental floss to get between the cpu and the cooler.