How to install other switches on Tecware Phantom

Dreadnought

May I know how can you modify other switches (other than Outemu) to fit into the Tecware Phantom? I remember someone saying about cutting its legs or something, I can't fully remember it.

From the manual:

Spoiler

image.thumb.png.7b021a831535227c867a811d76616558.png

You can probably insert all 'Cherry MX'-like switches. Including Cherry MX, Outemo, Gateron, Kailh, etc.

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

4 minutes ago, minibois said:

From the manual:

Hide contents

image.thumb.png.7b021a831535227c867a811d76616558.png

You can probably insert all 'Cherry MX'-like switches. Including Cherry MX, Outemo, Gateron, Kailh, etc.

I appreciate your help, although a lot of people said that this keyboard is hot-swappable, but only for Outemu switches as the pins or legs model of Outemu switches is different than other "Cherry-like" switches, so you need to do some modification on your switches if you want to install it. If not, you may bent the pins of your switches (lets say Gateron switches)

6 minutes ago, Dreadnought said:

I appreciate your help, although a lot of people said that this keyboard is hot-swappable, but only for Outemu switches as the pins or legs model of Outemu switches is different than other "Cherry-like" switches, so you need to do some modification on your switches if you want to install it. If not, you may bent the pins of your switches (lets say Gateron switches)

Well.. I see now why Outemu is a brand/line of switches I would never recommend...

Looks like they cloned Cherry MX in every way, except for the size of the pins.

Their legs are narrower, so you would have to cut the legs of any other switch, but the legs are so small already I couldn't recommend that..

Looks like Outemu is the only choice you could make in this case..

Spoiler

WHAT'S THE POINT OF MAKING A HOTSWAP BOARD WHEN YOU CAN'T EVEN SWAP A DECENT KEYSWITCH IN IT!?!?!

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

2 minutes ago, minibois said:

WHAT'S THE POINT OF MAKING A HOTSWAP BOARD WHEN YOU CAN'T EVEN SWAP A DECENT KEYSWITCH IN IT!?!?!

AGREED!! 

7 minutes ago, minibois said:

Well.. I see now why Outemu is a brand/line of switches I would never recommend...

Looks like they cloned Cherry MX in every way, except for the size of the pins.

Their legs are narrower, so you would have to cut the legs of any other switch, but the legs are so small already I couldn't recommend that..

Looks like Outemu is the only choice you could make in this case..

Reveal hidden contents

Guess I'll get a custom GK64 keyboard off AliExpress, what do you think of them?

3 minutes ago, Dreadnought said:

Guess I'll get a custom GK64 keyboard off AliExpress, what do you think of them?

Looks good!

The only thing I kind dislike about 60% boards (and that is nothing specifically against this one) is that the keycaps on the bottom right are not standard..

And personally I would like to still have F-keys too.

11 minutes ago, minibois said:

Looks good!

The only thing I kind dislike about 60% boards (and that is nothing specifically against this one) is that the keycaps on the bottom right are not standard..

And personally I would like to still have F-keys too.

Yeah I don't really like 60% board too, TKL is the one for me. But TKL keyboards don't have much customization options, for example, I can't find any wooden TKL cases, not even plastic TKL cases.

8 hours ago, Dreadnought said:

I own a GK61 and my buddy @Den-Fi owns a GK64, both of us will tell you the software can be quite a hurdle if you don't understand Chinese. The software is super concise though, allowing you to re-map pretty much every key, and also lets you set per-key RGB if you wish.

The GKXX keyboards are great hot-swappable keyboards.

mechanical keyboard switches aficionado & hi-fi audio enthusiast

switch reviews  how i lube mx-style keyboard switches

Yes, yes. Everything the absolute queen of aesthetics, @sowon has said. The GK61/64 is one of the best starter platforms out there. Lots of control and options with the only downside being limited cases since it's a proprietary. But be warned, it's a gateway drug and you'll be like us in no time. Though we welcome you wholeheartedly! 

• 2 years later...

I tried Akko CS switches and they fit perfectly on tecware phantom 87, the switches have narrow stem and hole for the led. They also have a lot of option of switches.

On 11/21/2019 at 10:32 AM, Dreadnought said:

GK series boards are pretty great