Is it possible to revive a phone which was submerged in water?

Hey, I have an s6 which has been dead for a few months because it was submerged into water, luckily my dad had a spare older phone I could use and so I just left my s6 alone...

Iv done minor digging into the topic and found ppl using isopropyl alcohol to combat the effects of water damage.. but they were using phones which were resenty damaged.

So is it possible to revive my s6 since it has been damaged for a few months?

Its possible to do it right away, usually taking it apart and drying everything out. Generally when you leave it sitting inside with water it will degrade a lot more then if you dried it out. Its possible to recover the files and everything unless it was just dunked and sat there in water for prolonged periods of time, but its not gonna be cheap.

Probably toast if it's been that long and it doesn't work. Phone isn't really worth trying to revive by any monetary means.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

If it's been sitting and you didn't try and evacuate the water right away, chances are the traces and solder points are full of corrosion. You may be able to take the device apart and clean off some of the solder points with isopropyl alcohol, but you won't be able to reach key solder points under the integrated chips (i know they have a name, it eludes me right now for some reason). If you had an SD card in, I'd take that out, clean the contacts with isopropyl alcohol and give it a shot.

Being me, I'd just let it soak in a bath of isopropyl and then try and air it out. But I'd only ever recommend that if you had nothing to lose and just wanted to waste some time.

Yes,  but usually you'd have to act fast.  Sounds like you didn't even remove the battery after it happened... 

I think it's toast but the isopropyl bath is about your only chance and probably worth trying since isopropyl is cheap. 

And please read all safety instructions regarding isopropyl,  because while it's generally harmless it can be dangerous as well.

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

On 11/27/2019 at 4:21 AM, Mark Kaine said:

Sounds like you didn't even remove the battery after it happened... 

It's a samsung galaxy s6... the battery is non removable. Yes, I atmit it's probably toast, but hey, I think I'll still give it a shot anyways to test my luck.

19 minutes ago, iAtomPlaza said:

It's a samsung galaxy s6... the battery is non removable. Yes, I atmit it's probably toast, but hey, I think I'll still give it a shot anyways to test my luck.

The battery is most certainly removable 

And I would recommend you to do that actually as I don't think it's a good idea to put that into isopropyl... Unlike the rest of your phone which is certainly worth a try at least. 

I would just clean the contacts of the battery - and tbh it's quite likely the battery would need to be replaced anyway,  50/50 chance... Which you might wouldn't want to do, but on the other hand replacement batteries for phones are usually cheap, I paid €10 for my Xperia Z1 battery for example. 

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

17 minutes ago, Mark Kaine said:

The battery is most certainly removable 

And I would recommend you to do that actually as I don't think it's a good idea to put that into isopropyl... Unlike the rest of your phone which is certainly worth a try at least. 

I would just clean the contacts of the battery - and tbh it's quite likely the battery would need to be replaced anyway,  50/50 chance... Which you might wouldn't want to do, but on the other hand replacement batteries for phones are usually cheap, I paid €10 for my Xperia Z1 battery for example. 

Non removable but serviceable. You cannot pop off the back cover and slip it out real quick. It requires partial disassembly of the phone. I think that's what OP means when he says "non removable". Yes, certainly it can be taken out via taking the device apart. I would recommend it before doing anything else, in fact.

24 minutes ago, TempestCatto said:

Non removable but serviceable. You cannot pop off the back cover and slip it out real quick. It requires partial disassembly of the phone. I think that's what OP means when he says "non removable". Yes, certainly it can be taken out via taking the device apart. I would recommend it before doing anything else, in fact.

And I would add to really let everything dry for a couple of days after doing the isopropyl thing... 

It might have been a long time but there can still be water in some parts and the isopropyl can stay possibly longer in some edges than one would think too - it's mostly important to  let it dry long enough to make sure any water is gone completely though. 

Fun fact my old Intel Pentium 1 PC has been pretty much soaked with water many times (it was under a window in the attic lol) but it still works,  to this day... 

I've always let it dry - upside down - whenever that happened,  and yeah somehow I was lucky it was never turned on or even connected to the wall when this happened. 

That's just how l learned that water not necessarily damages electronics, it's more the combination of water and current that does. ;)

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

6 minutes ago, Mark Kaine said:

And I would add to really let everything dry for a couple of days after doing the isopropyl thing... 

It might have been a long time but there can still be water in some parts and the isopropyl can stay possibly longer in some edges than one would think too - it's mostly important to  let it dry long enough to make sure any water is gone completely though.

To add to this, OP make sure to use isopropyl that is at or over 90% as it will flash off faster (and contains less water and more alcohol). In addition, put everything in its own bowl of rice and put a fan above the bowls to move air. Don't point the fan into them, just over top of them so air actually moves. This is one crucial step often forgotten about when people drop their phone in the sink and use the bowl of rice method of drying it out. The rice will absorb some water and moisture, but without airflow, it will stay there and continue to damage the device.