Vram and ram usage...? let me explain what i mean

Albatrox

Hey thanks for coming by, so i see my gpu (gtx 1060) can take some of my ram on the mb i want to know IF we can program it to make it start using the ram on the mb when choosing the amount of Vram uses like start using 1gb of Ram when it hit more then 1.5gb of the Vram lol cause it take my ram just for 0.8gb of Vram and its annoying. anyway thanks if you can answer my weird question :)
1dd10989d7158c2a8fd27291042dee24.png.f7d4b9496f0dc4f619a67778eaaabce7.png

I'm not sure if you can change this,  but I am very sure you don't want to change this because your "motherboard RAM" will be much slower and introduce additional latency. 

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

yeah i know its 1600mhz lol but thats not the point i just want to reduce it but thanks for the advice

It should prioritize the GDDR5 VRAM first before considering system RAM, but how did you manage to force 8GB of RAM to be VRAM only?

CPU: i7-2600K 4751MHz 1.44V (software) --> 1.47V at the back of the socket Motherboard: Asrock Z77 Extreme4 (BCLK: 103.3MHz) CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 RAM: Adata XPG 2x8GB DDR3 (XMP: 2133MHz 10-11-11-30 CR2, custom: 2203MHz 10-11-10-26 CR1 tRFC:230 tREFI:14000) GPU: Asus GTX 1070 Dual (Super Jetstream vbios, +70(2025-2088MHz)/+400(8.8Gbps)) SSD: Samsung 840 Pro 256GB (main boot drive), Transcend SSD370 128GB PSU: Seasonic X-660 80+ Gold Case: Antec P110 Silent, 5 intakes 1 exhaust Monitor: AOC G2460PF 1080p 144Hz (150Hz max w/ DP, 121Hz max w/ HDMI) TN panel Keyboard: Logitech G610 Orion (Cherry MX Blue) with SteelSeries Apex M260 keycaps Mouse: BenQ Zowie FK1

Model: HP Omen 17 17-an110ca CPU: i7-8750H (0.125V core & cache, 50mV SA undervolt) GPU: GTX 1060 6GB Mobile (+80/+450, 1650MHz~1750MHz 0.78V~0.85V) RAM: 8+8GB DDR4-2400 18-17-17-39 2T Storage: HP EX920 1TB PCIe x4 M.2 SSD + Crucial MX500 1TB 2.5" SATA SSD, 128GB Toshiba PCIe x2 M.2 SSD (KBG30ZMV128G) gone cooking externally, 1TB Seagate 7200RPM 2.5" HDD (ST1000LM049-2GH172) left outside Monitor: 1080p 126Hz IPS G-sync

Desktop benching:

Cinebench R15 Single thread:168 Multi-thread: 833 

SuperPi (v1.5 from Techpowerup, PI value output) 16K: 0.100s 1M: 8.255s 32M: 7m 45.93s

i dont know dude lol it always be like that lol when i play forz horizon 4 it can use like up to 5gb of the mb ram and use the 3gb of the card but it was like this for the first time i got windows 10 i guess lol 

3 minutes ago, Albatrox said:

i dont know dude lol it always be like that lol when i play forz horizon 4 it can use like up to 5gb of the mb ram and use the 3gb of the card but it was like this for the first time i got windows 10 i guess lol 

You could try going into the Nvidia drivers and seeing if there is a Vram or ram option somewhere. Or you could check the BIOS to see if there is something in there with the ram. It could actually be good. Because if it is using 3gb of vram and 5gb of mb ram than it’s prob doing thing so that it can keep up with the work load. Your best option might be to just get a new GPU with more Vram

2 minutes ago, Albatrox said:

yeah i know its 1600mhz lol but thats not the point i just want to reduce it but thanks for the advice

Oh you want to reduce the shared memory? That makes more sense I guess.  Honestly I think there's a way but I'm not sure. 

The thing is it won't use that memory normally unless you actually run out of Vram - also I think task manager might be buggy and that information shown is incorrect. 

What you could try is set a lower amount for shared memory in the BIOS, if it has that setting - but honestly I wouldn't advise it - although trying couldn't hurt either I guess lol.  

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

2 minutes ago, Mark Kaine said:

Oh you want to reduce the shared memory? That makes more sense I guess.  Honestly I think there's a way but I'm not sure. 

The thing is it won't use that memory normally unless you actually run out of Vram - also I think task manager might be buggy and that information shown is incorrect. 

What you could try is set a lower amount for shared memory in the BIOS, if it has that setting - but honestly I wouldn't advise it - although trying couldn't hurt either I guess lol.  

It kinda can hurt cause chances are his game FPS might go down. I think it’s doing this so that it can keep up with the game load. You might want to reduce settings in game to see if it reduces The MB ram usage. It’s prob doing something similar to APU’s where it used the MB ram. How to disable that idk.

Just now, MaxTGG said:

It kinda can hurt cause chances are his game FPS might go down. I think it’s doing this so that it can keep up with the game load. You might want to reduce settings in game to see if it reduces The MB ram usage

No I meant it can't hurt trying. If performance gets worse it can always be changed back to how it was. 

I'm honestly uncertain the Bios even has this option for a dedicated GPU,  but again, trying can't hurt.  :)

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

but yeah i look at it but yeah 8gb is alot but it never use 8gb i mean i never seen it and yet im pretty sure im not alone to have that much shared i guess

my bios is a UEFI bios btw and i check everything in it and it doesnt says anything about shared memory so i think its more a windows think or nvidia.

1 minute ago, Albatrox said:

but yeah i look at it but yeah 8gb is alot but it never use 8gb i mean i never seen it and yet im pretty sure im not alone to have that much shared i guess

That's what I mean I think it's a bug.  It should use half your system RAM,  but it shows too much. 

I mean if you don't have weird issues in games I just would leave it tbh 

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

21 minutes ago, Albatrox said:

Hey thanks for coming by, so i see my gpu (gtx 1060) can take some of my ram on the mb i want to know IF we can program it to make it start using the ram on the mb when choosing the amount of Vram uses like start using 1gb of Ram when it hit more then 1.5gb of the Vram lol cause it take my ram just for 0.8gb of Vram and its annoying. anyway thanks if you can answer my weird question :)

From what little I could gather when doing some VRAM testing, 3D applications will use up VRAM first, then page stuff out to system RAM ("Shared GPU memory") when there's not enough physical VRAM to hold the data. Basically, it's the same thing like RAM to using storage for dumping stuff when RAM usage gets too full. Also when applications start using Shared GPU Memory, it seems to add directly to the application's RAM usage itself.

You can't program your application to use X amount of VRAM specifically. You can only program your application to request X amount of memory. The OS handles where that memory allocation comes from.

Just now, Mark Kaine said:

That's what I mean I think it's a bug.  It should use half your system RAM,  but it shows too much. 

I mean if you don't have weird issues in games I just would leave it tbh 

i have 16gb ram on board it make sence

1 minute ago, Mira Yurizaki said:

From what little I could gather when doing some VRAM testing, 3D applications will use up VRAM first, then page stuff out to system RAM ("Shared GPU memory") when there's not enough physical VRAM to hold the data. Basically, it's the same thing like RAM to using storage for dumping stuff when RAM usage gets too full.

You can't program your application to use X amount of VRAM specifically. You can only program your application to request X amount of memory. The OS handles where that memory allocation comes from.

hey thanks alot

36 minutes ago, Albatrox said:

I don't understand this thread.

0.8 GB  is how much memory is actually used on the video card at this moment.

3 GB is the total amount of memory available on the video card.

As this VRAM is much faster than the regular RAM it's only natural for this ram to be used most of the time.

The video card driver is what normally configures how much extra ram can be reserved to extend the VRAM. In your case, driver reserves 8 GB but these 8 GB are not locked away (blocked), they can still be used by other applications. It's more or less a "promise" from the operating system that if the video card wants up to 8 GB, it can get them.

The limitation to 8 GB is either from the driver, or from the operating system (as in depends on how big the page file is configured, how much free disk is on the drive with page file if the page file is dynamic etc)

The 11 GB is the total (3 gb vram on the video card, 8 gb maximum "swap" memory in computer ram)

1 minute ago, mariushm said:

I don't understand this thread.

0.8 GB  is how much memory is actually used on the video card at this moment.

3 GB is the total amount of memory available on the video card.

As this VRAM is much faster than the regular RAM it's only natural for this ram to be used most of the time.

The video card driver is what normally configures how much extra ram can be reserved to extend the VRAM. In your case, driver reserves 8 GB but these 8 GB are not locked away (blocked), they can still be used by other applications. It's more or less a "promise" from the operating system that if the video card wants up to 8 GB, it can get them.

The limitation to 8 GB is either from the driver, or from the operating system (as in depends on how big the page file is configured, how much free disk is on the drive with page file if the page file is dynamic etc)

The 11 GB is the total (3 gb vram on the video card, 8 gb maximum "swap" memory in computer ram)

yeah i know that much thanks but why when im just browsing the web it need to take my ram for the gpu AND for the system this is why i want to reduce it 

If it uses more RAM it's because the video card is actually used it to speed up display of your pages.

For example, let's say you have a video playing on a page, the browser may use the video card to decode the video and accelerate playback. In that case, it has to send the video to the video card.

The driver reserves a tiny portion of ram, like let's say 128 MB, where the browser copies compressed video frames. The driver then issues a command to the video card like "transfer 64 MB from this area of ram, to this area of vram on the video card and let me know when you're done" .. and this transfer is done within a few nanoseconds or whatever and now the hardware decoder on the video card can start decoding frames and put them in vram... this is how you end up having 64-128 MB of data used in the video card, and the 128 MB of ram can now be freed or reused for other purposes.

The video card decodes a bunch of frames and puts that data in vram and then driver may or may not transfer those uncompressed frames back to computer ram and then to the browser.

So you can't really reduce much the amount of ram used by the video card, it's already low and if other applications need ram, they'll get it.

ohh now i learn something thanks alot m8 so it just use it because it need it and it make it faster i guess than not using it