2070 Super vs 5700xt

Jordan_C21

I know the performance and pricing and value of both , take this as a poll. List the card you would get and why. Also, do you think ray tracing is interesting? Do you use nvenc? Or is it just raw fps for you?

20 minutes ago, Jordan_C21 said:

I know the performance and pricing and value of both , take this as a poll. List the card you would get and why. Also, do you think ray tracing is interesting? Do you use nvenc? Or is it just raw fps for you?

Personally i would go a 2070 super, due to my liking of the design of the MSI 2070S Gaming X Trio though if at the time of purchase this one was unavaliable and didnt look like it was going to be back in stock soon than my decision would turn to a choice between the MSI RX 5700 XT Gaming X and the Gigabyte 2070S Aorus 8GB, both designs i dont mind so i would then turn to performance benchmarks to decide between them

Personally - as someone who probably prefers AMD - I went for the 2070 Super. 

To me it had around the same value, just a tad more performance. I was also interested in certain programs that just supported CUDA way better than any AMD compute tech.

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

24 minutes ago, minibois said:

Personally - as someone who probably prefers AMD - I went for the 2070 Super. 

To me it had around the same value, just a tad more performance. I was also interested in certain programs that just supported CUDA way better than any AMD compute tech.

what type of programs were you using that supported the technology better? 

52 minutes ago, Jordan_C21 said:

I would take the 2070 Super simply because of the new tech it provides. If I didn't care about that, then the RX 5700 XT sounds better.

Either way I'm getting an upgrade.

Just now, Mira Yurizaki said:

I would take the 2070 Super simply because of the new tech it provides. If I didn't care about that, then the RX 5700 XT sounds better.

Either way I'm getting an upgrade.

what new tech does it offer, (other than raytracing unless that is explicitly what you were referring too)

16 minutes ago, Jordan_C21 said:

what type of programs were you using that supported the technology better? 

Waifu2X (image upscaling program), Video2X (program based on Waifu2X to upscale videos), I casually do some Folding at Home (which doesn't play nice with RX 5700 (XT) at the moment).

NVENC was something I was also very interested in.

The performance was also a bit more what I needed (I have a 4K display and the 2070S was closer to pushing 60+ fps in games I played)

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

Which card : Nvidia 

Why : better drivers,  better game support 

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

1 hour ago, Jordan_C21 said:

what new tech does it offer, (other than raytracing unless that is explicitly what you were referring too)

Primarily that, but Turing also offers tensor cores, mesh shading, and variable rate shading. Plus some minor architectural improvements like allowing INT and FP operations to perform at the same time can help with existing titles.

It may takes years for any of this to be really utilized, but being able to play with tech demos is fun.