Dual HDMI PCIe Cards

Tufi

Hello,

I have two ONN 21.5 inch monitors that accept VGA and HDMI inputs. ONN 21.5 inch 1920 X 1080

The motherboard I plan to buy, MSI Z390-A Pro, has stock DVI-D and VGA ports MSI Z390 Pro

I wanted to know if there is an inexpensive and reliable Dual HDMI PCIe card that I could purchase in order to use the HDMI inputs of my monitors.

4 minutes ago, Tufi said:

Dual HDMI PCIe card

You mean a video card?

Tons.

You mean an adapter card that re-directs the onboard video through a card?

No. Not that I've ever seen.

NOTE: I no longer frequent this site. If you really need help, PM/DM me and my e.mail will alert me. 

3 minutes ago, Tufi said:

Hello,

I have two ONN 21.5 inch monitors that accept VGA and HDMI inputs. ONN 21.5 inch 1920 X 1080

The motherboard I plan to buy, MSI Z390-A Pro, has stock DVI-D and VGA ports MSI Z390 Pro

I wanted to know if there is an inexpensive and reliable Dual HDMI PCIe card that I could purchase in order to use the HDMI inputs of my monitors.

Any video card with digital outputs (DVI, HDMI, or DisplayPort) can have its' ports converted to HDMI by way of an appropriate cable. As long as the card you buy supports 2 monitor outputs at once (almost all do these days) then you'll be able to run both your monitors over HDMI cables.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B071LGVBDM/

What do you use the computer for day to day? Going to guess you're not gaming since otherwise you'd want to look at a gaming video card.

Desktop: KiRaShi-Intel-2022 (i5-12600K, RTX2060) Mobile: OnePlus 5T | Koodo - 75GB Data + Data Rollover for $45/month
Laptop: Dell XPS 15 9560 (the real 15" MacBook Pro that Apple didn't make) Tablet: iPad Mini 5 | Lenovo IdeaPad Duet 10.1
Camera: Canon M6 Mark II | Canon Rebel T1i (500D) | Canon SX280 | Panasonic TS20D Music: Spotify Premium (CIRCA '08)

1 minute ago, kirashi said:

Any video card with digital outputs (DVI, HDMI, or DisplayPort) can have its' ports converted to HDMI by way of an appropriate cable. As long as the card you buy supports 2 monitor outputs at once (almost all do these days) then you'll be able to run both your monitors over HDMI cables.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B071LGVBDM/

What do you use the computer for day to day? Going to guess you're not gaming since otherwise you'd want to look at a gaming video card.

My current setup is the two ONN monitors mentioned before, and an old Dell E2014Hc. The two ONN monitors receive HDMI input, however, my computer only has one HDMI output and one VGA. So, as you've already suggested, I purchased a j5 Create USB to HDMI adapter for my second ONN, and used my computer's VGA output for my Dell E2014Hc.

I would like to steer away from using adapters, the j5 Create USB-to-HDMI adapter generates a lot of heat, and I feel that it is not a proper long term solution. Since the MSI motherboard does not even have a single HDMI output, that would force me to buy three adapters, VGA to HDMI and DVI-HDMI for my ONN monitors, and perhaps a USB-VGA adapter for my Dell monitor. The thought of having so many adapters hanging off my new rig, to me, defeats the purpose of building a new rig.

You are correct, I am not a gamer, so, I do not need the fancy (and expensive) graphics cards. However, the Magewell Quad HDMI PCIe is a whopping $900, which made me reevaluate the necessity of an HDMI pcie if these are the sorts of extravagant prices they charge.

5 minutes ago, Tufi said:

My current setup is the two ONN monitors mentioned before, and an old Dell E2014Hc. The two ONN monitors receive HDMI input, however, my computer only has one HDMI output and one VGA. So, as you've already suggested, I purchased a j5 Create USB to HDMI adapter for my second ONN, and used my computer's VGA output for my Dell E2014Hc.

I would like to steer away from using adapters, the j5 Create USB-to-HDMI adapter generates a lot of heat, and I feel that it is not a proper long term solution. Since the MSI motherboard does not even have a single HDMI output, that would force me to buy three adapters, VGA to HDMI and DVI-HDMI for my ONN monitors, and perhaps a USB-VGA adapter for my Dell monitor.

I never suggested a USB to video out adapter - I suggested buying a video card capable of outputting 2 digital signals over the connection types you need. Since it's not easy to find a video card with 2 HDMI ports these days, you'd want a card with an HDMI built-in, then purchase a cable that converts from DVI or Display Port to HDMI. This is not the same as the j5 Create (or other) USB adapter because cables that convert from one digital signal to another don't usually have to convert the signal, so they don't generate heat like an active USB to video out adapter does.

Also, you never mentioned 3 monitors in your original post, so... Anywho, your best bet is to purchase a video card capable of outputting to 3 displays at once, or see if your motherboard supports running 3x displays off its' built-in display outputs. The GT 710 will output 3 displays over VGA, HDMI, and DVI, allowing you to run your Dell monitor using VGA, 1 of your ONN monitors directly over HDMI, and the last ONN monitor using a passive DVI to HDMI adapter or cable.

https://www.amazon.com/ZOTAC-GeForce-Profile-Graphic-ZT-71304-20L/dp/B01E9Z2D60/

https://www.amazon.com/AmazonBasics-DVI-to-HDMI-Cable/dp/B014I8UQJY/

Desktop: KiRaShi-Intel-2022 (i5-12600K, RTX2060) Mobile: OnePlus 5T | Koodo - 75GB Data + Data Rollover for $45/month
Laptop: Dell XPS 15 9560 (the real 15" MacBook Pro that Apple didn't make) Tablet: iPad Mini 5 | Lenovo IdeaPad Duet 10.1
Camera: Canon M6 Mark II | Canon Rebel T1i (500D) | Canon SX280 | Panasonic TS20D Music: Spotify Premium (CIRCA '08)

34 minutes ago, Tufi said:

You are correct, I am not a gamer, so, I do not need the fancy (and expensive) graphics cards. However, the Magewell Quad HDMI PCIe is a whopping $900, which made me reevaluate the necessity of an HDMI pcie if these are the sorts of extravagant prices they charge.

That card is for capturing HDMI input, not for actually outputting to monitors.

That Z390-A PRO has DisplayPort, DVI-D and VGA. VGA for the Dell, DVI-D to HDMI & DP to HDMI for the two ONN monitors.

6 minutes ago, Zagna said:

That card is for capturing HDMI input, not for actually outputting to monitors.

That Z390-A PRO has DisplayPort, DVI-D and VGA. VGA for the Dell, DVI-D to HDMI & DP to HDMI for the two ONN monitors.

Ah, ok, that was an oversight on my end regarding the Magewell card.

Thank you for the suggestions, those adapters don't seem too bulky. 

25 minutes ago, kirashi said:

I never suggested a USB to video out adapter - I suggested buying a video card capable of outputting 2 digital signals over the connection types you need. 

Also, you never mentioned 3 monitors in your original post, so...

I misinterpreted your suggestion, my fault.

I mentioned the Dell monitor to just bring a little more detail to my configuration, I was more so looking for a solution to my ONNs.

Thank you for the suggestions.

1 minute ago, Tufi said:

I misinterpreted your suggestion, my fault.

I mentioned the Dell monitor to just bring a little more detail to my configuration, I was more so looking for a solution to my ONNs.

Thank you for the suggestions.

No worries - setting up multi-monitor stuff can be a chore when you're not needing a beefin' gaming card. Let us know if you've got any other questions. :)