Making the RISC-V move - Foundation to move to Switzerland

williamcll

EKSIfxEUEAA9hDh?format=png&name=large

The open source organisation responsible for developing the hardware instruction sets that are common in embedded systems have announced that they are moving out of the states to avoid damages caused by the ongoing trade war.

The nonprofit RISC-V Foundation is relocating to Switzerland over concerns about the impact of U.S. trade policies.

Foundation CEO Calista Redmond told Reuters that its members are “concerned about possible geopolitical disruption.” The foundation’s board approved the move unanimously after hearing members around the globe say that they would be “a lot more comfortable… if the incorporation were not in the U.S.,” she added.RISC-V is a young organization, founded in 2015 and located in Delaware, to set standards for chip architectures that are allowed to use the RISC-V trademark on its products. RISC-V is a reduced instruction set architecture that is open source technology that anyone can use to design, make or sell RISC-V chips and software for electronics.

On its website, RISC-V posted a statement at the bottom of its history page that said the U.S. has not imposed any export restrictions on the foundation and the foundation has complied with all US laws. “The move does not circumvent any existing restrictions, but rather alleviates uncertainty going forward,” the website said.“Incorporation in Switzerland has the effect of calming concerns of political disruption to the open collaboration model,” the website continued. “The move reduces concern that a government would restrict the actions of an open source organization.”Companies such as Qualcomm, NXP, Huawei and Alibaba Group are members, with a total of more than 325 in all. The U.S. Department of Commerce has named Huawei and other Chinese companies as a threat to U.S. national security.

Source:

https://www.fierceelectronics.com/electronics/risc-v-moves-to-neutral-switzerland-over-trade-disruption

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-usa-china-semiconductors-insight/u-s-based-chip-tech-group-moving-to-switzerland-over-trade-curb-fears-idUSKBN1XZ16L
Thoughts: Usual politics aside, this move should keep RISC-V development continue on a steady pace. I can see some people complain like how Harley - Davidson moved to Vietnam, but I think the best action to get American companies to come back to the states is to make it more cost effective to operate in their home country.

Specs: Motherboard: Asus X470-PLUS TUF gaming (Yes I know it's poor but I wasn't informed) RAM: Corsair VENGEANCE® LPX DDR4 3200Mhz CL16-18-18-36 2x8GB

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900X          Case: Antec P8     PSU: Corsair RM850x                        Cooler: Antec K240 with two Noctura Industrial PPC 3000 PWM

Drives: Samsung 970 EVO plus 250GB, Micron 1100 2TB, Seagate ST4000DM000/1F2168 GPU: EVGA RTX 2080 ti Black edition

Yes, good move ! Welcome to Switzerland ??

You can take a look at all of the Tech that I own and have owned over the years in my About Me section and on my Profile.

I'm Swiss and my Mother language is Swiss German of course, I speak the Aargauer dialect. If you want to watch a great video about Swiss German which explains the language and outlines the Basics, then click here.

If I could just play Videogames and consume Cool Content all day long for the rest of my life, then that would be sick.

Neat, I am very exited still for a RISC V future!

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

11 hours ago, VegetableStu said:

hero_mortal-engines-image.JPG

how i'd imagine this would play out

Any pictures with platform saddles on ARK would work too

✨FNIGE✨